Flat feet and underpronation - Asics Gel-Evolution 6?

Hello all,

I am new to running and runners world. I have been running for the last couple of months.

Currently I have just been using my running shoes I purchased for general use. They've been fine but want to purchase some 'proper' ones which suit my feet.

I am definitely flat footed but I am not sure whether I overpronate, underpronate or neutral. I understand that most flat footed people overpronate but I think I underpronate. I went to my local running shop who recomfirmed that I had flat feet but seemed to make assumptions on my pronation. Unfortunately I was not offered a gait analysis which i feel i should have asked for in hindsight. When I got home I decided to pull out my iphone and our crappy treadmill and make my own video which I feel reconfirms my opinion that I underpronate. Here is the video I made for you to see for yourselves - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHiDz0NYQrM. The treadmill messes up between 15s-23s so I'd ignore that bit.

They showed be 3 pairs of shoes:

- Nike Zoom Structure Triax+ 15 (http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-300/pid-461118)
- Asics Gel-Evolution 6 (http://www.asics.co.uk/running/products/gel-evolution-men/)
- New Balance (but can't remember the model)

I ended up purchasing the asics but after coming home and researching them they seem to be designed for severly overpronating people. I am now worried they will do more damage than good!

I have some questions:

- Are any of these shoes right for me?
- Does the weight of shoes really make any difference?
- What sort of shoe should I be looking for? - support, cushion, neutral etc
- Since I am flat footed does the pronation not matter when looking for shoes?
- If the above shoes are not suitable could you recommend some that are?
- When running do I land on my heal? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHiDz0NYQrM) Does this affect my running shoe purchase?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Dave.

Comments

• People who underpronate tend to wear the outside of the heal of their trainers. Whereas overpronators wear the inside. As I understand overpronators are flat footed (if I am wrong someone will correct me, I hope) whereas underpronators have high arches which is the opposite of flat footed. As I understand an under or overpronator just needs to purchase padded trainers not a trainer specific to under or overpronation. You say you went to a running shop, if they are any good they would be the best people to answer your questions.

• In your video (extremely helpful!) you can clearly see that your feet roll in the way when you're running. It's very noticeable. If as you say you have flat feet, I think it's safe to say you are an over-pronator. Usually just called a pronator btw, as its so much more common than being an under-pronator.

It might not cause you any bother though as you don't seem to be a heel striker. In the vid, you look like you're landing either mid foot or with your whole foot at once. You're not an obvious heavy heel striker anyway, which probably means your shoe won't show the usual signs of over-pronation in the heel area, as its not being subjected to the stresses of pronation and heel striking together.

I'd tentatively suggest that nothing you've said or filmed would make me think straight away that the running shop gave you totally the wrong shoes. Of course I am NOT a qualified shoe fitter! If you're not convinced, go back to the shop at a likely quiet time (ie. not Saturday afternoon!) and ask them to look at your video and explain better why they gave you the shoes they did. Also ask them if you can try them out on your treadmill for a few days and still return them if you're not happy with their fit. If its a decent shop staffed by runners they should be happy to talk you through your questions.
  • Thank you for all your advice and help.  I went for a gait anaylsis and as runs-with-dogs says I mildy overpronate, not underpronate.  I was looking at where I first land instead of the whole roll.

I ended up purchasing the Nike Zoom Structure + 16 and they feel great!