Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Don't worry Jase - we'll be gentleimage My first experience of meeting people from RW involved getting very very drunk after the VLM and being given a piggy back to my hotel!

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Never messy. We're ladies. We drink litres of beer with class image

As do Iimage

• I'm there until Tuesday tooo!!image But I am Tee-Total. image

• David White 20 wrote (see)

Jase- It was the link on Iain's post this morning. http://inthelongrun2013.org/ It makes quite a read. Don't know about the tap water, but the big jugs a beer me and Iain had at the pub post Berlin Marathon last year went down a treat and from memory of the 2012 Berlin forum Johnas was on the Jagermeisters

Johnas' wife bought the Jagermeisters as a present.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Stephen Malcolm wrote (see)
    David White 20 wrote (see)

Jase- It was the link on Iain's post this morning. http://inthelongrun2013.org/ It makes quite a read. Don't know about the tap water, but the big jugs a beer me and Iain had at the pub post Berlin Marathon last year went down a treat and from memory of the 2012 Berlin forum Johnas was on the Jagermeisters

Johnas' wife bought the Jagermeisters as a present.

I like that you can get the jäger in little bottles to drink en routeimage

• Ok, had a bad week at work, gave blood, knackered, working this weekend, maybe 10k this afternoon, depending.

This is the issue I will have ongoing with my training.

I am rather worried P&D will just disappear and Berlin for me will be the usual trial, getting home in about 4hr30... Oh well. You know, 4hrs would be massive but I'm not going to fall to pieces if I don't achieve it.

Great thoughts for a Sunday...!

Good luck all you racers out there.

• Ps. Been posting about donating on the Paris forum a lot - I really find it inhibits my running for about a week after, never mind the effect it has on my motivation! So, I don't tend to donate within 4 weeks of a big race - still, the triaining gets the effect instead.. All for the good though.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

IM2 - how about scheduling your donation during a cut back week?

Also, try a bit of visualisation. The donation will make you feel tired, you have to work harder to achieve your normal levels. This is akin to training at altitude. It's not that you are any less of a runner after donating. You are MORE of a runner being able to train under those conditions.

Don't  think of it as doing less - accept that you are giving Moore. 

• Iain- I used to give blood, but due to training demands and the fact that my job has me teaching several fitness classes each week I sort of stopped. Reading your post about giving blood has made me feel really guilty as I have got my Silver badge for giving blood, but gave up due to how it affected my exercise. Know how you feel about feeling tired after giving blood. The last time I gave blood I was teaching Spinning the next day and about 10 mins into class I felt like I was going to pass out. Feel really bad that I stopped giving as it is a good thing to do.

Hows everyone's training been this weekend? I managed a 12 mile run yesterday, the legs felt very heavy due to Thursdays 10K, but managed it averaging 8:09 per mile. Got a 10K in Clydebank this Thursday and the Half Marathon in Edinburgh next Sunday, then it's off to Tenerife for 11 days.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW - ran a 10k today which went well. Calf injury seems behind me now so I can start ramping up the miles. 

Next race is Mersey Tunnel 10k on June 9th. 

• Orbutt - if I wasn't down for the Blaydon Race, I'd love to do the Mersey Tunnel. Next year! Good idea about the cut-back week. I'm going to try and plan better in future...

DW20 - you're doing a fair bit of running! Good luck for the 10k and Half. Let us know how they go before you nip off to Tenerife. Something to look forward to!

• Orbutt- Well done on the 10K, it's good to get a 10K in early in a Marathon program to give you an idea of where your at, also really good that your injury seems to be behind you.

Iain- Plotting a serious assault on a pb at Berlin after the disappointment last year. So far in comparison to last year I'm 46 miles ahead after 3 weeks of Marathon training. Although when I'm in Tenerife I expect to drop a few miles. 

• Starting to feel really lazy here!! No 10k's(never done 1), no half marathons to do(none near me), and no plan of action as yet..........I am away in a couple of weeks, returning on the 17th June so hoping that a plan will have formed by then!image

• Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many 20miles are people planning to do before the marathon? Thanks!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sticky - I'm looking at 3 or 4 (all being well)

• 3 or 4? - that's what I was wishing I did for the run on Sunday - only managed one 20 miler - hopefully that will change for Berlin.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kaz - I don't really like 10km's as I don't feel entirely 'warmed up'. I've got one in June a day after a marathon so i'm hoping that the 'tired' legs will help me out.

Sticky - I'll be with Orbutt on this one. If i'm doing normal training at least 4 with 2 of those being 21/22 miles.

*waves to everyone*

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)

Kaz - I don't really like 10km's as I don't feel entirely 'warmed up'. .

*waves to everyone*

Makes me chuckle but doesn't surprise me image

*Waves back*

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

discovered the South Cheshire 20m is two weeks before Berlin - really tempted to do this without 'racing' it. Gives me two weeks to recover - normally do the Great North this weekend anyway. Aiming for 5-6 20 milers over the next 18 weeks

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Hello again folks,

Been a while...  Only been a lurker on here the past few weeks as I have been suffering from a proper loss of mojo after injury in my spring marathon and an increasing love of cycling.  I now haven't run since last Tuesday, gulp!

Can I ask for some advice please?  I am putting together my 17 week training plan for Berlin (was going to do P&D up to 55 for the first time ever but feeling a little under-motivated so I fear I'd be taking on too much).

We have one day a week where we aren't allowed to park at work and I have started cycling in.  It's 13 miles each way and my day is a Wednesday.  On a usual marathon training week I do a marathon pace run of between 8 and 12 miles.  Will I be able to substitute the MP run because I am cycling 26 miles instead?  I usually run between 40 and 50 miles a week when marathon training so will I get away with 8-12 less and missing a MP run??

Hoping the mojo returns on Wednesday night, got a local 5M race and I have a shiny brand new pair of bright green racing flats to try for the first time ever!

• Well the coundown starts for Edinburgh now.....got tomorrow off, flying up Saturday.  Haven't ran for 12 days - injury feels better (but then I haven't run!)  Exciting!!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Good luck jase! And remember to have FUN!!!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jase - just don't break anything, training for Berlin starts soonimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Good luck Jase! Have a good one! I'll think of you on the start line in Koblenz image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Good luck Jase and be sensible yeah.

Monk - personally I wouldn't substitute an 8 - 12 mile MP run for a 26 mile bike ride as they are not working the same body systems and the intensity levels aren't the same. I wouldn't lose that MP run - it's far too a specific and important part of the marathon programme.

Cycling 26 miles is a good bit of cross training though and can replace one of your runs of a similar intensity. So, if you have an easy run in your programme of 45 - 60mins, I'd replace that with the bike ride and move your schedule around for the MP to take place on another day.

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Good luck Jase!!

• Hi everyone,

Got my place for the Berlin Marathon (it'll be my 2nd marathon).

I'm travelling from London - any advice on which airport to fly in, and what hotels are best (reasonably priced).

Thanks in advanced! 

G

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@GP77 - All of the Berlin airports will get you into the city quite easily. The transport connections (train/bus) are very good and quick.

As for hotels - it really depends what you want from a hotel! Best will depend from person to person. Have a look on booking.com and try to find one that will fit your budget (that's probably the easiest). I normally go with major chains but this time i'm getting an apartment so that I can cook relatively easily.

• Thank you everyone - it's nice to have support image

I'll update you when I get back to Gloucestershire. Hopefully I'll still be walking at that point lol

• Good luck Jase. It'll be fab. Enjoy.