SDW50

Comments

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Assuming you won't get a refund (even the 75%) you might as well give it a shot. 

That said, if you do drop out, you might be hanging around a long time to get home unless you have someone supporting you.

My training hasn't been going all that well - I feel overtrained, have a cold which I've had for at least two weeks, and I haven't covered as many long runs as I'd hoped. But I'm still going for it. I have at least managed to do 3 XC marathon distances in teh past two months and might get another one in this weekend.

One thing, if you do make the cut offs, at the very least you would have set yourself a PB to focus on next time.

Go well - my wife swears by kiwi fruit and ecinancea.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

By the by - I ran part of the route Saturday between Findon and Steyning. Lots of snow, some of it 2 feet deep. Godo fun but slow going, so lets' hope it warms up over the next few weeks!

• Blimey! looks like I -did- choose the right order for running my various recces after all. Absolutely let's hope it warms up a bit - and that we get the wind blowing in the correct direction.

• Debra: Thank you for the sympathies, which are much appreciated! I think you're right. Months of focus have gone into this, it's a huge personal challenge for lots of reasons, and I'd be mad to pull out. If I give it my all and fail, so be it, but I'm not pulling out now.

Snap: You're much more trained than I! (*muttergrumble*) We can be a test case - is overtrained or undertrained better?

(And there's praying for a tail wind!)
  • Peronel it's not about you finishing or not finishing, it's about how you travel along your journey. Sorry if that sounds a bit hippie, it isn't meant to but you'll discover something about yourself no matter what and that's a valuable lesson you won't get sitting on your couch.

So I'm glad you're doing it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it however it goes
  • Any other company at the back of the pack? I think i'll be pacing for a 12 hour finish all told...

• Zulu, you're likely to be an hour ahead of me!

(That cold? Diagnosed yesterday as pneumonia. Feck.)
  • P, rest up, and hopefully you're full of beans and good to go on the 13th... My training for this ones a mess as well - reduced to long walks just to get the time on my feet.

But hopefully the weather picks up, and we all have a lovely spring day out there.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Was up between Worthing and Devil' Dyke. It was so cold that the pipe on my hydration pack iced up! Hope it warms up before April.

• Peronel: sympathies for the pneumonia - not what you needed.

Snap: I'm very please this was a drop-down weekend for me. Now wondering whether the Lakeland 50 recce next Sunday will be do-able or not...

• Hi everyone image

Looks like we are all in the same boat... I did Orion 15 and Sevenoaks Circular 30 yesterday and it was emotional.

I'm hoping the SDW is easier going as I don't think I can bare another ankle deep snow or mud filled field for a while!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

What? You did both in one day? Are you mad? Yes, of course you are, otherwise you'd be on a knitting forum somewhere. Not that knitters aren't nutters too...

• image no sat / sun so not that mad
  • It's all relative. Remember we're all looking to do 50 in a single hit in, oh... 19 days time! I reckon mad is not getting out there at all.

• I'll be at the last checkpoint to give my support for you all coming thro. at that point you'll only have 4 miles left and one hill. Hope all your final preparations go well and see you all on the 13.
  • Thanks, everyone, for the sympathies. I managed a slow two miles today before dropping in a breathless pile. I'm looking t this as the race in which I draw a line in the sand, to chase next year.

Has anyone else spotted that James expects us to be faster than those pansies* running the flat path along the Thames? They get 30 hours, but we're expected to complete half the distance in a swift 13.5! I'll have to severely limit my cake eating time. how is that fair?

(*Said entirely in jest.)
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Reviewing this, I think Ian's the only sane one here. I've only managed 2 back to backs so far. I expect this to be the hardest race ever. Peronel (comes up perineal in auto correct!) sorry you've had to count yourself out. Next time.
  • Not counting myself out! The plan is to start, then wheeze and splutter til forced to stop. Then sit at an aidstation, eat things, cheer people and wait for a lift. There may be inspecting of blisters, depending how far I get. I promise to use one hand for feet and one for cake.

But, yeah, we do seem to be a singularly undertrained and limpy bunch!
  • Snap- from your updates you say you've only done 2 back to backs and several marathon distance trail runs for your training.  I think you'll be fine!

I was feeling a bit under-trained, and probably still am, but the weekends chilly back to back (20/15) was a great confidence booster, although it was slow going in the snow and mud.  I also tried making a more of an effort with my "nutrition" (or eating as it is more commonly known) and started eating after the first hour and then a small amount every half an hour, which seemed to work.

Good luck everyone with your final weeks of training.

ps. am staying the night before in the travelodge- is anyone else?

• BSB, Is the Travelodge close? At this rate ill be in the tent!
  • Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the encouragement. Never feels like you've done enough, does it?
  • Snap! Nope, never does.

(I'll be staying with my parents, whose house will be visible at from the route at the 30mie mark. Am planning on asking my crew to meet me on the ridge there with strict instructions to knock me to the ground if I so much as think of glancing left and heading for home.)
  • The lodge of travel is about 2 miles from the start on the seafront. There is a bus that you can take most of the way or if there is a group of us we could share a taxi...
  • 2 miles? Sounds like a warm up to me image
  • Always an option...maybe an unofficial pre-race 2 mile race?
  • Ah yes, must book somewhere to stay on the Friday night...

• Cheers Bread... Not sure yet if I'll drive done in the morning or not? I'm 1.5 hrs away so its 50;50 at the mo.

Then I've got thedreaded drive home image

Switching fire, never run a Centurion event. What's on offer at the aid posts? energy bars / gels or savory snacks too?

• Ian their well stocked with gu gels, fruit, ham wraps cheese wraps, savory stuff peanuts jelly baby's etc everything you need to get you through.
  • Hi all, been lurking then the topic of food came up and I couldn't resist! Is there normally any cake/ chocolate bars? Thats what I've mostly trained with so will bring some supplies if not.

Just finalised race day plans, I'm staying at Yha littlehampton, 20mins on the train and super-cheap!

Also booked the last train home from Hampden park.. Hope that wasn't being too optimistic!