P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Lit - I like the idea of the recovery race image.  I keep reminding myself that the reason for caution is injury avoidance. It's really hard sticking to recovery pace, especially when the heart rate is faster than usual on slow runs image. Thank goodness I've reached the stage of including GA runs and strides!

• AG - best of luck for tomorrow. We are all rooting for you.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, don't let us down AG. No pressure. image

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Best of luck Ginger and Rabbit tomorrow.

What was your number again Ginger, in case I get chance to stalk...although I'm travelling back across the Irish Sea again so might not get chance until later. 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good luck at Milton Keynes guys!

I'm off to London Zoo today with the kids, so I'll catch up tonight.

Don't be shit.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Best of luck MKers!!  What's the weather like in UK? It's beautiful, sunny and warm in Hamburg (of course it is, today is a normal work day here image)

BIG confession coming up: I've never bothered with Mesocycle 5...   image

I will probably get expelled from this forum now image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Chick - gasp! Your marathon doesn't count until you've completed all 5 mesocycles.

ShazmoAG's number is 2912.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

oh shit ... image  

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I think Ginger is through half way in 1.58....not sure if that's chip or gun time.

Hang on in there, Ginger image
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Where can you track runners, Shazmo?

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    http://www.racetimingsystems.net/Results/IndividualResult.aspx?Id=586058&Round=1562&Page=1&Search=2912

Or something like that, Lit....I'm not good with computers. After a bit of googling, I typed in timings for MK marathon and found it.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

brilliant, shaz! We can stalk image

Keep going, AG!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That's the one. Thanks! Don't know why they can't link to it on their website. Looks like he's going really well and overtaking loads of people!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hmm. Tracking not actually that 'live', though - I'm following another friend who ought to be finishing about now but the 32k split isn't up yet.

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Chick..same here, I have only followed the schedule once, but didn't have the patience for a 5 week recovery plan..

Nice and warm for the MK"ers image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

tee hee, NN! Totally agree. My legs are not up to strides just yet. I ran a grand total of 6 miles in week one and 25 last week. All runs were really easy and for once I was just glad to be out there, enjoy spring and not follow an agenda image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I don't know... I feel a bit directionless without a programme to follow, probably why I'm still (sort of) doing the recovery schedule. Will be nice to get back to more frequent running, though, rather than all these stupid rest days.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

I'm back. Waiting for the reports now.... image

Tenjiso wrote (see)

I'm back. Waiting for the reports now.... image

Give them chance to have a shower....image

• brer rabbitbrer rabbit ✭✭✭

LOL..can't get up the stairs to have a shower yetimage My, that was a warm one..phew. Managed 3hrs 31 mins 12 seconds, could not get any more out of my London-weary legs to go sub 3:30. Stuck with the pacer until mile 17 then nearly got legged up as there were so many around him, just had to back off a bit. There's no way a 7 stone, 5'1'' woman could contend with that packimage.

Cracking event, hope AG got on well. Will report back later for news.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Congratulations BR image Great time!

Cheers, just checked for final result..time was actually 3:31:19 and 12th lady overall. Well chuffedimageimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You're a WOMAN! But Brer Rabbit is a boy's name! Well done, though!

BR I thought you were a bloke too..image wow well done 2 weeks after VLM !!! amazing..good effort indeed...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah, the two weeks after VLM thing makes me feel like a lazy cow.

Last time I looked I was a womanimage I'm on a mission to complete 13 marathons in 2013 but wasnt planning to do 2 quickish ones so close together. I may implode soon!! Any news from AG?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Brer - were you in the MacMillans top?  Fantastic resultimage

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

Wow, what a day. I'm in bed now after an afternoon on the common eating, drinking and nursing a sunburnt face. 

Long story short: first half of the race felt like it was executed to perfection, i crossed the start line almost dead last, and so managed to avoid much of the crush in the initial mile or two, and could gently weave through the crowd as the field spread out a bit. I was feeling strong and comfortable until about half way, nailing 9min miles with almost metronomic precision. 

second half of the race: not so smooth. My quads suddenly began to cramp and tighten, and I gradually slowed my pace, despite best efforts not to. My mile 16 I'd lost about 2 mins on my 9min/mile race plan. By mile 20 I was down by 8 mins, and really strugglinwith stay cool, plus my quads were burning and stiff as rock. I realised sub4 was almost certainly out, and decided to just make the best of it, and get the best time I could. Unfortunately after the final 10k of running on really heavy stiff legs, the best I could muster out of myself was 4:19:16

i was disappointed, but relieved for it to be over.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

AG, I thought from my stalking it must have been something like that as your first half was so precisely on target. I think loads of people struggled with cramp in the second half due to the heat. If it's any consolation my other friend I was tracking should have been on for a 2:45 but ended up with 2:59 for the exact same reason. Again: perfect first half for his pace and cramp in the second half. AND his friend at a different pace had the same thing.

Sorry you didn't beat your friend's time but I'm convinced you're the more talented marathoner really and will prove it one day.

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

So, sub4 will have to wait, as will my mate's elusive 3:57:06 target.

i think after some more time to think about it I may be happy enough with my time but I did feel I was capable of more, sadly on the day it was not to be.

i still knocked 49 mins off my previous time from 2010, so it's an achievement of sorts, but my recent 10k times and the long runs at marathon pace all suggested a time much closer to my goal, so I'm at a loss to figure out what was so different. I had managed (mistakenly) to run 18miles in training all at marathon pace of 9:00 but my legs would not respond today beyond 14 miles, much as I tried to force them to maintain the pace. I can attribute some of it to the warmer weather, but it can't be to blame for all of it. Perhaps id not done enough long runs, although I stuck to the plan. Perhaps personally I just lack endurance and so need to get even more long miles in training than p&d suggest. Or maybe id be better sticking some half marathon races in my plan, to give me a better feel for where I am.