Options

P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh yes, I didn't do any double recovery days either, except once, and I cut down the mileage in the taper quite dramatically.

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Alright Gang,

Had a really great read back and thoroughly enjoyed all the stories (good and not so good) of your excellent performances, attitude and guts shown over the weekend.

Lit, Chris and 15 w- What can be said - you smashed it - BOOM!!!

SR, Mark, Dave P, Potetrmiss, Fiona- Marathon PBs arent given away in weetabix! great efforts

JF50 - That is some consistent marathon running over the years. Superb

Al runs,Stutyr,No Pain - you will all be back stronger and more resolute than before I have no doubt.

Dave P - It appears we ran most of the race together  - I crossed the line at the exact same time as you with the 2.59 pacer.

Anyone heard from .Go Caz?

Hope I havent missed anyone out

My report to follow.

• Options
    TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Run Wales wrote (see)

....I cannot see myself coming close to 55 miles a week.   If I can get up to 40, I'll be surprised... but you never know.

Exactly how I felt!  I absolutely loved the program and reached the required mileage figures. Now I'm considering upping to 70m next winter/spring image 

Pottermiss - I ran past the Brighton Pavilion and didn't realise until I saw the TV coverage.  It wasn't the only time I had tunnel vision.  The crowd may have well stayed at home on the last few miles of the course image

Chris - I used SiS gels too, but felt sick after taking one around 20m.  Maybe next year I'll devote a couple more practice runs to getting used to the gels.  My recovery is going unbelievably well!  I have to stay disciplined so that I don't run too far.  It's great weather for running nice and slow, which helps.  Previously, it has taken me a week to get my legs moving, but this time they felt great. I'm sure it's the major benefit of the higher mileage in the P&D plan.  Of course, I didn't smash out the kind of time you did in the marathon, so my experience is bound to be different.

HeOw and AG - stalking details please! 

5m recovery today. Beautiful over the Downs this morning with all the gliders, hang gliders and paragliders out in force. I enjoyed running dead slow to take it all in. Can't wait to start upping the mileage again image

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

HeOw - I'm planning on tagging on the ot 3.45 pacer at Manchester too. I'm in start Pen B. You?

Run Wales - Manchester will be my second marathon and my first using the P+D upto 55miles. My first marathon I averaged about 35 miles/week. I didn't think I'd hack the P+D mileage either, but it's been easier than I thought. Like some of the others, I've substituted some of the easy/recovery runs for cross training, to help prevent injury.

15W - the taper is going OK....I think. Got a 'dress rehearsal' 7 miles tonight, so will see how I feel then. I'm praying for a coolish day on Sunday, as I am not great in the slightest bit of heat.

Well done again all you VLM runners - some lovely stories here.

• Options

Quick moving day on here, guess nobody is leaving.  Loving the stats available from all the chip information on the VLM results site. My negative split meant some good overtaking in the last 7km, overtook 700 and only 14 overtook meimage

Has anybody seen the marathon calculator on Fetch.  They have used the running stats from people on Fetch and slightly adjusted the formula, which when you put a HM time in will probably give you a slightly slower time than you see on the standard calculators.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah - the VLM results is great. You can also replay the tracker of your run in real time!

Shazmo - looking like weather will be kind to you. May be a bit wet, may not, but don't think will be a heatwave and doesn't look like being windy either.

• Options

Someone tie me down to the bed for next 5 days please.  I have, in my taper madness, starting cleaning things that should not ever be cleaned and I moved a large heavy mirror, it fell on my thumb, bent it back, it made a crunch noise and I have spent past 2 hours deciding whether it is broken and do I need to go to A&E.  Thumb joint is all swollen and bruised.  All I can say is thank Christ it weren't my foot.

Shazmo, I am dithering re starting off around 8:40 and taking first half pretty easy and then aiming to ramp up slightly for second.  Not sure yet but if I cannot decide, pacer it is!  I will look out for you.  

For stalking duties I am number 1353.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    JF50 wrote (see)

Has anybody seen the marathon calculator on Fetch.  They have used the running stats from people on Fetch and slightly adjusted the formula, which when you put a HM time in will probably give you a slightly slower time than you see on the standard calculators.

Yeah, Tenjiso 'helpfully' linked us to it just before VLM. I was actually only 9 seconds slower than my McMillan prediction based on my half time, though. Well done for overtaking so many people! I only managed about half that, but was only overtaken by three.

HeOw, you idiot. Might as well go to A&E to be on the safe side, though I don't know if they do much about broken thumbs. Does it still look the right shape?

I notice I was 100th woman (not counting elites), but I am counting it as 99th, because #28 seems to be some bloked called Kevin.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - be careful! I can tie you to your bed if you want....

• Options

I think I was a bit closer to the McMillan calculator than the Fetch one, but none of them calculate the effect that certain start Pens might have on your race

HeOw move away from the dusters! 

• Options

Helen, I know a RunWales, if its the one his name is Chris Yorke aka Chris Runwales, a local runner who organsies all the North Wales races, Conwy Half etc.  I met him at Salford 10K, think he went below 3 hours in London over the weekend.  

Just read through all the reports, great reading I have to admit.

Sunday can't come quick enough to be honest, not enjoying this tapering and neither is my Wife. 

Just hope I can pull it all together on Sunday. My number is 3535 if anyone is interested.

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    HeOw, I'm dithering too! I've been coping comfortably with my marathon paced runs at 8.36ish and on my last 22 miler I did an overall of 8.36mm, but made the conscious decision to push in the last 5 miles and did those 5 at 8.21mm.

So my dilemma is, do I play it safe and do 8.46mm which would get me in under 3.50 or risk 8.34s or less from the start to get a sub 3.45? Or somewhere in between at 8.40!!! I feel I can do quicker than 8.34, but I'm too scared to try. Plus most of my training has been in the cold weather....I am not good at all in the slightest bit of warm/weak sun. (Praying for a cold, still say)

I'm number 11077 Sharen (like Sharon but spelled stupidly!) I will try decide what I'm wearing on the day and let you know so you can look out for me. If we decide on the same plan, it might help to run together as a distraction...but have a wee think, no pressure.
  • Options
    Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    craigtdavies wrote (see)

Helen, I know a RunWales, if its the one his name is Chris Yorke aka Chris Runwales, a local runner who organsies all the North Wales races, Conwy Half etc.  I met him at Salford 10K, think he went below 3 hours in London over the weekend.  

It definitely seems I'm guilty of identity theft - I'd certainly swap marathon times with him! Maybe I should start trolling and spamming to give him a bad reputation image

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Shazmo - follow the sub 3.45 pacer. You know it makes sense.

• Options

i'm still undecided about whether to stick with the sub4 pacing group for the first 10k, so I get into a steady rhythm (left to my own devices, my pacing is erratic at best) or head off slightly faster at 9min/miles. The difference is only a minute by the 10k mark, so i'm swaying towards sticking with the pacers til that point.

The thing is, my goal is not 3:59:59 but 3:57:05 (to beat my mates PB). so at some point i'll need to notch up the pace ever so slightly. McMillan and VDOT calculators both suggest I could run a 3:37, BUT that's based on a 10k time, and i've done all my MP runs at 9min/miles, so i'm not tempted to shift my goals in case it bites me in the arse.

My number is 16XX something. I can't remember exactly. I'll check tonight and post it up tomorrow. I'm happy to be stalked, and i'll post a race report on Monday.

• Options
    Ok - I need advice. I am contemplating running the Sunderland marathon on Sunday. What do people think?
  • Options
    Ten - I don't think pace makes the blindest bit of difference to DOMS. It's all about the amount of effort. Does that mean you didn't work hard enough?image

I was 2245 woman and passed 944 people in last 7K and 52 passed me. I still beat 62% of the male field. image
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - that is a crazy idea. You really feel up to it?

AG - follow the sub 3.45 pacer. You know it makes sense!Failing that, go for the 9 min/mile and stick to that, don't bother with pace groups.

• Options
    15w - well don't feel too bad. Just been for a swim and legs felt pretty good. Still a bit of DOMS on downstairs. There is just a bit of me wonders if I can do it. Not bothered about a particular time so wouldn't matter if I walked ran.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Bloody hell, Fiona, rather you than me.

15West, stop trying to corrupt everybody. AG, I think you should do the 9 minute miles you've trained for.

• Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

AG - what are your half marathon and marathon PB's?

• Options
    AG - I'd personally go for the 9 m/m as you've trained for that and it would be below your target time. You've already said that you wouldn't want to miss that target so why set out with a strategy that might mean you do just that.

I thought about following the 9 m/m pacer at London but decided to stick to my guns and do 9:09, glad I did as I might not have managed to hold it for the last few miles and then I wouldn't be a world record holder .
  • Options

Fiona. you must be mad. Seriously though, If you are contemplating any other targets later in the year then I wouldn't run a marathon this weekend. It's too risky IMO. The BIBLE says that you are more prone to injury when your body is tired and so you could be risking the rest of the year by doing it. Put your feet up, get drunk and bask in the glory of being a world record holder. Pretend to be in more pain than you are and get your family to cook, clean and generally do everything for you!

• Options
    ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Cheers for the weather update 15W

And is that a tongue in cheek 'you know it makes sense' ...as in take a risk for a sub 3.45 time and stick with a pacer? (Noted last years pacers were all over the place, so not sure how reliable they are?!)
  • Options
    chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

AG - if you haven't practised the pace don't do it. I did and my marathon was unnecessarily hard. Start off with 9mm and if there's still lots left in thank throw the kitchen sink and everthing at it after 20 miles. Just my 2ps worth. I may be wrong in my analysis but I'm pretty sure the pain I felt from the halfway point was down to a pace that my legs weren't used to.

Strangely my DOMS is already gone image. It was at its worst on Sunday, pretty bad yesterday and today all I'm left with is tired legs.

Wow, so many detailed and emotional race reports. I love reading them all!

Pottermiss: well done on a fantastic PB!

Al and Mark: sorry yours didn't quite go as planned, but brilliant reports all along.

Looking forward to a relaxing Sunday stalking the Manchester posse image

• Options

Fiona you need to see a doctorimageimage

• Options
    MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Fiona - Lots of others have and I am doing a triathlon this weekend subject to my legs being found in london and delivered back to me in time. A chap on another forum did a 3.02 and a 2.57 in consecutive weekends so it is doable.So the the real question isnt should but why?

• Options
    I can barely walk at the moment so the thought of running a marathon in less than a week sounds nuts!
  • Options
    15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah - you get quite a few on this forum who do multiple marathons like that. Quite a few will probably be running London and Manchester. Some people can recover quicker than others, and most, if doing two back to back will treat one as the more serious race where they push it, and the other they run it slower. Last year at Manchester my pacer for 3.15 had run a 2.48 at London the week before.

So, it is possible, but I wouldn't be able to. Takes me too long to recover. You also run a much greater risk of getting injured..

• Options

Talking of injury, my ankle has been playing up since the marathon. Just under the ankle bone on the insidee of the foot. Its sore when flexing / walking. That's not the dreaded achilles is it? image