Is the rest of the World

Comments

• If we could solve this problem and then use it to solve the problems on the M25 et al, we could all be millionaires by this time next year!!! :-)))
  • If you want to know what its like for those runners who give it their all and still finish close to last then take a look at Hippo's race report from yesterdays Abingdon Marathon. Total respect. Yes?
  • Sorry, that's Peppermint Hippo, not Ye Hippo. There are so many Hippos and Snails!
  • Moe, yes it's you....you used some old expressions that noone has ever heard before....
    And as for me, I speak and WRITE in English very well........
    and yes I do like going in the shed when it's hot......!!!!!!!!!to get some SHADE !!!
    (always make me LOL when I think about it....).
  • Jose

I think the key word you used there was "running". The people you speak of sound like they were at least attempting to compete at their own level. As someone has said, without the support of the bods at the back, the ones at the front wouldn't have a race to win.

I think the debate is about where you draw the line. This thread started by talking about dogs in races. OK so you let in dogs. Then someone wants to lead a performing elephant in the FLM, or a group of people want to run in a costume that takes up half the road. Every year there's a wackier stunt or a wackier costume. No one is suggesting that these people aren't entitled to be in the race, just that the spirit of the marathon is about pure human endeavour, and there are many who want to test themslves, who prepare and train, only to find themselves stuck behind a fat bloke dressed as an aeroplane. No matter how much said bloke is raising you have to understand the frustration.

The answer is probably to have a second tier elite start including all the GFA categories (possibly extended a little) - no fancy dress, no buckets of coins, no performing animals, with perhaps a third tier for registered club runners (again no fancy dress or circus animals). All the eight foot carrots and non competative charity bods start behind them (segregated by time in the normal way), and if they can catch the guys in front good luck to 'em. That way everyone has something to aim at, the club runners want a GFA time and the GFA runners are after an elite time. Might help with the quality thing as well.

If the elite field is never more than a couple of hundred runners you only need a 5 or ten minute cushion before kicking the GFA grooup off, then a further 15 minutes to the club runners and 15 minutes for the last group.

What about those who aren't club members? Well join one if you want to be in the third group. Theres hundreds of 'em and you can join for the price of a good night in the pub. Plus by joining a club you're making a contribution to the grass roots of the sport.

I know the idea probably has lots of holes, and I'll probably be accused of snobbery or pomposity (and not being able to spell). There does seem to be a divide between those who want to embrace the race as a pure athletic challenge in terms of time and position (ie they want a race), and those who want to add a bit of theatre and do some good, whilst, of course, completing their own personal challenge.

• M. you're not competative are you? when did that happen?
  • FR - sounds like a good plan to me
  • i agree with fell Running

staggered starts would work, and we pay enough to enter the big races to cover the extra road closure time(i hope)
  • Staggered starts would work in only the very big races...but how many extra martials would be required to 'police' it?

and wouldn't all the races with these staggered starts need to be champion chiped? what about that extra cost?

and what about all the celebrities starting at the front? and the veterans who have run the race 10 times plus so get to go at the begining?

What about the guy in bermuda shorts and shades? fancy dress or not fancy dress?

This is all getting a bit silly....all you can do is ask people to respect others.

I get annoyed when setting of to work at 08.30 because my route goes past two schools...but no matter how much I rant and rave about 'walking to school' the truth of the matter is that if people want to go in their car they will and there is nowt I can do to stop them...solution set of for work at 8.00 or 9.15.....don't run in these races choose a smaller race if it is such a big problem.

I have run 6 GNR's and have enjoyed the last two most because I realise that times aint important in that race. (although if I get in the FLM next year and a big bloke in a banana suit is between me and crossing the line in under 4.00 hrs then I might just kick his but out of the way!)

lifes too short to worry!

Dance naked and wiggle your ass
  • Wow Hipps you are sharper than a sharp thing on a cold day!
  • >>>...BBB runs away quickly to avoid being severely beaten! safe in the knowledge that Hipps post Abingdon legs will prevent him from being caught<<<
  • BBB, loved your comment on the dogs thread! LOL
  • BBB that Hippo thing is so gross, words fail me. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when Peppermint Hippo gets her running legs back.
    Moe, can I ask you a serious question on race etiquette? Ta. If my best and only time for a half marathon is 2:05 but I have been training and next time hope to do it in under 2hrs, should I start the race from the sub 2hr start point or the sub 2:15 start point?
  • BBB
    im really glad i havent got sound
  • I have! There are times when I wish I hadn't and that was one of them.
  • have listened on hubbys computer
    oh dear
  • Don't say I didn't warn you. Listening to that can't have helped your poorly tummy.
  • i have just returned from the powder room

what a waste of dinner

(sorry moe)
  • You can always rely on Hippo to raise the tone of a thread. Thanks Hippo. Get well soon XX
  • LL, sorry for delay (went to bed early!), if you are just over a two hour half and want to start in the sub two hour area it's not going to cauce any problem at all as nobody will (initially at least) be able to tell the difference. The problem arises when a two and half runner gets in the hour and half for instance.

In the past one or two runners in the wrong area has not caused that much of a problem but now it seems there are more and more in there, even joining hands, wearing big outfits etc to cause an even bigger problem.

A few years ago in the FLM I caught up with a Rhino and ran beside him for a while, I have every admiration for them, they are a part of the race, but besides that he was capable of running at the pace and had every right to be there.
  • Moe, I don't want to be getting away with it because nobody can tell the difference. I want to start in the right place. I know what you're saying - you never know how its going to go on the day. You might trip over a dog or something and not run a good time....
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Naw. Mak won't do the FLM. Not enough grass and too many legs to chose from.

I say let them all run. Unles you organised it it isn't your race after all, its up to the organisers.

Moes List:
    No Dogs
    No Divers
    No silly costumes
    no prams
    no charity runners
    Nobody wanting to enjoy the scenery
    just good honest sweaty folk.
    blahed blah
  • Whoever said no charity runners?

I'm a charity runner.
  • Dunno about you Barnsley but I give up, it seems some people are determined to feel persecuted regardless!

Chris, if the 'organiser' wants to risk it, so be it. If you can't see the reasoning (not just my own view) for banning dogs, then I hope for your sake and the race organisers you never injure anyone.

BTW, hows the vote going?
  • I give up too.
    I think its all about consideration to others.
    Think I might just start a thread entitled "Why shouldn't I smoke in restaurants if I want to".
  • Oh no LL - don't get me started on that one
  • I think Moe must be the most misunderstood person on this forum. It doesn't matter what Moe says, people seem to read what they want into Moe's comments.

I adore dogs, and it's only because of my concern for them that I wouldn't want them in races.

Maybe in trail races where the field's spread out it's OK, but to my mind it's asking for trouble in road races, particularly with anything but a small number of entrants.

I'm planning to ride down the Alps on the back of a large inflatabel elephant - is it OK if my dog comes with me?

;-)