Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Here we go...just having some porridge now & will be out the door at 7:15.

Have a good run everyone, and enjoy the beer after. image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Kingkenny - what are you wearing? Or your numbwr.the shadies group want to find you!!!! We'll be at the park by 8.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I tried to PM you my number but you havent had it enabled

• ooops sorry! , I met up with my brother at 7:45 at the Brandenburg station, then his wife had to run back to the apartment to get his cap and a map. So we didn't start heading to the pens until half 8!

Anyways, considering I could hardly swallow or speak and my shin was hurting..I'm really pleased how it went. Popped loads of pills & did first 6 at 10:30 pace just to see how things felt and then did the rest around 9:30 pace I think, came in at 4:21:44 according to the app so 21 mins PB image . Feel like shit now though!!!  Ha ha. 

fanatstic event, great support all round, mayhem at the water stations but always will be with that many runners. Loved the blues band somewhere in the 2nd half, could have quite happily stopped there with a pint for the rest of the afternoon.

I see the world record got beat today, great running.

How did everyone do? 

• If anyone reads this, I'm in Georgbrau at a table for 2 left of the entry. Almost bald head, green finisher shirt, and black jacket hung on back of seat. Likely to be playing with my phone.

• Got to georgebrau... don't know what anyone looks like... havomg a beer then goimg home

• Ciaran, looks like I left just after you arrived. I was stuck in a side room.

• Its ok sat for a beer and got surrounded by obnoxious Spanish people! (Not all Spanish are obnoxious to be fair)Heading back to the hostel to drink!

• Stephen and Ciaran - sorry we missed you, I arrived about 1910 and there were a few of us with our medals right in the middle by the bar... But - next time! Hope you'd a chilled night anyway.

So, Berlin. What a marathon! Loved it. Love the city, the crowd, the architecture, the lack of hills, the history (in no particular order) - my 3rd Berlin marathon done yesterday. And that's it, no more, various reasons: the ballot, been here a lot, MCM entry for next Autumn; I won't go for Berlin again.

However, it does mean when I come back to this great city, I can enjoy it without having to complete a marathon as well when I'm here! I look forward to that.

Happy Monday to you all - and not too many pains and aches, great meeting some of you last night. Well done, all!

• Safe journey's home everyoneimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Well done everyone. I had a hard day out. Was pushed over at 2km and was so angry that i ran hard to a new pb! 3.55 and my first sub 4. I, like Iain - wont be back. The crowds, baggage issues and the congestion made it a struggling day out for me.

• Well done Emmy - use that anger next time for another PB

For me it was the best weekend ever - Accepted into Boston on the Tuesday, accepted into London on the Thursday then to top it all off a 9:30m PB and a shiny new sub 3 hour time of 2:57:27 - I nearly cried to be honest on crossing the line - the emotion of finally achieving it a few weeks after my Gran died who was a massive fan of my running was just surreal. I went out like a train and did a 1:26 first half, passing the 3hr pacers after about 6km then somehow held on just hoping they would not pass me again. Then about 5km out they did catch me up and started going into the distance but i said to myself i have one shot at this now and somehow found more to do my fastest 5km of the race and re-overtake them about 1km out and then was in so much pain that i completely phased out all the cheering at the finish and just watched that clock, crossing the line with 2:59 showing. Emmy - I owe you - maybe having my gels earlier meant i had the pace at the end image. Will report back more on the day once its settled in - I am now officially a sub 3hr runner - its weird!!!

• Emmy H wrote (see)

Well done everyone. I had a hard day out. Was pushed over at 2km and was so angry that i ran hard to a new pb! 3.55 and my first sub 4. I, like Iain - wont be back. The crowds, baggage issues and the congestion made it a struggling day out for me.

What were the baggage issues? I thought it was all very well organised around that square. Easy to drop, easy to collect. Sorry to hear you had difficulties.

• Well done everyone!

3.10 for me and my first marathon completed! image

Can only reiterate what others have said. Berlin is a great city and the marathon was simply awesome. Great support from the crowd who came out to watch in their thousands, they were brilliant. Thank you Berlin!

• How was everyones run?

Congratulations on the great times Andy and Cornwall!!

Sadly I had to defer my entry to next year due to my injury (which I assumed was inflamation/ sprain) turning out to be a hairline fracture image 

And I got declined from the London Marathon! haha what a sucky weekend!

If anyone stayed at an amazing hotel which was cheap feel free to let me know the nameimage 

Once again, well done to everyone who completed the marathon! I am so envious.

• Well done Everyone! Great PB's Andy and Emmy. image

As some of you know I had a really tough day yesterday. Started off well but stomach issues from 15km and struggled with the heat from 20km(the joys of being from the far  north), being sick at 25km saw me reduce to walk run the second half.....finishing in 3.59.58 - Thanx to the couple that spurred me on in the last 1km! 

Woke up today with sore throat and ringing ears and shivers.....image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Hello All. 

I enjoyed Berlin but thought the anticipated German efficiency was on holiday. Outgoing flights were late due to late incoming flights. The train to the expo ha me going the wrong way at one point, due to the shuttle service. The Expo was a real zoo with no signage and massive queues. 

The actual race was better though. Got into the pens easily - although a lack of loos meant two trips to the trees and the use of a bootle. Thought the build up to the start was good and from pen H to crossing the line was 27 minutes - much better than Paris. 

The race was a game of two halves. Felt really good during first half and ran with Emmy and Iain for a bit. Then the legs went on strike. 

Fought my way home in 4:18:26 which is an 11 min PB but I'll need to do something about my legs if I want to improve. 

I enjoyed Berlin but I think it's ticked off the list now. 

• Got home last night from Berlin Marathon.  Great race, really flat, German people are very polite and very helpful but, I have to admit, compared with London, the atmosphere cannot compare.  Whereas in London, the spectators cheer everyone, in Berlin they seemed to only cheer on their own nation.  (Can't believe how many Danes were there !)

Race itself was fine, was on course for 3.45 till about mile 20, but slowed down in the last 6 and finished 3.52.  Happy though as have been injured and had 6 teeth out (impacted wisdom teeth) so ran it on a 7 week plan.

All in all, enjoyed it, but looking forward to doing London in April.  Would I do it again ?  Nope. ticked off, but doubt I'll come back

• always amazed by how many Danes there are - was the same last year - said to the missus when i finished that if i ever run it again i am wearing a Danish top!

• Also what is it with the graffiti ?  Its everywhere  !

• They all think they are Banksy!

In a strange place at the moment - acheived ultimate ambition to go sub 3 now - its odd coming off a race and not thinking "What If?" - want to keep running but the main driving force behind it all has now gone - anyone been there before? I know i have London and Boston coming up but should i just run them to enjoy them now or will the mojo come back to try and go even faster, the problem is the difference between running a 2:57 from a previous PB of 3:06 is just way bigger then say going from 2:57 to 2:50 - it just does not have the same 'ring' about it.

• Take up triathlon and attempt to go sub-10 hrs in an Ironman - very tough.

• I was amazed at the amount of grafiti!! ... even the map inside the expo was completly written on!

• Bionc Ironman - often thought of Triathlon - the running bit and the cycling don't worry me - its the swimming in open water that i don't like the sound of? I am a decent pool swimmer but in an open lake - that does worry me a bit.image

• Well done to everyone who took part. First ever marathon for me so I am struggling with the legs a bit today. Absolutely loved it, even though I missed out on sub-4 by 3 mins due to a tightening groin in the second half.

Thought the organisation was good before and after (bit of a jam between getting the medal and baggage due to people getting apples, bananas, water etc. but not a big deal). Weather was ideal. Support was good on the whole, but there were large stretches where people just seemed to be staring at you run past. Thanks to all the Danish supporters who mistook my British Heart Foundation for a Denmark shirt though!!

Would I do it again? I think there are others that I would like to do first. Would I recommend it? Absolutely.

• Hey everyone,

PB for me by seven minutes, 3:48.  4th marathon ticked off and finally feel like I am getting the hang of them.  Finished this one strong after running very consistent splits throughout the race, overall I am over the moon and after two nightmare marathons it's deeply satisfying to finally set a PB.

Found the course great but quite busy at times and at about 18-20 miles when I was trying to up the anti, I found a lot of gaps closing on me and those reduced to walking causing a few traffic problems.  Never picked up the pace in a marathon before so not been a problem up until now!  Seeing the Brandenburg Gate was an amazing feeling and I definitely feel more confident about the 26.2 now.

I love Berlin but have been there twice now and this is one pricey marathon to run so highly unlikely to ever return.  Next up Barcelona in March and hopefully a shot at 3:40-3:45.

Well done to everyone, very cool to take part in a marathon where the world record is set!

• Oh, and just out of interest what did other's get on their Garmin's?  26.69M, longest ever recorded marathon for me.  I suspect it's because I did far too much weaving around runners and took nearly every corner wide.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Monk - my Garmin showed 26.9. I always expect it to be out a bit but that seemed a lot. i was on the outside of a few of the bends, which wouldn't have helped. 

• I did not measure mine race but i know i did a hell of a lot of weaving this year compared to last year - I know i was running quicker but there where plently of occations i got boxed in and had to check my stride and was also tripped at two water stations particularly by people who just stop dead to drink thier water - why can they not get the water then move to the side to stop - really gets me that one as other runners are obviosuly running in for water. 

• Yeah, I tend to base my average Garmin pace on running a 26.4M race so I was surprised to see this one come out much longer.

Drink stations are a nightmare aren't they.  I tend to aim for the far end as that seems to avoid most of the carnage.  I mostly relied on my Powerade in my belt so I actually only took water about 3 maybe 4 times, PowerBar energy drink once and I did grab a PowerBar gel, but it was the sweetest sugary concoction I had ever tasted so it went straight on the floor.

Definitely the best marathon as far as energy requirements go.  7 x High5 caffeine gels seemed to do the trick, the first taken just before I started then one ever 4 miles.  Same strategy next time.