Ultra running book

Hi, Anyone recommend a decent book for an ultra run training for 32 miles. I have only run marathon and want to read up about type of training required before taking the challenge.

Comments

• Page 1. Train for the specific event you're running by incorporating the type of terrain used in your weekly runs.

Page 2. Add 3-5 miles to your weekly long run and 2-3 miles to your longest midweek run.

Page 3. The end
  • http://lmgtfy.com/?q=50k+training+plan image

I think a book would be a bit overkill really.

• Hi Dylan

I'd say Relentless Forward Progress by Bryon Powell is a good starter level book, with lots of info, a few schedules etc. Nice and easy to read as well, without being too basic.

• Thanks Ultra rocker. Funny you should say that as I was just reviewing that on Amazon and looked good with favourable reviews. Nice to have a positive helpful response, cheers. image
  • The only downside to RFP is that most of the content is available for free on irunfar.com - if you read ultra blogs and a few other sites, you've probably already read 70% of the book.

Still nice to have it all in one place, and available off-line image

• The other one i'd recommend is A Step Beyond, which you have to order from the States. A lot more in-depth, with some content a bit less relevant as it's race specific (ie Western States, Badwater etc) but a very good book nonetheless, especially as it has a Humour section that is very funny.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/merchandise/a-step-beyonda-definitive.shtml

• Lore of Running - Tim Noakes. Cover to cover.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

• WiB wrote (see)

Lore of Running - Tim Noakes. Cover to cover.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

I seriously couldn't finish it! I dip in and out occasionally if I want to know something specific... The biggest drawback with that is the ultra section is a bit heavily biased to Comrades from memory...