Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Good god no Dotty1 I couldn't manage a 23 hour drinking session!  Only drinking for about 12 hoursimage

Jarred my ankle playing 5-a-side at lunch today, currently got a bag of frozen peas on right now as I type, hope it settles down overnight, I wanna run tomorrow.

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

First week over for me and I lived to tell the tale..but it wasn't pretty!! Hope everyone is getting on ok with their various plans

• What went wrong in your first week, EHN? Mine wasn't pretty either! Only managed 3 runs, very slow ( about 90 secs slower than MP.) Left leg giving me a lot of grief at the moment. This morning's run went a bit better as I tried to encourage some speed back in to my legs.

How's the ankle, Monk?
  • EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Well since Paris 2012  I have talked plenty about running Dotty but not really done anything of any substance . My interval run-was one long interval(as it ended up being a mad 3 mile dash to the mainline train station, my tempo had the distance but tempo of a snail (and I am a plodder at the best of times) and my long run was long (with walking breaks) BUT you know I am delighted to have completed it. Lets see what Friday's long run brings...the thought of a weekend dry white wine ..wines is my carrot  image

Glad this mornings run went better for you but hope that left leg behaves   

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

EHN - Just look at each run and each step at a time. I sometimes get overwhelmed thinking about all of the training -so break it down.

@Dotty - what's up with your leg?

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Thanks Emmy -great advice and I will endeavour to out it in to practice

• Emmy - piriformus. A tennis ball has become my new friend! Good advice regarding training plans, I was getting a bit overwhelmed too. Managed 10 miles this morning, without too much discomfort and made sure I stretched legs afterwards. How's your running going, do you have a marathon planned for this weekend?

EHN- good luck for your long run tomorrow. Wine is my carrot too, plus cake!
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Dotty - OUCH! I can understand! I have a few 'firm' physio friends!

Yes, i'll be running the midnight marathon in Belgium tomorrow night. Am not really too prepared as I need to work tomorrow until 5pm and then try to get to the location through the traffic!

This year - i've tried to change the 'emphasis' and focus on a month at a time. It's working so far!

How is everyone else getting on?

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Was going really well till got a stomach bug the other night. Up around 50 miles a week atm - did a 19 miler the other day in 2h15m so the pace is there already, hoping to do around 20 every weekend just to make sure the legs are used to the distance this time and not suffering in the last 5 miles. Now someone who sits near me at work has just gone off with Glandular Fever so fingers crossed!!!!

• Wow, Emmy! That marathon sounds like a lot of fun. Shame you have to work beforehand. Hope there are no thunderstorms coming your way tomorrow night and that you have an easy weekend planned so you can recover.

Andy, hope you've recovered from the stomach bug. That's great running from you. Did you do a spring marathon this year? What went wrong in the last five miles? Can you just move this workmate's desk outside? Sure they will understand! Can't have them affecting your training.
  • Just back after spending 2 nights in hospital with kidney stones, 1st time in 38 years that I have been admitted to a hospital. Anyone got any advice or had kidney stones? How will this affect my training?

• Hi All,

Playing catch up as I haven't chacked out the forum since completing The Halstead Marathon back in May.

Flights and accomodation all booked up now and training going well.

Interclub ELVIS series has really helped with speedwork, and regular long runs building again.

Thinking about a pre Berlin Half but undecided which one yet.

suggestions anyone?.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Eastendrunner - where abouts are you (i know this could be a stupid question considering your name).

Thames Meander is end of August and the half is a lovely route (i'll be running the full).

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

DW - ouch is all I can say. have you passed the stones or still got them? Running and kidney stones aren't unusual and there are a few articles about it on the net

http://www.livestrong.com/article/389661-running-with-kidney-stones/

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/kidney-stones-and-running

eastendrunner - if you can get to the other side of London, Maidenhead HM on 8th September is a well placed, flat HM before Berlin. i did it last year as an MP run and it fitted the schedule perfectly.

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Dotty - did Brighton and blew up in last 5 miles, think it was a mix of the warm sunny day after months of cold weather and taking the early hills too quick. Last year in Berlin i did 3:06 and lost most of that 6mins in the last 10k so i do not want the same thing happening - i know the speed to go 2:59:59 is there its just keeping it for the full 26 miles. 

• Emmy H - I'm in Dagenham, Essex,Thames meander sounds nice but I was thinking of Maidenhead which I have not done yet. Training for a 3:30 Marathon so a nice flat course will be right up my street.

• Johnas- Thanks for the article links. I only have one which is 5mm. I haven't passed it yet and it is giving me quite a bit of pain even though I am on pain medication. Can't imagine when I will be able to run again and this is depressing me.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

chin up DW. better to get it now than end of August / early Sept. sending positive vibes mate

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Gosh sorry to hear that David..and I also send you positve vibes.

I might also run the Maidenhead 1/2.

Emmy -don't know how you do it -wish I had half your get up go!! Respect!!

...ah weekend approaches image

• Taking on the East London parkrun chain this Sunday so could be fun.

• andyc209 wrote (see)

Was going really well till got a stomach bug the other night. Up around 50 miles a week atm - did a 19 miler the other day in 2h15m so the pace is there already, hoping to do around 20 every weekend just to make sure the legs are used to the distance this time and not suffering in the last 5 miles. Now someone who sits near me at work has just gone off with Glandular Fever so fingers crossed!!!!

Andy - unless you've been having, ahem, abnormally close contact with your colleague, you should be fine for the glandular issues...!

David - sorry to hear; PM or email me; happy to advise; I know a bit about kidney stones.

Iain

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Well ankle got better quickly and last Sunday I managed 12M so was pretty pleased.  However, am now laid up with another injury.  At 5-a-side yesterday I got upended, spun through the air and landed with a thud on my right knee and elbow.  So I now have very sore carpet burns as well as a painful and swollen knee.  I play football in a hall which is bascally a concrete floor with a carpet over the top.  So I've managed just a 6 miler all this week and it's looking a no go for the next few days.  Training for Berlin is just not getting going right now, urgh.  Sorry to hear one or two others are suffering from various ailments on this thread.  Things can only, and will, get better!!

• Good luck tonight, Emmy. Looking forward to hearing all about the midnight marathon.

Andy - I had a similar experience at VLM this year. In my case it was poor nutrition, I only used 2 1/2 gels. I really couldn't stomach them! I was on target for sub 3.20 but slowed in the last 10k , to come in at 3.23. I know I'll have to practise using gels on my LSR this time.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Monk - should we wrap you up in cotton wool?

David - Get well soon!

EHN - I'm not sure its get up and go or insanityimage

Night marathon completed last night and I'm still recovering. The wind was so violent (it was all open land) and it just felt like a constant headwind. Managed a pretty decent average pace but for some reason am really aching this morning. Had a really tough race mentally - so much so that i'm still a little 'bruised' mentally. Not sure that i'd do it again but it's definitely been an experience.

• The MonkThe Monk ✭✭✭

Emmy cotton wool, bubble wrap, might even need a plaster cast at this rate!

Good work on the midnight marathon, I find them tough enough at half ten in the morning so big respect to you, well done.

• Less than 100 Days to go image

• Not reassuring!! image

After hardly any running for nearly 3 weeks, this weekend has got me back under way! Plan is ready, now I just need to execute it!!!

• Good Luck Kaz.  

I feel well out of sorts. I managed 65 miles last week. All slow. First week back from hols. I am about 24lbs over the race weight I want to be...damn burgers/ice cream/chips etc on holsimage

• Well today has been a nice 9 mile progressive run this morning, and 5 miles tonight- 1w/u, 3 @7.4x and 1c/d. That wasn't on the plan!!! image

AGF - I know that feeling well! image