Base layers

Hoping as this is the gear section I've posted in the right place.

Can someone recommend me a decent base layer please? I hate being too hot, but on my 6am run this morning was absolutly frozen as I'm still running in just a t shirt (yes I know I am stupid).

Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Helly Hansen. They make a big selection of base-layers. The classic lifa tops are great, as are the merino wool ones.. My fave is the "Dry Revolution" range.... mega.

• For the current weather my fav combo is a light-weight long sleeve tee (I have Ronhill vizion) and a lightweight but windproof gilet. Tried lightweight jacket, which is useful if it rains, but even now it gets too hot.
  • I have an icebreaker merino top but started using it for casual wear only. It may be good in keeping you warm, but if it does get wet, it stays wet
  • HH are excellent. They're just about indestructable. I shall be wearing my 10 yo top later on tonight.  (i say 10  - it could be a lot older)

• Thanks everyone, shall look into the Helly Hansen and Ronhill ones and then use whatever birthday money I get at the weekend to invest one, not sure I'll last much longer in these temps in just a t shirt! 

• Check out aldi and lidl too. They often have running and cycling kit in. Excellent value.
  • Thanks for that cougie, I only have a Lidl near college so will try and pop in this week and see what they have got.

• Be careful with the running tights in aldi recently. I tried some first time tonight and they are quite heavily seamed in the (ahem) crotch area which caused mild irritation on a short 4 mile speed session.

On the plus side they were only 9 quid so great for cross training but i'll be back in the ronhill tracksters for running.

As Coughie says though they do some good budget gear.
  • my north face one is really nice, very soft, very comfy and not too hot, but at £30 it was a bit spendy, specially for getting all sweaty on a run, when the £4.99 decathlon ones are just as warm.

• Alternatively, field&trek and sportsdirect have a big selection of base layers image

• My best ever base layer tops came from Aldi. One is a wicking t-shirt that has to be at least 8 years old now and is still in excellent condition. The other is a long sleeve stretchy thing that's as good as any big name brand compression top I ever tried out.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    Check out aldi and lidl too. They often have running and cycling kit in. Excellent value.

Completely agree. Also look at Under Armour for base layers. I normally use layers to trap the heat (one long sleeve, one short sleeve t-shirt).

• There is a decent Under Armour Sale for Base Layer on here at the moment image

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/grantyoung_1b8a4f

• Another vore for HH - lifa dry normally but Lifa warm when it dips below freezing.

• HH all the way.  Excellent at wicking away moisture/keeping you warm etc etc

• HH lifa - 20+ year old tops still going strong - used thousands of times. But also like the lidl base layers!

• Grant Young wrote (see)

There is a decent Under Armour Sale for Base Layer on here at the moment image

http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/grantyoung_1b8a4f

Spam.

• I like UA as well. & Canterbury. I have a HH but it's not as good. UA coldgear is for when it is really cold, if you wore it now you'd probably be too hot. I wear it when the temp drops close to zero and unless I'm going somewhere exposed I'll only use one layer.

• I bought the long sleeve base layer and short sleeve & short pack from Aldi recently.  I cant believe how good they are both in terms of the job they do and the quality.  Both the long sleeve top and pack were £10 each and the only thing I'm dissapointed about is that I did not buy more.  I've spent a fair bit over the years on Under Armour, but never again if I can get more of Aldi's finest!

• Check out the Runbreeze website for tops then check ebay as they sell them cheaper on their

• HH Lifa Dry for me Awesome Base Layers
  • Thanks everyone, went to sweat shop earlier as my brother and his gf kindly got me vouchers for there and have brought the following one:

http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/details.cfm?ProdID=10382

Lady F-B your comment about the gloves made me go for this one as I quite often run with my dog who has to stay on her lead and I can't hold her lead with gloves on (don't ask its a pyschological thing) so will also keep my hands warm, and thin enough I can also do my archery in it. 

• Sammi

I've got one of those tops, you definitely won't be cold in one.

Used mine last winter in minus 6 and no other top layers aside from thin gloves, looks this this years version is better with the thumb holes when gloves might be a bit too much.