Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• almost scared to go out running now in case i pick up some daft injury! Ciaran, i know it may be hard but remember there are loads of marathons to come - so listen to what your body tells you, but i would also give it a go but take it easy and just enjoy the day - we all go home with the same medal.

How many miles have people done this week - really not sure how many to do. All long range forecasts are now shoing rain btw

• same here Andyc....was going for a 4mi lunch-time run, but decided not to after the incident this morning....

I am scared of people in the trains passing me virus and getting a cold, getting injuried, etc....But end of the day we do not have control of these things....As somebody said before in the thread: "There will be many marathons we can take part..." If I cannot run in Berlin I shall be happy with the 17-week training and get myself trained for Paris-2014.

Having said that I hope it just gets bruised.

• i pretty relaxed about the whole thing and I intend to enjoy myself. depending on how well my recovery goes i might be interested in being a 4hr pacer...

• Yep Orbutt, the cutting down on caffeine is far from easy.  I normally sink 5/6/7 tea's or coffees on a regular day at work, so just gradually cut down over the course of the week.  The Saturday I spent with no caffeine at all gave me a headache.  Worth it for how buzzy you feel the next day mind.

Gym then 4 miler for me today, just nice and breezy.  I am also currently my lowest ever racing weight, if it's breezy in Berlin I could get blown away!

• Monk - breeze is forecast. You need to bring your heavy shoes!

No caffeine? Wow. Not. A. Chance.

Caffeine gel at the weekend had NO effect on me at all mind...

Still shattered from near PW at GNR at weekend. Bring on Berlin. Oy.

• I am slightly concerned about the fact that all I want to do is sleeeeeepimage This is so unnormal, can it be down to the taper??? Legs feel like lead today too! image Hoping thiis will improve dramatically over the next few days???

• kaz - that's why it's Taper Madness. It makes no sense.

I keep falling asleep on the bus, my legs are stiffening up, all I want to do is eat and everyone around me is coming down with a cold. Aaaargh.

• Same here Orbutt! Sore throats and sick bugs everywhere. image Avoiding everyone......

So my sleeping syndrome is normal then! image

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

.....and I can't sleep image

• Did a mixed speed 7 on tyre, easy 8 yesterday. Down for an easy 5 with 8x 8 sec hills tonight. Am knackered so may just say sod it and have a Chibess and watch the Swans on TV instead. Dropping a 5 at this stage isn't going to harm especially as my left hammy is a bit sore

• Sir John - sounds like a sensible move.

Kaz - I may be abnormal image

EHN - I'm glad I can sleep image

• Did a 4 on Monday & 6 last night. Planning another 4 tonight or tomorrow morning & then 8-10 at the weekend.  Legs felt like they were filled with cement last night, worrying indeed image ...anyone who sniffs near me I take a few steps back, paranoid.

Ciaran, just take it very easy with some walk breaks & take time to enjoy it...I did just that in Edinburgh last year due to a chest infection.

Will be at the airport this time next week.

• Morning lovelies - i'm tired and have no energy. taper is in full flow - sorry i've beena bit absent these last months - i've been trapped in my safety bubble the Paris Thread!

Since my 1.27 at RTTB and 1.25 exploits at the GNR, i've had a few days off to give my tired legs time to recover. Last night managed a 5k at 21 mins with a 1.5 mile warm down in 11 mins.

This morning, one of my last tough-ish runs - 10 miles at 7.20 average which is my target pace for Berlin.

Havent really had time for taper madness - i am well paranoid about catching a cold and will probably start packing for Berlin tonight!

Looking forward to meeting more of you Berlinees from here - quite a few of you i already know image

• Jimbob - I've been absent throughout the entire thread image

Any news on our dinner Saturday night?

I'll try and get over to the Paris thread a little more and also fill out the spreadsheet on Vegbook - although I think Jayne has my particulars (number etc).

• Sadly I have an inflamed ankle (maybe twisted too!) imageimage 

Does anyone know if it is possible to complete this marathon in time if I walk most of it (with short random bursts of running) image

Normally I would defer ... but already have flights and accomidation thus I dont want to let them go to waste image 

Im currently putting lots of ibuprofen gel on my ankle! :P 

any advice is greatly appreciated image

• Donkey - do say 3 mins walking and 1 min running right from the start and see how you can get on but try and get into a routine so it will be easier to follow and it will help you mentally. Concentrating on your watch will take your mind off your ankleimage

• Donkey - it's 6 hours before the sweeper van I believe. It is however perfectly posssible to run-walk a marathon. I will be doing that next weekend hopefully.

You've seen a physio? Have they tried taping your ankle? Have they warned you not to run?

The Ibugel is good; be careful with oral anti-inflammatories as they have many side effects that are not best mixed with dehydration, reduced bowel perfusion and intense stress (i.e. doing a marathon).

• Hello everyone, feeling very excited reading your posts but I am so nervous about this marathon, I was meant to be running Boston this year but 2 weeks before I suffered a prolapsed disc and there was absolutely no way I could run, still went to Boston (as I had already paid for everything)  and limped around the 5k race in a heart breaking 56 minutes.image. I had a discectomy in May and have had to take the training really slowly. Unfortunately I still have nerve damage to my right foot and leg which means that my left leg is doing all the work and I have a lot of pain in my hip as its compensating for my lazy leg. Really hoping that I can get through the race in one piece and then I plan to rest a bit before starting to think about Boston 2014. Good luck everyone x

• Thanks for the advice Iain and Molly image from the sounds of it a few of us are injured image 

Id be so gutted if I cant finish due to being too slow! 

• Hi Nicola. Wow you've had a hard time of it. Nice and easy does it and review how you feel all the time.

hope it all goes well for you

• Should've done 5 inc 3M threshold today but life - and by that I mean the unexpected bombshells it occaisionally delivers - got in the way.  Ho hum.

People at work dropping like flies with bugs too.  Me on the other hand am doing fineimage - no taper madness, no lack of or over sleeping, diet's great and legs feel in top condition.  Since finding out my Ethiopian runner weight yesterday I have today sank a whole tub of Ben & Jerry's.

Will endeavour to run off the B&J's tomorrow by knocking out a threshold tomorrow lunchtime, then I quite fancy a parkrun course PB on Saturday.  Seem to favour short, sharp runs at the minute, will ease right off the pace after Saturday.

Don't let the taper madness get to ya guys!

ps. this time next week I will have arrived in Berlin image

• Chownsie wrote (see)

Jimbob - I've been absent throughout the entire thread image

Any news on our dinner Saturday night?

I'll try and get over to the Paris thread a little more and also fill out the spreadsheet on Vegbook - although I think Jayne has my particulars (number etc).

No news yet on the din dins but Iain is Berlin Dad, and "RS" is my boss for the entire time I am in Berlin ......

• Oh that's interesting Leeds Buddy, I'm going to get taped up on Friday morning so I'm encouraged that you think it worked for you, I'll try anything!

• taper madness not quite taking me just yet, nice tempo session at the local track tonight, felt really smooth and effortless, i hope i can say the same next sunday!  less than a week now until travelling to berlin, flying out of dublin on the thursday morning, then hopefullly hunt around to find the expo that day, get it out of the way and relax a bit knowing im ready!

• started with sore throat last night......honestly I do not know what has been going on me lately.....

we cannot lose faith I guess!!!

• Trying to eat well & the Mrs only comes home last night with a cookie dough cheesecake, it was for her work though so luckily I was only allowed 1 slice...my god it was good & I hope it's gone by the time I get home tonight. (or do I)

3 and a half this morning, just nice to be out. Weather looking half decent this weekend. Berlin forecast looking ok at the moment.

• Taper madness has hit in this week. I'm feeling really tired and I can't be bothered with training and at the same time I'm worried that I have not done enough in terms of long runs (only one 20) and not looking forward to the marathon at all. Recovery from last weeks Great North Run has also took longer than normal. Did an easy 6 mile run in 48 mins on Wednesday and going to do 10 miles tomorrow.

Hope everyone enjoys the last weekend before the marathon.

• Afternoon all. This might be my 1st runners world post since 2007. 

I'm really excited about Berlin this year, my first marathon for a while, and I'm taking 18 of my clubmates with me to pound the streets of Germany. Great to see a strong British contingent of all abilities and levels taking the challenge next weekend.

I'm just sorry to read of so many people struggling with injury in the taper. There's not long to go now and as I read this week, "There's not a lot you can do to improve your marathon in the taper... but there's plenty you can do to mess it up!"

• Hello y2Jimbob - we've got another Jimbob doing Berlin too. 

Wow, shed loads of Brits. 

Have you seen the pub location for post race drinkies?