Country to Capital 2013

Comments

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Clive - thanks for the info. I never did manage to do a recce but was assuming the first couple of legs must be pretty muddy!

My training's been going OK - managed back-to-back 20M runs a couple of weeks ago, and that wasn't as hard as I had expected. Only running about 3 times a week as the main goal for next year is Ironman, but hopefully the long rides will also have helped for this. Anyway, I'm not too bothered how I do as long as I don't get injured.

• Which IM are you doing?....is this your first?

unless you are a very good cyclist already.....I would spend at least 50-60% of your training time on the bike as you sound like you have the ability to run a marathon......it's running it with fresh (ish) legs that counts

my first IM (UK) the bike leg took me over eight hours and my legs were destroyed for the run......in the build up to the race I had run more miles than I had cycled (as I was training for Comrades) and I lived to regret it.....that IM marathon was the hardest of my life......made a slightly better job at Challenge Henley this year and took over an hour off my bike time despite tearing my hamstring after 50 odd miles.....the run was interesting with the tear though....

• Did a recce on the first 25 a couple of months back and it was very muddy/slippy then so can imagine what it is like now after all the recent rain image

My training has been minimal since then due to a hamstring niggle so could be a bit of a tester with heavy feet. Last year was perfect and really starting to wish I hadn't got lost and wasted the conditions, although my time was rubbish so would hope to better it this time out even if difficult under foot.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Clive - yes, I've done 2 IMs before so have a reasonable feel for the training required. I'm doing IM France this year. I'm not a great cyclist but managed to scrape under 5 hours (by 2 seconds, nicely judged!) in the second one. A slightly easier course (Austria) than the ones you've done though! My plan was to focus on running endurance for October-December for this race, then hit the bike hard for February-May. I've been consistently doing a 3-4 hour ride every weekend during the winter though.

Forecast for the next week is looking dry so I'm hoping the route gets a bit less muddy before the race. Either that or it is very cold on the day and freezes!

• lets hope for no rain......was out on the course by CP2 again yesterday and it was hellishly wet and boggy.....great fun but could be interesting running the rest with wet feet

• Hello there image

Anyone traveling via A12 or M11 early Sat?

Thanks

Ian
  • Just a note that I ran the second half of this race just before Christmas and the Paddington spur of the towpath was also very muddy in places. Could be a bit annoying for anyone planning on changing shoes...

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Muddy... awesome image

• Still cant decide whether to go for road or trail.  I ran Round Rotherham in road this year and it was very muddy in places which resulted in me falling comedy banana slip style in the mud.  Dont fancy that as it doesnt look like there are showers at the finish.

• I'd go for trail Catherine.  I ran the 4 miles or so from Chesham to Latimer yesterday and bits of it were very muddy indeed - I wouldn't want to do it in road shoes.

And I think the muddiest bits are actually later on closer to CP2......

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

No idea on the course but will be running in trail shoes.

• Anyone still planning on changing shoes I would recommend CP4. Anyone still planning on doing the whole thing in road shoes let me know and I'll bring a camera image

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Think I'm going to go for trail shoes for the whole thing. Looks like it might rain on the day now as well, plus a stiff headwind the whole way...

• Cold, wed, muddy and windy.... what's not to like image

• Throw in a bit of snow, sleet, fog and a thunderstorm, Wacky, and we'll have the perfect conditions! Hangon.... wasnt that the Ridgeway2012 conditions :P

• Gutted I'm out!

Had to drop today. Had a vertigo attack this week and have been unable to shift it.

Good luck all. I will thinking of youimage

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Bad news dill. You'll be back at it soon! Good luck in the UTMB draw next week.
  • Thanks mate. Really am disappointed. I know it's not important but i do love race day.

Hope you have a good race and don't do anything stupid pre Rocky Racoon.

• Good luck to everyone running (plodding) tomorrow. Only thing to do now is get a good sleep and then get moving .... and keep moving ... eek!

Am both nervous and excited - this'll be 10 miles further than I've ever gone in one go before! (assuming I complete it!)

• helly dhelly d ✭✭✭

See you all tomorrow. Don't get lost image. I'll be on the 7:12 C2C express in the morning.

3rd time for me. Anyone who hasn't done it before please note that the finish is just a marquee by the canal so no showers or changing facilities though there is usually tea and coffee. I will probably have to resort to he conveniently close pub to warm up.

• mmmmm tea, looking forward to it already image

• posted this on Tritalk as well so apologies in advance for anyone reading both.....

lovely day for it today 

I passed about 40 or so of you (running in the opposite direction a little after CP2) as I was finishing my training run today 

strangely recognised a couple of the runners (guy from Apex sports in Farnham Common and a bloke who I saw on the Economist website yesterday talking about the Spartahlon) 

the offroad sections round here were a lot better than the last few weeks so hopefully nobody had any disasters 

looking forward to a race review as this is on the to do list for next year

• No medals left, run out of tshirts. Lack of food in cp 1&2. Absolutely no helpful signs at awkward parts to help us. What todo list is it you where thinking of image
  • Take it you didn't have fun today slane.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the event. Apart from starting slightly late (waiting for a train with runners on to arrive I think? Fair enough).

When I arrived, checkpoints were stocked with sweets, cake, gels and water.

No course markings but I don't think they advertised a marked route so didn't expect any. We were provided with map at registration.

The 2nd half on the canal is pretty dull but the first half has some fun running.

The guys do well with the space provided along the canal and were all very helpful. It was harder to turn down food at checkpoints than to take it!

Good fun to start the year.
  • Clive, there are plenty of masochistic races you can do without feeling youve being mugged! Be interesting to see how different the Winter Tanners is next week as its a seventh of the price. Seven times worseimage I can't believe that.

I didn't mind the running Dill as the weather held up for the day. But I'm struggling to think of a race I've been in that offered really poor value for money. That map was really poor resolution, had to look at my gps units. I thought the guy offering a cup of tea at one of latter checkpoints even tho there was no tea as a joke was not the funniest things I've heard.

Still, onto the next one image
  • It is unfortunate that some people have had negative experiences, because Go Beyond had built up a strong reputation as event organisers. 

I have always had a hankering to do this event, but the cards never quite fell in the right way.

• Nothing bad to report from me really. Had a pretty good run and all stations stocked well when I arrived. Not sure what time you ran slanuk as must admit I had a similar experience last year when I ran slower.... not much left at CP1&2 and no shirts left in my size at the finish but all good this year.... loads of GU gels on hand all the way!

Running out of medals is pretty bad it has to be said. I did struggle a little with the map on my first outing last year but didn't take it out my bag today.

• Had a great first ultra. Really enjoyed it, didn't get the time I wanted but realise this was perhaps a bit unrealistic. One thing I must say is how friendly and willing to help all of the fellow competitors are, turns out ultra runners are an awesome group of people. 

Cheers guys and I cannot wait for the next one - SDW 50 me thinks.