Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Lovely course David.

We'll have to investigate this champagne and PB thing...
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Champagne and PB my ears prick up!!!! 

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW20 - I watched the Eurosport coverage once I'd got home. They had a real downer about the lack of support on the course. Whilst this is true for the Elites and in the parks, the main sections were heaving and so supportive.

Brilliant.

Now then, I need to start training for Berlin as I've got some unfinished business with the clock.

• Iain- If you want to conduct some sort of research on this topic sign me up as a participant.

Orbutt- The Eurosport coverage had a pair of pretentious tossers commentating, so I wouldn't take anything they said too seriously. At one point when the runners were approaching Paris Saint-Germain's stadium the commentator mentioned Barcelona beating them in the Champions League when the game finished 2-2. They did rag on the course a bit though.

Paris Guys- Take it your giving your legs a well deserved rest this week before training starts for Berlin?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Iain/DW - as i vital part of our preparation for Berlin there is a very important question.

Can you get Guinness in Berlin?

• Don't worry about the black stuff Orbutt. Me and Iain will hook you up with some class German beer, especially if Iain gets his iphone map updated.
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Somebody say champagne? hmmm...will I have to make do with german beer if I don't get a pb?

• RS - that's how I plan to deal with the disappointment!

Orbutt - no worries. More Irish bars in Germany per head population than anywhere else in the world. (Apart from in, uh, Ireland.)
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

IM2 image

RS - stop with the negative vibes, girl. Start the mantra "I will get a PB". BTW, how's the knee?

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

IM2 image

RS - stop with the negative vibes, girl. Start the mantra "I will get a PB". BTW, how's the knee?

I'm calling them realistic vibes at this point.  Will have to see how it goes once I have my "has anything fallen off?" run on sat.  Knee is fine.  Had my post-marathon massage yesterday and he crunched quite a bit out.

• RS - good to hear nothing fell off.

Berlin baby. When's everyone's plan starting? 24 weeks and counting...!
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭
    I am doing a 16 week plan Iain...first time my training will be mainly in daylight and one hopes ok weather
  • Hey All, my Berlin Marathon training started 2 weeks ago, needed 2 start a wee bit earlier due to missing a big chunk of the year through illness. Managed 31 & 27 miles in last 2 weeks, so far so good. First Half Marathon of the year 6 weeks today in Edinburgh then it's off to Tenerife with family 2 days later. Will b taking running gear with me to train though.

At the start of the year had scheduled in a Half Marathon, which would have been this morning, but due to being ill wouldn't be fit for it and it was nice laying in bed listening to the rain battering off the window knowing that I could have been running in that!

Hope Iain, Orbutt, Kaz, Radar Sal and all the other Paris guys are having a well deserved lay-in this morning after their endeavours last Sunday
  • EHN, David - I'm not sure yet what I'll plan. I'm doing a half in 2 weeks locally and then will sit down with the P&D. Frankly, I'm gunning for a sub-4 and will be gutted if I miss it...

I think I'd rather be out running... Not at work!
  • I have no idea what to do or what to aim for :/ last weekend well and truly stunned me, and I keep thinking that if that's what happens after getting my health sorted and 7 weeks of easy running.....what is achievable??

Just planning a build up period until June when I go away for two weeks training, so proper training will resume June 17th on my return!

Ideas anyone??
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Kaz - two letters and a symbol...P...&...D.  Probably a step down in milage for you thoughimage

• My mileage is very limited just now, compared to last year, so it would probably be a good step - and I got a book voucher for my birthday!! I  also have a Paula running book which some of the plans look quite good although hard!!

• HAHAH RS.........nothing like pointing me in the right direction!!!

• Kaz - I would spend the next couple of weeks with easy runs as you will still have a lot of post marathon fitness, so a maintenance program would keep you ticking over till you start your Berlin training for real. Also you've stated that you had an injury leading up to Paris, this time might give it time to repair? P&D have some good post marathon programs you could use.
  • Hey All, my Berlin Marathon training started 2 weeks ago, needed 2 start a wee bit earlier due to missing a big chunk of the year through illness. Managed 31 & 27 miles in last 2 weeks, so far so good. First Half Marathon of the year 6 weeks today in Edinburgh then it's off to Tenerife with family 2 days later. Will b taking running gear with me to train though.

At the start of the year had scheduled in a Half Marathon, which would have been this morning, but due to being ill wouldn't be fit for it and it was nice laying in bed listening to the rain battering off the window knowing that I could have been running in that!

Hope Iain, Orbutt, Kaz, Radar Sal and all the other Paris guys are having a well deserved lay-in this morning after their endeavours last Sunday
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

HAHAH RS.........nothing like pointing me in the right direction!!!

;)

DW20 - Kaz had her appendix out in Jan (or was it Dec Kaz?) then pulled out a sub-4 PB in Paris.  she's a legend but on the Paris forum we try to get her to rest as much as possible, which is pretty impossible.  Luv yah kaz!image

• Wow, didn't realise that it was her appendix that she had out. Iain's probably the best person to advise on that. No idea why I've re-posted a message from earlier, must be that bloody Blackberry phone that I  have. Gonna hit it with a 7 iron golf club in my back garden when I get my upgrade next month. Any suggestions on a new phone for me to get next?

• HAHAH on the phone thing DW, I feel the same at times with my iphone - their great when they work properly but a right pain otherwise!!

Yip appendicitis on 31 December RS!! Hehehe you make me giggle!! image

• David - I love my iPhone 4 but don't think much of the 4S or 5... The new Sony looks good, as does the Samsung. I just don't think Blackberry are that great for functonality, apart from business-wise...

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

DW20 - I've got the samsung S3 mini. It's good!!!  The std size is also not THAT big and gives you an awesome screen.

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Morning All,

I'm signed up for Berlin, only just discovered this thread!

Ran my spring marathon yesterday, just a small local one - only marathon #3 for me but am getting progressively worse!  This marathon lark is so effing hard!!!  Managed 3:55 in Edinburgh last year, hit the wall at Amsterdam and crawled to 4:07 then yesterday all was going ok, (on for about 3:53) then injury struck at 23M and I had no choice but to walk all the way back to the finish and collecting my bag.  Hey ho.  Hopefully things will go better in Berlin, if they don't I might 'retire' from marathon running!!

• I'm not running Berlin in October - instead I'm doing Venice.  I set up a thread and seemingly no-one else is doing it....yet.  Can I jump on this thread for motivation and banter?  I ran Paris on 7th April and already miss the buzz of the Paris thread.  

• EE3 - but of course! This thread is taking its time but will - no doubt - warm up over the next few months.

The Monk - Berlin will be better; that sounds like a really tough one on Sunday. (If it were easy, we wouldn't bother!) Where were you running?

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

It was the Bungay Black Dog Marathon which is a little town on the Suffolk/Norfolk border.  Was 240 entrants and only 160 finishers so a slightly smaller scale than Berlin!  Am determined September 29th will be a PB!