Upgrading from Brooks Adrenaline GTS 5

About 7 years ago I succesfully trained for and completed a marathon in a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 5 (yellow and white if that helps identify them!). For various reasons I've not done a huge amount of running in the last 5 years and I'm now keen to gently get back into it.

Having thoroughly abused my running shoes playing squash in them, which is a specatularly bad idea by the way, they are definitely due for replacement!

I see that they are now up to Adrenaline GTS 12 - is this a direct replacement for a GTS 5, or will they have changed so they are no longer appropriate? I will be doing a mix of 50:50 pavement/woodland trails, but only very small mileage (2-3 mile runs) as a long-standing back problem means I'm unlikely to be able to increase this by much.

I would go to a shop and try some on, but I'll admit upfront that I'm looking to save some money by buying online and I don't want to unfairly use a shop's time when I don't intend to buy from them. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• The GTS 12 will have changed from the GTS 5 but it will still be the closest match compared to anything else out there.

The 12 has approx. the same level of support as the 5 - what has mostly changed is the upper and cushioning materials.

• Thanks Waylon - I thought as much, but just needed a sanity check image

• I'd say that they'll be fairly close.

I'm sure that somebody will come along and tell you they've had every variant of the Adrenalines, but until they do, I'll step in and say that I've had GTS 9's, 10's and 12's and never had any problem with them and never noticed a huge amount of difference between them. I expect one day I'll be up to GTS 20's or something.

• Well I've ordered some, but have made a slight error, in that I've accidentally ordered them in the 2E width, whereas my previous shoes were in the D width.

From the research I've done it looks like the actual width of the shoe won't vary much, but the volume of the upper mesh will be larger. I guess until I try them on I won't know much more. I'd forgotten that proper shoes come in widths if I'm honest..image