Options

10k Time - Currently ~ 40

As some background im 32 and joined a running club about 8 weeks ago. Before then I was doing the odd 5k but generally short runs in the gym as part of cross fitness. Im 6' and ~73kg. Currently ive been running one 8mile on Tuesdays for the last 6 weeks and then one other 5/10k run on the weekend for the last 2 weeks.

2 weeks ago I did a hilly half marathon in 1:37 and then I did a competition 10k on Sunday and came in at 40:11 in terrible conditions (lots of rain). My next step is where do I go from here? My current plan with the running club is:

Tuesday: 8/10mile run

Thursday: Track/ Hill session, alternate weeks

Sunday: 8mile run

This starts tonight. Is it enough and should i fit in some strength work in the gym (benchpress)? And maybe cross training (swimming) on a Sat? Lots of questions and detail but hopefully someone can provide advice! I havent really trained hard but have got a 40min 10k and would like to get this down to at least 37min (6min/mile pace) and also have time to put in the effort.

Phil

Comments

• Options

No, no and no respectively. image

Is there a reason you are avoiding running the other days of the week? Like training for another sport? If not just concentrate on running more days a week for starters - but don't jump up the mileage of days/week too quickly.

• Options

no reason at all, im just not sure what to run. I have read a lot but there is never a consistent opinion on this...

I can run more days but should i keep them short, 5k or longer 6m or even longer? Also im struggling with the easy/ hard running. Not sure I understand how often i would run an "easy" run and what the purpose is of doing it!

• Options

Hi, sorry this is a bit long winded but its from the Hal Higdon website and gives you a bit of an insight into running definitions.

Easy Runs: The runs on Mondays, Wednesdays and sometimes Fridays or Saturdays are designed to be done at a comfortable pace. Don't worry about how fast you run these workouts. Run easy! If you're training with a friend, the two of you should be able to hold a conversation. If you can't do that, you're running too fast. (For those wearing heart rate monitors, your target zone should be between 65 and 75 percent of your maximum pulse rate.)

Stretch & Strength: Mondays and Wednesdays are also days on which I advise you to spend extra time stretching--and do some strength training too. These are actually "easy" days, so don't overdo it. It's wise to stretch every day, particularly after you finish your run, but spend more time stretching on Mondays and Wednesdays. And don't forget to stretch while warming up for your hard runs. I can't emphasize this strongly enough: Advanced runners need to spend more time stretching than novice or intermediate runners! That's because you probably run faster and train harder, which can stiffen the body. And don't forget at least some strength training, which could consist of push-ups, pull-ups, use of free weights or working out with various machines at a health club. Runners generally benefit if they combine light weights with a high number of repetitions, rather than pumping very heavy iron.

Distance: The training schedule dictates workouts at distances, from 3 miles to two hours, the latter which (depending on your ability) may actually take you further than your half marathon race distance. Don't worry about running precise distances, but you should come close. Pick a course through the neighborhood, or in some scenic area where you think you might enjoy running. Then measure the course either by car or bicycle or a GPS watch. As an advanced runner, you probably already know the distances of many of your courses. When the prescribed workout (as on Sundays) is in hours rather than miles, forget distance entirely.

Rest: Rest is as important a part of your training as the runs. You will be able to run the long runs on the weekend better--and limit your risk of injury--if you program some easy training before and after. Be realistic about your fatigue level--particularly in the closing weeks of the program--and don't be afraid to take a day off.

Hills: Some hill training will help strengthen your quads and build speed. Look for a hill between 200 and 400 meters long. Jog or walk an equal distance between each repeat. I prescribed only three hill sessions, all in the first half of the program, but if you want to do more hill training, be my guest. You can substitute hill repeats for any of the interval workouts, or even in place of a Tempo Run or two if you want.

Speedwork: If you want to race at a fast pace, you need to train at a fast pace several days a week. The training schedule begins with 400-meter repeats, but also includes 800- and 1600-meter repeats in later weeks. Walk or jog between each repeat. You can do the 400 and 800 repeats on a track, although you may want to do the 1600 (mile) repeats on the road. For more information on speed training, see my book, Run Fast.

Warm-up: Warming up is important, not only before the race itself, but before your speed workouts above and pace workouts below. Most Novice runners do not warm up, except in the race itself. This is okay, because they're more interested in finishing rather than finishing fast. You have a different goal, otherwise you wouldn't be using the Advanced program, so warm up before you run fast. My usual warm-up is to jog a mile or two, sit down and stretch for 5-10 minutes

• Options
    PiersPiers ✭✭✭

Doesn't the running club have a coach that you can discuss your targets with and the way you can achieve them based on the resources you have available?

• Options

How many threads for sub 40 10k?

• Options
    To do 1:37 hilly half off an 8 mile long run is pretty good going. Your weekly mileage is low as joe says.

I do a similar program, but with extra days added, and extra on the Tue & Thu... also ran 40:12 at a 10k two weeks ago. Speed session one day when possible, and 2 gym sessions, one strength training (though heavy weight, not light diff to above, squats, single leg work to build them up) and a circuit.

Extra speed session on the Saturday, perhaps your club or some of the runners does one? Practice quarter, half, mile intervals. That would help your goal of sub 38 or lower 10k.