Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Sleaver - welcome; another vote for Fat Tire Bike Tours. They are marvellous. Although really good for the Monday after I find, stretch the legs and all that.

I'd recommend chilling out, maybe bus tour after expo Friday, Breakfast Run Saturday and lazy day with maybe a movie and familiarise yourself with getting to the Marathon start. 

Berlin is an amazing city, the Nazi and Wall history is simply fabulous and quite unbelievable. Oh, and the Marathon is just brilliant. 

• In 20 weeks time we will be celebrating with German beer image

• P&D starts for me in 2 weeks.  Just ramping up distances a little at the minute.  Up to 18km for long run and 42.5 for the week.  Looking for 46 and 50 next 2 and that should just about get me there for week 1

• Great bit of running and bike work this week. Feeling very positive and the track session on Tuesday has already paid off with a great run today.

my official MT starts 10th June although I'm picking it up now as I have a bike race in June and a Fun marathon in July which I will use as part of my MT.

like the sound of the bus tour in berlin, I think I will do that on the Fri after expo. I'm not going to do the run on sat am, think I'm going to just relax and take it easy (may b do the bus tour and eat lots!!!)

next run Tuesday, going to go for an hours rwait new route so should be good.

• I'll do the Saturday run and, as long as I can decide on the day, may do the cycling tour on Monday.

• Cycle tour, no one told me about the cycle tour. I think I need more days in berlin!!!!

• I did the open top bus tour a few years ago. Is very good.... Especially in tired legs image

• sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Hmm, I'm thinking if I should stay for an extra day now (Thursday - Wednesday) to fit all this in and have a bit of time to just explore. What are peoples thoughts?

Althought it may seem like it, I haven't forgotton the actual marathon image Did I read someone saying that it's good to watch the roller blading marathon as well?

• Hello all - hope everyone had a good weekend.  Injury update for Edinburgh - had more physio and accupuncture - and inexpicably the pain has gone from when I walk/do stairs.  I have no doubt that I have archiles tendinopathy - but I have been cross training at the gym and pain has pretty much gone there (well it has for the cross trainer and rower - still a tiny little bit while cycling).  My initial plan was to go out on Thursday, schedule an 8 miler - if I got through it without too much pain, I was going to crack on and do Edinburgh (and of course Berlin in Sep - I know what thread this is image) I think I am going to go out tomorrow morning tho - the suspense is killing me and I've rested the damn thing for three weeks almost - figure that it will be in the same condition tomorrow than it will Thursday so may as well take a punt and see! 

Am I mad or would you guys do the same?  I'm not afraid to drop out btw - the runs this week will confirm that if I need to.

• Yip Sleaver that was me! I watched some of it last time.......amazing! Kidz and me will be watching this time.

I am going out on the Thursday, back on Tuesday.

Jase - I would be the same as you, but this comes from a girl who was out for a walk(being held up by my children) 2 days after getting her appendix out........

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Jase - if you're going to go out and give it a test, be sensible. Pick a soft surface like your local playing field not road, run at recovery pace and nothing more, run for 15 - 20 mins only (8 miles is just crazy).

if that feels good and no pain, then do it again the next day - same distance, same pace, same everything and see if the repitation brings it back again. only then start thinking about 30 mins with strides or something

• Thanks for your advice Kaz and Johnas.  Although on the face of it 8 miles seems a crazy idea - there is a slight method behind the madness.  Edinburgh is on the 26th - so either way if I choose to do it I've got to get through 26 miles.  I think having had the diagnosis, it's fairly evident that If doing it I will have pain.  The notion was that to do 8, I could see how bad the pain is and make a judgement call on whether it was even possible to attempt the marathon.  All in all - if I can do a mile or two pain free - that doesn't really tell me much about whether it's likely I'll get through it.  In my head, 11 days or so isn't going to change much in the injury.  If I was recovering, then I'd start slow and soft.  Mind you Johnas, you're probably clealry right - it's just me being stubborn.

Mind you - I did do 20 minutes on the treadmill last night (which was supposed to be five) and it was ok.  Went out this morning and did 6 miles (don't shout at me lol) and there was pain if I'm being honest from 5 minutes onwards - but possibly not enough pain to stop me doing it and getting through. 

Tricky one this - I am so stubborn and determined that a big part of me is going to go ahead - despite EVERYONE, including my physio, telling me not to !!!

• Jase - I think we have the same mentality!!image No matter what anyone says, I think youll still do Edinburgh, so just be ready for the pain! In the meantime do what you need to to minimise the risk of further injury, and take it easy although I know you wont!! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Jase - I think we have the same mentality!!image 

True - but I think that you need to have a plan for what to do especially if it goes wrong. My physio knows that I'm a fruit loop short of a cereal box so will run it anyway but knowing that -he'll strap me up or give me a 'plan' to stick to (e.g. run/walk).

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Jase-if you're that determined, i agree with emmy, see about some strapping and get a strategy. You're going to be doing 3x8 miles what happens at 8 will be different to 16 and 24 unless you are very VERY cautious. 

• My physio doesn't appear to offer anything beyond Kinsiology tape.  I've ordered some online and truth be told, it feels a little less painful with this on.  But she hasn't offered or suggested any tighter/proper strapping. 

My mind is swinging in different directions every five minutes.  I just walked downstairs at work and felt the pain and thought 'Nah - not happening' and then by the time I got back to my desk I thought 'Hell to it - let's do it!'.   I really don't like this part - every sensible part of your brain telling you to drop out but that little snippet of determination that devours everything else telling you to go for it.

It's going to hurt!!  Maybe drugging myself up!!!

• P.S  Any recommendations for effective painkillers would be welcome...something that'll dope me up but not knock me out image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Jase-Runner wrote (see)

My physio doesn't appear to offer anything beyond Kinsiology tape.  I've ordered some online and truth be told, it feels a little less painful with this on.  But she hasn't offered or suggested any tighter/proper strapping. 

It's going to hurt!!  Maybe drugging myself up!!!

Then you need to have a honest chat with your physio and get some advice and LISTEN to it. Some of the time it wont be what you want to hear; like a run/walk strategy. I got KT tape and I think it's the best thing on earth (when it stays on...). 

You need mental strategies as well. Swinging every other way wont do you any good. If you're committed - you're committed and you'll do it.

As I said - maybe your physio needs to hear that you just want to survive it.

Jase-Runner wrote (see)

P.S  Any recommendations for effective painkillers would be welcome...something that'll dope me up but not knock me out image

I do but I'd never recommend it for anyone else. What works for me; might not work for you.

• Jase- Mental strategy - Gloria Gaynor, I will survive, on ipod for the whole 26.2 miles..........your not allowed to stop it until you get to the finish line!!! imageIain will be along shortly to advice you on pain killers.........hes apparently doing a seminar about using them pre-running?

My advice is if your going to do it, which I have a feeling you will, take it easy, don't think about a time and be prepared to pull out if it gets to bad rather than be out for months and miss Berlin! Now I don't listen to advice so I don't expect anyone elst too either!image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Probably worth buying up sets of your favourite tv shows off eBay too so you have something to do all summer when youre not running and are nursing your injury

• I could re-watch Game of Thrones image

In fairness doesn't sound like I'm the only person on here who would consider doing it. 

• P.S I think the decision is easier when you don't have to make it yourself. 

• sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Jase-Runner - If it was someone else that had the injury and was thinking of running, what advise would you give them?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    sleaver wrote (see)

Jase-Runner - If it was someone else that had the injury and was thinking of running, what advise would you give them?

He already did.... (i've gone back a few pages)

Jase-Runner wrote (see)

It's one of those funny things - anyone else comes to me and asks for advice about this kind of thing and I'd tell them to rest it.  Must be a runners thing - that stir crazy feeling that comes from not  being able to exercise.  But truth be told I am going to rest it - it will be tough but I better be sensible. 

Advice from our resident man of all knowledge:

Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)

Jase - rest. 

A few pages ago...

Jase-Runner wrote (see)

I think i'm 99% sure to do Edinburgh - whether it's a good idea or not - just treat it as a 'need to get round' kind of run rather than focusing on time.

Jase-Runner wrote (see)

I could re-watch Game of Thrones image

In fairness doesn't sound like I'm the only person on here who would consider doing it. 

No. But you're forgetting that we've probably got a lot more marathon experience and know what our bodies can/cannot do. I'm by no means 'experienced' but I know what my body can/cant do and when to rest.

If Berlin is your goal - then DNS Edinburgh or get yourself a proper plan from the physio. If she says rest and DNS - then DNS and rest.

• I'd tell them not to run. 

Like I said and from the sound of it others experience the same kind of doubt - we don't always take our own advice.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jase - as Kaz says, you may also want to wait for Iain Moore's advice regarding painkillers and racing. You may be surprised by what you shouldn't take.

• Bring it on Iain Moore - advice would be awesome image

• Hi everyone, me and a friend are also doing the Berlin marathon. Very excited but nervous!!. Any tips..? Also,  did an earlier query about chin splints, anywho who has any advise on how to cure those...?

• I had chin splints once before.  Was my own fault - I never stretch my face area correctly   image

• ahh I always miss spell that word, not native English speaker FYI, obviously he he.. Any tips though on the shin image