Wyvern Xmas Cracker 10K

looking to book my return train ticket and am intrigued by this post-party-live-entertainment-tempt-me-to-stay-in-weston-longer-thingie. how good is it and how long does it go for?
JPVD.

Comments

• I was going to ask the same question. Could do with a nice bag o chips at the end of the run (in good ole seaside fashion). By the way, what's the course like - I've not done much running on sand.
  • Hi the sand is compact but could be wet in places (tides) even though you hardly ever see the sea at WSM.The after race entertainment is live and the college restaurant serves all day breakfasts. The course is 10K but not that bad under foot.
  • have a look at the other thread for this race that is already knocking about - it may help!

(have been twice and can't say that the live entertainment has ever been such that I'd take a later train so as not to miss it!!)
  • thanks for the entertainment tip...
    whats the other forum? and why can't you see the sea from WSM?
    JPVD.
  • I think I am going to get practising on a nearby beach - I know a couple of long ones around here. The last time I scampered on sand I had a bucket, spade and sand in me....er....sandwiches. Good question JPVD. What is the other forum?
  • the beach...oh man i totally didn't think of that. i even looked at the photos and all. it looked quite packed....how much is actually ON the beach? i have found a nice Santy-Clause hat for it as well, but it looks like some go all out...
    JPVD.
  • I'm hoping most of it is on the prom or something. Isn't Weston beach really long, though? I break into sweat just thinking about it. And as for dressing up like Rudolph - I think not. It'll be hard enough getting me around the course without lugging and extra pair of legs and a red nose. I'll probably be wearing a hat too, and a couple of strands of Poundstretcher tinsel. Classy!

By the way, how much prep are you doing for this race? What time are you hoping to make?
  • The race starts on the beach and there is a circuit of about 3-400 metres before going up on to the Prom - later (at about 3km) you drop back on to the beach for a longer stretch of beach - possibly 2km, but as Puffin' says, this is compact mud, sorry sand (it's not known as Weston Super Mud for nothing!). Once off the beach, it's roads all the way round to about 9.75 km when you drop once again on to the beach for the sprint finish!

Our Club runs as a Club that day, with the slowest runner and all decked out in nice flourescent green tutus and tinsel wigs!! (the standing in the sea dressed as a Viking is optional - my forum picture was taken after the Cracker 2 years ago, when I declared war on Wales!!(ran almost as far to find water that deep than in the race!))
  • Thanks Mixy. When I first read your message I thought you'd written that it started with a 3-4000 circuit on the sand. I almost wet myself (looking a bit like your piccie, actually). After a second read, it all sounds like good fun. Just hope the weather is dry on the day. And seeing as you have done this one a few times already, have you got any hot tips we should know about?
  • pretend not to spot our group from Yeovil, otherwise you might be given a tutu to wear!! (actually you'll be safe to come and talk to us once the race starts as I don't carry any spares!)

we really just have to hope the weather's OK - the race organisation is always good, the course is nice and flat (and there's stuff for non-running family spectators to do whilst you are running) - but a strong wind along the Prom might spoil the run a bit! (I missed last year with the flu - luckily, as it turned out, because there was a raging gale!)

the course is good for PB or for fun - our group has been round twice, in about 1hour15 each time and is likely to be about the same this year. The faster runners from our Club go backwards and forwards through the group and end up running about 15km!!
  • Ooooh. I'm glad you said you do the course in about 1.15. That's about my level (well in gale force winds it is). I'm going to do a bit of running on a local beach this weekend and seeing as Wales isn't renown for its spectacular weather either it should be handy practice.

As for the faster runners in your club, they sound far too frisky for their own good.
  • didn't realise that you were from the other side of the water when I revealed I was declaring war on Wales for the Vikings! Oops! (I didn't mean it - some of my best friends are Welsh - obviously they don't talk to me now....!)
  • Ah-ha, I thought that was the sound of a gauntlet being thrown down! Too late, now Mixy. I challenge you to a duel on the frosty morn of December 7 - tutus at dawn!
  • is that you in the water there sir mix-a-lot? r u insane? i'm looking for a PB as this will be my first 10k after a 1/2 and a 10 miler, and it sounds flat enough.
    i'm coming in from london with some friends, let me in on the name of a good hotel, willya?
    JPVD.
  • Brave man wanting to STAY in Weston!

'Fraid I don't know any hotels there - I will be a day tripper, driving in, running about and then driving away as fast as possible!

(it is me in the sea - the previous year the tide was out and we couldn't bothered to run down to the sea - so jumped in the sea-filled swimming pool thing on the beach instead!!)
  • JPVD, try calling the organiser about accomodation.

Barry Twite, Tel 01934 416541

Hey Mixy! I stayed there once, in the winter in one of those hotels that seem to have got stuck in a time warp, not quite up to Basil's standards but getting there!
  • why on earth did you stay there when you live 45 minutes away? Actually, I don't want to know.....!

there's a tutu with your name on it if you want to wimp out of the Monty like me..
  • I had no idea Weston was such a hell hole. My 83 year old next door neighbour raves about the place!
  • weston isnt a pretty place in the winter. not that it is in the summer either!!!
    is the war at dawn going to be for spectators too! sounds like fun?
    Also wanted to ask if this is a good race for first timers? havent run a race since cross country at school about 10 years ago, and so am just trying to get back into running (and fitness in general).
  • Pettsay, I'm hoping it is a good run for pups - I've only done one other 10k.
  • you'll both be fine (though if I catch either of you using me as a windbreak in the event of a gale, there'll be trouble!)
  • i am looking forward to WSM...i chose the race cuz it looks like fun, what with running on the beach and and all that! don't discourage me! if you asked me about brighton, well what could i say? the sea-front, the...uh...pier. broken and crumbling true. how about the beach. pebbles, rocks and syringes i know i know. and the...uh...wanton hooliganism and drunken violence. ok. what about the sleazy reputation? oh forget it...don't go to brighton. Bring on WSM!
    JPVD.
  • Wanton hooliganism? Drunken violence? Sleaze? Sounds like a good night out to me.

I'm looking forward to WSM too, though. Even if it's a crap day for running it'll still be a laugh.
  • I now have a sartorial connundrum for the "Big Day" - some club mates saw a furry Viking hat and bought it for me; I am now spoilt for choice and will have to make a decision on the morning of the run itself!
  • I might be a bit late to join this thread - but I only just found it.

I have run this race twice - last year, and the year before.

In 2001 it was about minus 10 so my shorts clad legs were freezing & the whole thing was quite hard work - but I thought it was great (first 10k) and there were loads of people dressed up and it was flat.

Last year it was blowing a gale, which made it all good fun - especially in the last kilometre where you had to run straight towards the sea, across the soggy sand, straight into a head wind so strong you were virtually standing still!! My legs were not amused at that point.

Still great though - nice t-shirt and a mince pie at the end, and a good atmosphere! Do it.
  • i just "swam" the marlow 1/2 marathon and the adverse conditions caught me off-gaurd. not so much in the run, but the standing around before and after. In regards to talk of gales and -10...whats the advice of previous "victims" as to what to pack/wear?
    JPVD.
  • snorkel, flippers and a bin bag.
  • in 2001 I wore rugby shorts, an all blacks shirt, a gum shield and tape around my head - I was a female rugby player - that was my fancy dress!!! not terribly festive mind.

Last year I was more sensible and wore long trousers and a t-shirt, a bit of tinsel and a santa hat.
  • I've just had the idea of tying a bit of tinsel to my head. I shall have to get my brain into gear. I think a frogman outfit will do the trick from what some of you have said.
  • Scamp, I'd wait until the morning of the race before doing that - you may get some strange looks as you walk round South Wales with it tied on in November!

(don't get too upset on Sunday - would go for a run at about 11-30 after the final whistle - or you may prefer to go at 10!)