Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

im having a look at the weather myself and hoping it will be a tiny bit cooler than predicted...but im just hoping for a good dry day for it, nothing like a sunny dry day to bring people out!  although im assuming there is generally a big turnout of spectators in berlin in any case!

• Options

Jason - I'm with you, prefer a crisp clear day.  

• Options

16 degrees will be way tooooo hot for me...........dry with a nice light breeze would be good! 

• Options

Well done to all GNR runners

My ideal temperature would be 13°

Emmy - I start taking gels after 30 mins and then every half hour. My brother just manages with two! Each to their own but it works for me. I can't have gels with caffeine in otherwise they upset my tummy!

• Options

Well done to all those who ran the GNR yesterday.

Another belter of a GNR for me - my second.  I have to say the crowds lining the streets in that weather was astonishing.  Turning at the coast at South Shields I just couldn't get over how deep the crowds were, I simply love running in that part of the world, it's a complete and utter pleasure.

Took it very easy and so a 1:49 trot for me as I didn't want to push it ahead of Berlin, picked up a niggle with a sore little toe, but that should soon sort itself out.

I'm liking the sound of this long range weather forecast - 16 or 19 would be just lovely for me.

I usually take my first gel at 35mins or 4 miles.  Going to experiment by taking one in the last five mins before the off at this one and see how that goes.

Two weeks today we will all be celebrating!

• Options

Monk - great run. I dream of taking a half easy and coming in at 1:49.

I dream of 1:49 image

Molly - I used to use the caffeine ones and got an upset stomach too. I'm on the normal ones now and seem to be ok too.

• Options

Grrr,  two more weeks of taper. La la laaaaaaa.

• Options

its amzing how its so difficult to turn of the competitive side and taper - set off to do a nice easy 4 miles last night after the 23 at the weekend - aim was to take it nice and steady - but 5 minutes in the legs feel great and it turns into a 7 mile tempo run. Hate this taper thing! 

• Options

Taper madness begins to take its toll. Add to that, Paris registration opened yesterday. Delays, hitches, more delays. End result, I have no fingernails or hair but I have a place in Paris.

Now, just need to do Berlin

• Options

Registered for Boston 2014 yesterday image

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Monk - well done on a cracking time! I'm with Orbutt - i dream of 1.49!

marathon molly wrote (see)

Emmy - I start taking gels after 30 mins and then every half hour. My brother just manages with two! Each to their own but it works for me. I can't have gels with caffeine in otherwise they upset my tummy!

Does anyone do anything differently? I checked my gel use and realised that I only took 3 gels throughout the marathon. That suprised me a little! What gels do you use?

andyc209 wrote (see)

Registered for Boston 2014 yesterday image

Well done!

• Options

Orbutt - I did Paris for my 40th, I loved it!

Emmy - this overdosing on gels costs me a fortune!! I've tried loads and I now stick to Power Bar strawberry & banana gels. People say they're sickly but I have a very sweet toothimage.

If you manage on 3 then don't change now. My brother does 3.30 maras with just 2. 

• Options

Still going with Jelly Beans!! top of the Shopping list tonight! 

Writing lists for everything today....feeling very stressed and hopefully it will help. image

• Options

did paris a few years ago and it was mega hot!! The only time in any marathon i have ever had to walk a few yeards - that race owes me one still.

• Options

second that for powerbar gels!  use strawberry and banana myself, i thnik i also have blackcurrant ones with caffiene?  Going to try taking one prior to the start myself and probably one per hour thereafter- i dont want to be carrying too many, and i believe the gels provided in berlin are powerbar in any case?

• Options

Leeds Buddy - you need to say hello in the Paris forum too image

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

High 5 Isogel for me and will have 1 GU gel as a treat (but can only stomach that in the early stages as they are very gloopy and sweet)

Welcome Leeds Buddyimage

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Welcome Leeds Buddy!

hope that everyone is feeling good!

im another hi5 gel user and am planning to use these on race day.

• Options

Hi everyone! I just thought I would post a quick message. Just booked my Channel crossing and hotel - nothing like leaving it till the last minute. I did my last long run on Saturday night - 20 miles at marathon pace (~6:51 per mile). I am now just doing staircase reps and shorter runs. I really don't do tapers well. I consumed a vast number of gels at the VLM and despite that I bonked badly. I am now going to go back to fruit jellies instead (40kcal each) - I have done all of my recent long runs without water and fuel so I am feeling a bit more confident. A whole bag of fruit jellies is only £1 - and I usually use less than 10 in a marathon. I like the High-5 gels, but boy are they expensive!

On the shoe front I am abandonning my Brookes T7s - which nearly destroyed me in Caen - in favour of some ancient Asics Hyperspeeds. I got them out of retirement and used them in my 20 miler on Saturday and they felt good despite having been used for 6 marathons and a good few training runs....

Good luck everyone!

• Options

Debating to go with a more cushioned shoe or not?? Finding my knees a bit at the moment but could that be in my head?? Taper madness??

• Options

looks like i might be out... strained/torn ligament in hip so no training. apparently might recover enough to do a 4:30 marathon but faster and i risk tearing it completely

• Options

Kaz - it could well be taper madness, everything and anything will start aching. I always use the most cushioned shoes I have for maras, the extra 50g in weight is nothing and I'd rather save my joints and have a long running "career".

Ciaran - Oh no!! seek professional advice before deciding. The no training isn't a problem, it's the damage done+possible further damage which needs thinking about.  

• Options

that's from the professional... just finished my appointment image

• Options

Orbutt & Emmy - The old relativity thing is an odd one ain't it - I saw someone post a 1:17 time and say they took it easy, grrr!!  All the blokes at work today were like, how do you switch off and take it easy in a race?  I simply answered Berlin in less than two weeks, bigger fish to fry!

Just opened a Wiggle order of gels and got a free energy bar, handsome!

I like the High5 gels and do notice the difference in the caffeine ones.  On Marathon Talk I heard an interview where they said for caffeine to genuinely boost performance you need to cut down on caffeine in the days leading to get the maximum effect.  For my last marathon I cut down in the week leading up to the race and on the Saturday I had no caffeine at all.  That really worked and I felt a proper buzz on the day.  I'll be trying that approach again for this one.

CiaranG Gutted for you at this late stage mate.  Come back stronger for the next one bud.

• Options

Ciaran - ouch mate, that's a real blow. Gutted for you. Are you still going to Berlin? There's still the pub image

Ooh - I've just ordered some gels from Wiggle. I normally only get a small pack of Haribo as a freebie.

cutting down on caffeine? Hmm, tricky.

• Options

Yeah I'll come.  The osteo was saying 4:30 could be possible and Ive started raising money for alzheimers society - its the first time Ive run to raise money so I cant just quit.

Sadly my whole running year was based around September / October with berlin and was hoping to run a 1:25 half at cardiff and luton. I will probably pull out of the 2 half marathons.

• Options

Hello everyone!!  Don't shout at me - I know I've been rubbish at this forum malarkey but life has been so manic at the moment felt like I've hardly had five minutes to myself.  You gonna let me get back involved? image

How is everyone getting on?  Reading through, I too am doingthe dreaded taper.  Hate the mental stuff it puts you through, went out and did a tiny 4 miler this morning and felt knackered!  But I'm sure that's just normal.  However did do the Cheltenham Half marathon on Sunday, it's the first time this one has been run, and was great - I would recommend it. Not the biggest, around 1800 runners but was an excellent day.  Was aiming for 2 hour 10 (if you remember I've had and still have archilles tendinopathy) and somehow managed to come in at 1 hour 55, matching my PB.  Note to me however - definately not going to run that pace next week in Berlin.

So does everyone feel ready/confident?

• Options

ciaran sorry to hear that - i hope a bit of rest and stretching, treatment etc sees you to the start line and hopefully taking it easy means no lasting damage - i know personally i would try for berlin anyway and give the halfs a miss, sounds like youre doing the right thing - i would say just try to enjoy berlin, as opposed to chasing a time, might be a nice thing on the day?

jase - well done on the half PB, but i would say not to take off at that pace in berlin, will be fine until 13/16 and then you might find it tough...ive got the same HM PB so ill be taking it a bit slower as well!   know how you feel about the taper, did my last hill session last night and felt quite strong, but planning to keep the miles down now until the big day, only running every other day now and 8 miles this saturday is the end of the longer stuff for me!  excited and nervous in equal measure i think is more accurate for me! 

• Options

Just hit a glass table after a meeting this morning....big lump on my leg (3in below knee)....have been applying ice now...it does NOT hurt while walking, squatting.

I just hope it does not get serious.....