Options

GNR advice sought

Running my first GNR this weekend but am a bit confused by the arrangements at the start.

I managed to miss out on a ballot drawn orange number and hence have a white number. Seeing as I am running for charity (GOSH) my employer has given the carrot that if I can run my target time i.e. 80 min or faster he will match the money that I have raised.

Obviously, I won't be able to run a PB if there are 20 odd thousand people in front of me.

How is the start arranged and is there any way of getting either to or near the front of the mere mortal runners (i understand that the elites have their own pen).

Any advice or tips would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Explain carefully to your boss the problems of real running time v official time and I'm sure he'll honour the carrot.
  • Options
    You can just jump over the barriers at the front of the start line up John, lots of people do. From memory there are little signs indicating 6min miles etc to show where you should start from.

Best of luck with your PB and your fundraising.
  • Options
    John - don't worry, you can just mix in with the orange numbers even if you have a white number. I did just that last year. There are boards posted on the lampposts with expected finish times on them, so you just need to find the one that most suits you. Even so, it will still take a few minutes to cross the line - 4 minutes for me from the 1:30 start last time.
  • Options
    So no real security in place then which if it is the case should make things easier.

Thanks for the inputs.