Options

Gloucester Marathon 20 Jan 2013

Comments

• Options

Hedghogs!  Third time lucky I might get my first marathon in.

• Options

i can just about post a link - i have no idea how to paste that advert

• Options

deferred that was supposed to be, my fingers are frozen - brrrrrrr

• Options

i can normally se a good few miles across from my garden

i can barely see the street down the road

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

I would suspect that the event would be re-scheduled. A 10k they were doing was cancelled due to flooding (end Nov/Dec 2012)....rescheduled to early this year.

• Options
    I hope the refund/rerun ain't as much hassle as it was for the people that entered Berkely marathon and was cancelled by same organisers back in November due to lack of entries. Lets hope it's sorted fast!
  • Options
  • Options

Gutted but well done to the organisers for making the decision early!  I was due to travel up tomorrow morning so would have been even more disappointed to get there only to find it cancelled and then have to come all the way back.

Hopefully it will be re-run rather than a complete cancellation as it's a really good (though tough) marathon.

• Options

Hi

I've just recce'd the roads and if we are lucky I may be able to upload some photos. One car was in a ditch (ironically a 4x4, although a small cheap one), and the farmers were operating small snow ploughs through the lanes. Temperature was 0 to -1 and there is salt down, as the rural bus uses the road.
    If the event was run this afternoon, it would be a cross country jog, but a race between 20 or so people would not be a good idea. The bridge by the Pilot Inn is dodgy on foot. Snow depth is 2 inches. On the road it's slushy, with pools of water. This will freeze. Corners are very dodgy.

/members/images/26252/Gallery/IMG00093-20130118-1514-2.jpg

• Options
    Yeah I'd like a re-run! Hopefully they can come up with some info ASAP! Gutted for everyone especially those who's 1st marathon was planned! My son and mate was 2 of them.
  • Options
    Good pics Blisters! The 2 inches we had in Devon today has been washed away by rain. Amazing how a 100 miles can be so different.
  • Options

A mate of mine who was running has contacted the race organiser (Anne) and he tells me that they're not doing a re-run.  The next Glos marathon will be next year.

He didn't ask about refunds, but I've e-mailed asking about them - I've paid for two entries, which is a fair chunk to pay to not run.  I can't see any terms and conditions though regarding the status of refunds and cancelled races.

I think I'll book the Cotswold Marathon in April (ran by the same organisers) instead.

• Options
    As it was out of there control, I have heard there will not be a refund. Twice bitten by them now so very unlikely to enter one of there events again
  • Options

I've just read the T&Cs on the application form and it does say there's no refunds in the unlikely circumstances the race is cancelled, so that's fair enough, but I think a 'free entry' into next years marathon would be a fair one.

• Options
    I think that they would already have had to pay out for t shirts and medals so they can't give a full refund but things like water they will just use for the next one. So although there will be some sunk costs something like half price next year or to another event would be fair
  • Options

Is it an absolutely stupid and irresponsible question to ask if any renegades are going to run it anyway, bearing in mind that no more snow is forecast and the race was not planned for another 36 hours away yet by which Gloucester Council intends to have gritted minor roads etc.?  I guess after three months of training runs it seems difficult to just let go of it!

• Options

Crucial Carp

Of course it's not a stupid question.

Check out my photos, and consider that GCC have already salted the minor roads (and there's a lot of them). From what I've seen, they have declared a "full snow" condition, and farmers were involved. This is unusual. If the sh 1 t really hits the fan the farmers are too busy feeding their sheep to bother with the roads.

I have this feeling that some renegades might just turn up at (see below) area at 10:30 and decide to go for a run around the Elmore/Longney loop a few times. Personally, I couldn't be arsed whether it was 12, 16, or 20 miles. It's a loop of almost 7 miles. This gives many options to people who have a flask of soup in their car. I wouldn't bother with the additions that are tagged round the houses to make up distance, what's the point? Have fun. I might just be there, and there are bail out options.

Better still.

Meet at the Pilot Inn. 1030. Easy cop outs.

• Options
    From website

Sorry, but the Gloucester 50k and Marathon on Sunday 20 January has now been CANCELLED due to the current, unforeseen extreme weather conditions.

However please note that we are endeavouring to re-schedule the race later in the year or if this is not possible a discount will be offered to runners who enter next years race.
  • Options

Thanks Ringo,

That's good news; I hope they re-schedule.  Things are tight my end and I forked out for two places, so then to have to fork out for another two places in another marathon is a bit of a kick in the nuts, especially after all the training too.

• Options
    If they don't re-arrange it then a full refund should be paid back! Medals and tshirts are usually bought by sponsors etc. at least they got 11 months to choose from image hope they come up with a date soon before we book other stuff and it clashes, plus sorting time off work etc.
  • Options

Forecast is for -3 tomorrow morning.

I shall park up at the Pilot Inn, by the canal bridge, probably at about 9:00, and I shall go for a run around the loop, probably twice. I'll be in Pirate yellow/black and head clockwise. I'm not stressing about meeting up times or anything, but if a few want to go for a jog round the loop, please say hi to any runners that you do see.

• Options

Hope you had a good one Blistersimage

• Options

Two of us had a chatterful couple of laps, which was really good. As far as I know he's still out there, what with his focus on Ultra training.

Some icy patches, it would have ben the footpaths that would have been the worst.

• Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

well i went for about 28/29 miles from my place in Chelt, over towards the Guitings, and Winchcombe instead of the race. Was out for longer than expected, but did take a few piccies of nice scenes, and had to stop to buy snacks. Roads werent too bad in rural areas, in the outskirts of Chelt they were worse.