No booze January.

Anyone care to join me in giving up booze for January? image

Comments

• Ok Rickster you're on. I have 3 exams in January and can't afford to lose any brain cells to alcohol.
  • Have decidde this one already as I'm doing the Thames Trot on 2nd Feb.   Considering I can get through an awful lot of wine it's going to be tough going. image  Could do with the support.

• i will, but i dont drink anyway, so im not sure it counts.

• Saw this if anyone interested http://www.dryjanuary.org.uk/

I had a dry January this year and some people can't get their heads round it, maybe if it is as a sponsosored thing it would be easier for people to understand.
    Having said that I'll be doing it again for myself as I don't give a toss if others don't understand! Chiefly due to race commitments for Feb/March so will probably be off it until after race in March.

• Join us on our annual outing on the wagin for January: Always happy to see some new faces, get more support image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/clubhouse/on-the-wagon-for-january/95515-1700.html

• It's such an easy challenge. You just don't drink booze for 31 days. What's so hard about that?

• The fact that you cant have any booze.

• i don't understand the purpose of this challenge.

although i don't understand the purpose of ultras either and i do them.

• Give up the booze and get some snooze.

I want to try it Ricckster, more from a performance point of view to see if does help. Of course getting more sleep and not posting on her at 1 in the mornnig has got to be part of the deal too?

• A great way to start the New Year so will book a few races to keep the incentive going. A few glasses of the red stuff (the more expensive the better!) is definitely one of my weaknesses. Count me in.

• only a calvinist nation like ours would view such a pleasure as 'weakness'.

• what! give up a whole food group? I'm sure wine is practically fruit juice anyway image

• Hmm, tried it for 2 weeks once when I got back from an especially booze fuelled adventure in India and thought some time away from my wobbly leg inducing friend might be in order. I got to the Sunday 1 week and 5 days in and crumbled into a glass of wine.  Cheap South African Sav Blanc has never tasted so epic.

I'd probably find it easier now as I drink far less than back then so maybe i'll give it a try.  I think it's more justifiable if you have a race at the end of the month mind.  My race in Jan is right at the start so i'd probably get 2 weeks in again and wonder why the hell i'm bothering putting myself through this wholly unecessary torture.

They again, i'll be asking myself the same question 3 miles into the race.

• January is already miserable as it is...

• If anyone can't go 31 days without alcohol, then it shows that they have a problem. Now if you wish to deny that...image

• if i felt a desire to give up booze, then i'd give it up for good. not 31 days.

• I've cut down dramatically over the last few months but I have no desire to give it up totally even if it's only for 31 days. I dont think I could even if I wanted to. So, even though I dont exceed the recommended weekly allowance Rickster does that mean I still have a problem ?

• carterusm wrote (see)

I've cut down dramatically over the last few months but I have no desire to give it up totally even if it's only for 31 days. I dont think I could even if I wanted to. So, even though I dont exceed the recommended weekly allowance Rickster does that mean I still have a problem ?

Well if you can stop for 31 days it shows you can do without. image

• What if I dont want to ? What if I am happy to continue to have my couple of beers on a Saturday and Sunday night, have I a problem ?

• Rickster wrote (see)
    carterusm wrote (see)

I've cut down dramatically over the last few months but I have no desire to give it up totally even if it's only for 31 days. I dont think I could even if I wanted to. So, even though I dont exceed the recommended weekly allowance Rickster does that mean I still have a problem ?

Well if you can stop for 31 days it shows you can do without. image

Who set that arbitary figure?  I gave up for nearly two weeks once.  Surely that shows I can do without?  Why do I need another 2 weeks on top to prove it?

In fact, i know I can give up.  I know that if tomorrow I was told that if I touch another drop i'll die, i'll never touch a drop again.  The point is, I like a beer or two at weekends and when i did try and give it up for a fortnight I just got really bored of drinking tea all weekend long.

It wasn't so much a case that I couldn't carry on for another two days, I just really could not be arsed to.

• My dry spell will be mid December to hopefully 24th March image. Working over Christmas and New Year image and then serious training culminating in TP100. Basically I know if I carry on drinking then I have to train more to compensate so essentially I am being lazy. But achieving my goal is more important to me than a few weeks of having a drink as much as I enjoy it.
    Whether anyone stops or not is entirely personal and we all have different reasons.

• I'm thinking of doing mid-jan until April. Not because I feel the need to do it, just because it'd save me a bit of money and help with training in that time. I did it last summer, was a bit more awkward because it was summer but heh, I felt good for it.

• I'm up for it!! I bounce if I'm drinking or not! T I double ger!!

• I give up alcohol every now and again. A month isn't a big deal temptation wise, it's just difficult to remember that I'm not supposed to be drinking. I'll do a few weeks, then go out with friends and have a drink.

An east resolution is just not to drink at home which tends to work for months at a time.
  • I might join in with the no booze Jan. It's usually a quiet month for me anyway, no big birthdays or parties for friends/family, so no compulsion to go out drinking. I could probably extend into Feb without feeling too much of a social pariah.

• the trouble is that soft drinks are just so awful.

• I agree that soft drinks are awful. If I'm cutting back or on no booze I try and stick with beetroot juice/spring water and a slice or two of lime. Works wonders especially when served in a wine glass. I do miss my glass of the red stuff so.  Am now into the second week of no booze just to prove to myself that I can do it. However looking forward to Friday night with mates from work when I am definitely going to enjoy a couple of pints of the black stuff! image

• Not that its booze...... but I am cutting down on tea and coffee, I have had only one cup of tea this morning first thing, no coffee, instead fresh ginger and a lemon slice in hot water it is totally lush, just keep topping it up with boiling water!

• Good call GW. That combo should keep your immune system on a high.