Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Not long now ... how is everyone feeling about their training?

aha sadly I have been slacking all year so I am now having to put twice the effort into my training image 

(lesson learnt)

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

3rd week into my plan and done a 7M this morning..so feeling quite good (but I always do after a run and especially as my long run has also been ticked off this week)

.....Donkey I have also been a slacker image 

• Thats pretty good EHN image ... haha its times like this you wonder why did I enter into this raceimage 

• I started my training on Monday. Yesterday was a rest day, and this morning 10 mile progressive. Hopefully I will continue to be good!!image

• I did a very very slow 10miles yesterday ... today I am just relaxing image the email from the berlin marathon today has motivated me to start running a bit more! 

• spitfire51spitfire51 ✭✭✭

to anyone who has already run an event in Berlin:

what are affordable accomodation options in Berlin?

• Hello Spitfire. I stayed over ona stag do a few years ago and there are some very clean/good hostels if you want a cheap bed. 

Luckily I am in the hilton using reward points which has made this trip nice and cheap for me. Just dont tell my wife that I have used a chunk of the pointsimage

Did my second 21 miler of the campaign this morning. Very slow (PMP +2.5 mins) but am hoping that by doing a few od these early on it will help build the aerobic base and build a platform for the faster stuff in a few weeks time !!

Hope all is well folks and your training is going "ok" ??? !!

• Spitfire, I am a student and I managed to get very cheap acoomidation using AirBnB, I've never used it so at the moment I cannot comment on how much of an experience it will be ... I can presume it will be no way near as nice as staying in the hiltonimage

My training is going okay, sadly I am not mega commited so I know I wont have a 'smooth ride' in berlin ... but I should be able to complete it :L How's yours going AGF? Is this your first marathon or have you done a large amount? 

• Hi Donkey,  the training us ok so far thanks. It's my third marathon. I completed the first, ran the second and hope to "race" this one. I say race but I mean run it as fast as I can ( well behind many others) image

hang in there With the training image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Just getting back into training after a 2 week holiday.

Today was not a good day but at least I got out the door.

Onwards and upwards

• Know how you feel Orbutt. First run today since being in hospital nearly 2 weeks ago, really struggled to do 3 miles this morning, it felt like I have just took up running. It was a far cry from the 15 miles I did in under 2 hours just 2 weeks ago. Came back from run thinking that Berlin might now be a no-no, my muscles feel really tired and sore. Going to give myself till the end of July when I'm back at hospital for follow up scan to see where I am at, then making a decision about running Berlin.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend of running.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW - it's still really early to start worrying. Give yourself time and don't push too hard - that way leads to injury

• Your probably right Orbutt, just felt yesterday that I saw 3 months of training go down the pan and felt like a rant!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

DW - everyone needs a rant every now and then and this is just the place to do it. We all understand running and injuries.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

David - Just take it easy. You'd be surprised how quickly that you can bounce back.

• Jumping into this one for the first time. 

About 4 weeks into my training plan and things going pretty well so far.

Have got the Wimbledon Common half lined up for 28 July as well as the Thames Meander Marathon on 24th August.

Current PB’s are 42.50 for 10k, 1.40.45 for HM and 3.57 for the full (on a hilly course).

Have got sub 3.30 for Berlin in my head but will see how things go with the half – maybe if I can squeeze that down to around 1.37 and train well I could be in with a shout

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Richard - welcome image

Sounds like training is going well.

I aspire to your PBs image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Richard hill - I will see you at Thames Meander hopefully image Welcome to the thread!

That's some truly cracking times!

Orbutt et. al - how is everyone's training coming along? I have just realised that I have no marathon planned until 17th August imageimageimage

• Richard, with that 10k time 3:30 is very doable if you put the miles in on the long runs. Long and slow for the stamina combined with your speed should do the trick. image good luck.

I am not planning to race anything other than park run before the big day.... As I do not trust myself (Risk of injury from eye balls out running ).I am entered for a few halfs but plan to start at the back and jog the first 5 and then PMP for the last 8 miles....

if I can get the 5k pb below 20 mins that would be a superb boost... But aiming just to lose 5-6lbs in July for an August attempt image

oh.... I am in thunder run too.... Team of 5. Hope for 5x10 laps at 55-60 mins each...

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - only just getting back into training after hols but I was actually happy to be out in the pouring rain tonight. image

Also, you have the small "In the long run" event in a couple of weeks. How many 26.2 sections are you running?

You could always do a bit of speed work to build on your recent 10k PB 

• Hi all, glad to hear you're all getting on great; my training is struggling but I'm just concentrating on getting well for In The Long Run 2013. 

http://inthelongrun2013.org

I can't wait - the next challenge is the Great North Run, then Berlin!

Orbutt - speed work on ITLR? Blimey, I just want to be able to finish each day's stretch!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Orbutt - I'm not sure tbh. I don't think that I'll be quick enough to do marathon distance. I think every day will be speed work if i'm being honest!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Emmy - don't you have a little jog across Europe between now and August marathon?  That should keep you out of trouble, shouldn't it?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Emmy - don't you have a little jog across Europe between now and August marathon?  That should keep you out of trouble, shouldn't it?

Yeah... but still image

• 6 miles in 47 mins tonight, big psychological boost after Sundays disaster! So no rant from me tonight.

Welcome to the thread all the new guys, hope everyone's having sooner good midweek runs

• That's very good David. Nice one.

a double for me. 15 miles in total. Happy !!

• Hi all,

Sounds like everyones training is going well!

Not much happening here, just plodding along trying to build on mileage.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Yesterday I bought a map of Berlin. Last night I marked the route of the marathon on it. I've now started plotted viewing points and working out the best routes between them for Mrs O.

Yup - I'm ramping up my preparation.

Now, I must do something about my runningimage

• Orbutt - glad your looking after the supporting group! I bought an Orkney flag, but they wont deliver a flag pole to here!image

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Ha ha me too Orbutt.. my non-running prep will be top notch , I guess one can't have it allimage