TT Bike

2»

Comments

• I know nothing of biking really, but why don't Road racers use TT bikes if they are superior to road bikes, I get the implication of hills but surely there's more to it
  • Road racers draft and there's no aero advantage when drafting. They use an aero position when they can by altering their position.

Similarly at the Olympics triathlon they can draft so they use road bikes with stubby aero bars.

The rest of us in tri are treating it as a proper time trial hence trying to eke out every advantage

That's my interpretation anyway
  • Has any average rider got any stats on their rides over the same course using both types of bike? I know they say it CAN save xx seconds but in the real world how much does the average Jo save?
  • DK - I used to ride to work - 29.7 miles, with two hills (part of the Challenge Henley course). I used to average 1hr:35 on my road bike - best time 1:33.45. On the TT average time was 1:26, best time 1:23.45.

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    Well what I meant was that if you can't get in the aero position for a good portion of the race you are limiting yourself to one hand position. Which will become uncomfortable after 60miles.

That's a known problem at IM Florida which is so flat and straight that you end up on the tribars for very long periods without a break.  At other courses, even ones supposedly pretty fast & flat like Outlaw or Roth, there are enough hills and turns to give some natural breaks from the TT position.  You still need to practise long turns down on the bars though, or you'll be struggling pretty quickly.  If that happens, you lose the aero advantage of the bike and you might as well be on a road bike.

• Rafiki wrote (see)

DK - I used to ride to work - 29.7 miles, with two hills (part of the Challenge Henley course). I used to average 1hr:35 on my road bike - best time 1:33.45. On the TT average time was 1:26, best time 1:23.45.

Sounds pretty conclusive. Over 112 miles that would translate to 34 minutes of a difference. Not to be sniffed at! And I don't think riding aero is awkward at all. I much prefer TT bars to road bike ones.

• Plus, due to the steeper seat angle you run better off a TT/tri bike. When cycling it is almost like pushing back on the pedals rather than down.

• But more importantly still - they look soooo cool!!

• When tri bars came out - I bought them for my road bike. For the same effort you seemed to do 1 to 2 mph faster. 

If you get the position right they can be very comfy - they're used for 24 hour races.

• cougie wrote (see)

When tri bars came out - I bought them for my road bike. For the same effort you seemed to do 1 to 2 mph faster. 

If you get the position right they can be very comfy - they're used for 24 hour races.

I saw a budget domestically manufactured mountain bike on sale in India the other day that came with aero bars.... but they were called comfort handle-bars image

• IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Plus, due to the steeper seat angle you run better off a TT/tri bike. When cycling it is almost like pushing back on the pedals rather than down.

Is there really that much of a difference? Less of the 'oh my god my legs are going to collapse under me but I can't feel anything from the hips down anyway' sort of sensation? I just got myself a real tri bike but due to vile weather haven't been out for a proper blast on it yet and have had to confine myself to sneaking out to the shed at night and perving at it. Up till now I was using an old road bike with tri bars. Really looking forward to feeling the difference...

• Nah, you'll always get that.

Do you have a turbo? Get practising on the TT bike and build up the time on the bars over the winter. The the position won't be such a shock in the summer.
  • I read on the internet - so it must be trueimage - that due to the seat post angle on a TT bike, you are 'forced' to engage your quads more when riding, thus leaving your hamstrings 'fresh' for the run (hamstrings playing a bigger part in the old running malarkey).

• Well, I've decided that for now I'll stick to my road bike. As lovely as TT bike is, I csnt quite justify it at the moment!!

Another season on the road bike next year, then re-evaluate. I'm still a relative novice on the bike, I think I've still got gains to make before I'd get major benefit from riding a TT bike I think.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273/

There really is some shit spouted on forums...I include myself in that statement.

You'll never be confident or comfortable in an aero position unless you ride lots in an aero position. I know Cougie likes to save his race set-up until a week before racing but he's had years of ridingbut I still find it stupid - still love the guy though.

Number one biggest bang for your buck is training - do this well and you'll go fast regardless. I raced Embrunman on a road bike with no tri-bars and came home in a reasonable time. The guy in front of me at IM France coming into T2 did the same.

So do you need it - no, should you take advantage of this, yes if you can afford it, don't treat it like somekind of precious work of art that can only be ridden if its dry and on a sunday.

Its a bike, ride it. if its carbon it wont rust. Components get trashed on all bikes, i change the chain and block twice a year, accept that willl be the case.

The question should be do I get aero wheels or an aero frame - personally I say borrow someone elses wheels, you can use those without needing a fit. Get the frame if you're serious about saving time or just like shiny things.

As for all singing all dancing turbo trainers - very much a nice to have...I've had mine for 6 years and it cost £80 - still works, still hurts, still boring as hell and I'd still rather cycle outside. Invest in a couple of sufferfest vidoes or search for spinnervals and torrent - you might just find every single video available to download for free in one handy package (apparently)

• I think I'm sort of saying a similar thing, I can save my money, train harder, loose a stone and make good progress for next year.
  • yip - started writing this before your post - make a promise to yourself.

Get under 12 hours then you can have a TT frame. My first IM at Swizzzzzzterland was sub 11 on a £350 bike with clip-ons bought off eBay.

• Gary, IM Switzerland is my big race next year. Looks great, really looking forward to it. Sub 12, ha ha, maybe sub 14 would be a more realistic target image
  • Then comfort over speed would be my recommendation

• Gary Fegan wrote (see)

Get under 12 hours then you can have a TT frame.

That's what I did. My Cervelo is still in the box though, as it it literally only a frame at the moment!

• funnily enough thats my thinking too, if i got sub 12 at outlaw this year i would have treated myself - i messed up nutritionally on the bike so hence i still ride on a heavy cheap roadie with big ass training tyres. i dont care about how cool TT bikes look but i know that if i cant get my arse over that line in 12 hours a CF frame and go faster wheels wont really be the most important thing i should be considering.

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

I love my TT bike (Quintana Roo).   When it was time to buy a new bike, i never intended to buy a TT, but the price was an absolute steal, as it was last years model.  Oh and it lives in the house. image

• I have a TT bike for sale, would suit first timer or experienced, Quintana Roo which is a steal and its titanium so also won't rust, loved it but wanted to try carbon, not much difference except the ti one takes up more of the road vibes so is comfier. PM if interested, I have loads of piccies, its bulletproof and you won't find many better bargains, it could also have deep section carbon wheels for the right price (which of course have little pirate decals image)

Will be gonig on the PSOF site soon.

• Gary Fegan wrote (see)

yip - started writing this before your post - make a promise to yourself.

Get under 12 hours then you can have a TT frame. My first IM at Swizzzzzzterland was sub 11 on a £350 bike with clip-ons bought off eBay.

and it weighed a tonne !

• I live my TT bike but I can't sit on it for more than 30 minutes without it hurting. This winter is position sorting and a new saddle