Options

Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Options

Second time in Berlin and would definitely recommend it.. Stayed on a extra few days to take in the sights ..3.03  for me so pleased with that and yeah about 26.7 on the Garmin.. Will I do it again?? Probably not but love the city and for anyone thinking of doing it .... DO IT !!!!!!

• Options

andyc209 - open water swimming is just like anything else, it takes practice. I used to really dread it when I first started tri but now I find I much prefer it to pool swimming. Most of the races my OH and I do are open water swims, either a lake or a river - river swimming is great because the current sweeps you along. Our last event of the season has a 2.8km swim in the Rhine river, the current is so fast I can swim it in the time I usually take for 1km! Come on in and join us over on Triathlon.

• Options

Well done to all who did berlin, great to see the pbs on here too! 

My 4th marathon and first outside of belfast and honestly, berlin in my opinion is amazing , a whole different experience, the organisation for 40000 odd runners is outstanding, perfect weather too and personally the first marathon I have been able to speed up near the end and finish strongly - 4.27 for me, 17 minutes faster than my time in belfast this May so I'm over the moon with it, the crowds just made it for me, support was unbelievable , it's all still a blur and although I still aim to do london one day (rejected tbird time in a row this year....) it will have a hard act to follow berlin!  

• Options

Just arrived on English soil, absolutely loved the marathon, well done everyone!

Despite not knowing where I was going to drop the bags due to the crowd etc and the usual big marathon saga, I love big events! Anyone else recommend any big marathons in Europe?

Very happy with my time, a PB, being a 2nd marathon, but more importantly, having failed 3 successive ballots, I now qualify for GFA for VMLM 2015, provided they don't change the times!

• Options

Sticky - well done on GFA - I recommend Amsterdam - flat as a pancake and total contrasts in the city/stadium start to suddenly running down the Amstel river with winmills and rowing boats - a great race.

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Lots of PB's I note..congratulations to you all..and congratulations to each and everyone of you who made it over the line in whatever form. 

It was sincerely great to meet some of you in the Georgehaus...great to put names to faces/tag names.

I am now in deep dilema as to what will by marathon of 2014..plenty to ponder on.

Thank you Berlin Forum 2013-you been a fantatsic crowd and I have learnt much and appreciated the fellow runners supportimage

• Options

Ehn - come to Parisimage

• Options

Morning all, fantastic results I'm reading, Igot 12 min pb to 3.11 which also gives me bBoston GFA 40. Chuffed to bits, got sore leg tho'

• Options

Berlin 2013 was my first marathon and I'm so, so disappointed image It was just so congested that I just couldnt get my pace until around mile 20; we even had to walk in places. I did 3:46:05 and was strong to the end but reckon I could have done it closer to 3:30 given half the chance. I do wish blocks of friends wouldn't block the path!

• Options

I think you get that whereever you go on a big city marathon, especially one with 40k runners. Given it was your first one i assume you started in pen H or whatever the back pen was - problem is you will have been in there with people doing 4,5,6 even 7 hour races so you were bound to hit traffic if doing a sub 4hr run. Next time you will be able to declare your time and get in a pen with people of your own pace. Granted you will still hit some traffic, i still did in Pen D near the front, but nothing like what you had sunday. Get another smaller UK race in - set a time nearer 3:30 and you will have a much better run on the next 'big' one.

• Options

Yes, I started in block H. You're right, Andy, if I do another (I'm afraid that the experience put me off somewhat), hopefully I'll be able to start more up the field.

• Options

Hello everyone! What about the fact that they ran out of medals? those finishing after 5h30 got poxy left over medals from Saturday and they'll get a "proper" one sent in the post. I would have been well cheesed off. 

• Options

To echo what Radar Sal said. If anyone is looking for a decent marathon next year I've got one word - Paris. Come on EHN you know it makes sense image

• Options

hi all......had a fantastic time and must say that the German crowd were outstanding.....

I had pain in both knees since km21 (pobably because of missing last 2 weeks taper and being stupid not to stretch muscles). Finished at 5:00:04, but over the moon to complete my first marathon.....Since yesterday my achiles heel (right foot) is sore and painful, hopefully I should be good next week to resume training.....

Congrats everyone and hopefully see you in Paris-2014

• Options
    EHNEHN ✭✭✭

RS & Jimbob-Paris I know you are right and it's so tempting ...going to check out the status on entry and see if I have till November to ponder (as David has his secure Berlin place for 2014 ).

...BUT Paris..well I agree it could be funimage 

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

EHN - go on, go on, go on, go on, go on image

Molly - I hadn't heard about the lack of medals. That's just wrong. It's not like they had more people than they expected. I think there were only 27000 finishers anyway. 

Spitfire. Give yourself at least a week, maybe even 2, to recover before training. Especially with a sore Achilles. 

• Options

was there really only 27000 finishers - what happened to the other 10k runners?? image

• Options

Think that's wrong. There were 27,000 men and about 9,000 women. The results only show men or women for some readon

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

EHN - Come on!! Paris will be great! You'll already know lots of people that are running!

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Sir John - I hadn't thought about that, I thought it didn't seem a lot. Never quite understood why they break it down like that.

• Options

Managed to get round in a new PB of 3.48, knocking 10 minutes from the old one.

Like the Monk I feel after 5 marathons I am now getting the hang of them, it's been repeated on these forums thousands of times but there really is no substitute for long steady runs and for me getting those into the 20 mile and a bit mark a few times will reap rewards.

I have only ever done small marathons where you are running on your own for a lot of the time so I found the atmosphere in Berlin to be amazing and the things going on during the run nicely distracting.

True it was crowded and there was some congestion at the water stations so you did have to keep your wits about you but I can't really see any way round this?

Would definitely go back to Berlin as I think I have been bitten by the big marathon bug

• Options

Well done on the PB Richard. I love the big city maras, the small races are tough. I remember in shrewsbury they had the half and the full going on at the same time. It was a lap course, the half was 2 laps, marathon was 4. We finished the half, went to the pub and had a nice roast din dins and got half cut, and when we came out the pub, there were still a couple of struggling runners coming to the end of their final lap. Ouch. At least in the busy races you get carried along a bit in the second half of the race. 

• Options

First time in Berlin. Great experience; great event. 

Yes, the medals ran out. I had an email saying they had ordered enough but that a "logistical error" had occurred. Make of that what you will. Not the end of the world. At least I'll end up with 2 medals image.

I thought the course and crowd support were generally excellent. 

• Options

My Runkeeper app didn't map the route very well. Has anyone mapped a decent version of the run that you might let me have? Thank you!

• Options

Personally, I didn't like Paris, too many underpasses. It was one of my worst runs.

• Options

Yeah, underpasses can suck (unless you're with a crowd singing the whole way through. I like to think we shaved at least 5 mins off a few times as they tried to get away) and things get strange in the woods of doom...but still hands down my favourite.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

RS - you know they loved us.

ironwolf- a few strange things about races. Lots of people rave about Amsterdam but I hate it. The canal section especially! I was really scared about Paris as I had heard so many bad things but having the support on route and from fellow runners really made it worthwhile 

• Options

Paris owes me one - did it a few years back when it was unseasonably warm - around 28 degrees. My worst marathon experience ever.

• Options
    OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

andy - I've been lucky with the weather in Paris but I have heard about 'The Hot One'. That would be a nightmare. For some reason, last year the exits from the underpasses were really hard on my legs. Don't remember them being that bad the year before

Thought the Berlin weather was marvellous but even when it was warm there was plenty of shade.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I thought the weather in Berlin was super for running. Not too hot, not too cold - couldnt complain. I thought Paris this year was a little chilly but it soon warmed up.

So... come on - 'fess up. Who's already entered the ballot for next year?