Cotswold Way Ultra 102 mile event September 2013

Comments

• 95% certain  im in.   Got a 100k in 3 weeks and then I will enter.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

spen71 - one thing the night will bring will be darkness.  You'll need a headtorch +spare.  Perhaps an extra layer for the night, depending on the weather.  Seeing a chain of headtorches behind and in front makes a pleasing sight and it's fairly normal to fall in with a group during the night with whom you have a real laugh.

Mind you with only 20 entrants that might not be your experience.  You might be blundering through undergrowth and woodlands not having a clue where you are.

• Ive got one headtorch.   Need to buy another,   Fun fun fun.

• Tempted by this, 4 utmb points too!

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

My spare is the Petzl e-lite which weighs next to nothing.

•  I'm not ready to run the whole thing in one go but as i'm doing it over three days in august i would definitely be interested in this. hmm....next year?.......

Daz has done a great report on his record. Go on Daz post the link......

• Great to see so much interest!  We're up over 40 runners at this point, with more coming along every day.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Hi Beriba, here it is : http://dazcarter.com/2012/08/04/cotswold-way-record/

Its a beautiful trail, tougher than you think - relentless ups and downs

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Whilst looking for suggestions on food for ultras I came across this post, I'm entered in this race too, this will be my first 100 and I can't wait! 

• Thanks Daz.  As you say tougher than you think - it's a serious ammount of accumulated acent and descent.  I'm just glad i'm doing it over 3 days!  I'm following your lead and going with roclite 295s and road shoes although given the recent hot weather i suspect it will be road shoes all the way. will see how i get on then think about the whole thing next year.

• DazDaz ✭✭✭

Id def go something cushioned (with grip).  Supposed to stay dry for some time.  Even with a few showers it would get soaked up.  Hope you have a great time!image

Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • I read somewhere a runner can accompany you from the end of the trail to bath abbey, does anyone know how far this is? Keen to enter as my first 100 but can't bring myself to hit that button!

• Well I entered this a few weeks ago, and the time seems to be ticking along quickly. Preps going ok but some long hours at work coming up. How's everyone else doing?

• Good luck to everyone doing this one. Hope it goes well as I have an eye on this for next year, being as it goes virtually past my front door (although that may make my bed too temptingly close!). The section between Stroud and Wotton has already seen many a long run and it would be nice and easy for me to recce most of the route.

Will try to get out for a run along part of the route on 21st to give some encouragement. Enjoy yourselves, it's a beautiful course.

• I am looking forward to this though like Andy also have a mad work schedule prior (flying in from Asia on the Wednesday before). First 100 miler. Did recce "runs" between Chipping Campden to Cheltenham and then Cheltenham to Dursley in early August and the first section is fine (excluding the climb out of the quarry overlooking Cheltenham and the Dursley mound) and great views most of the way. Does anyone know what Dursley to Bath is like pls?

• Zenbaby, I can only help with the Dursley to Wotton stretch, which is only a small section I'm afraid.

Quite a big climb out of Dursley up to the golf course on Stinchcombe hill, back down the other side then it's relatively flat through Nibley before a gentlish climb up to the Tynedale monument. Nice flat section up high through the woods and then a steep downhill into Wotton. Great views just before the descent to Wotton.

Hpe that's of some help.

• Nibley to Bath (about 33 miles) is probably the easiest third in terms of less hills - I did 'the way' in August over 3 1/2 days and that last section was definitely the easiest -though quite a few crop fields etc. (one or two nicely covered in manure), and steep camber along the paths - lots of gates too in this section... after you cross the motorway (M4) there's pratically just one steep hill (up) left.

• Well, as its been pissing it down with rain for the last couple of days I'm assuming its going to be a little treacherous out there. Will be an interesting race with my feet still being smashed from my last 2 races. Lets hope that the last 33 is as easy as Plod-on says image

• Plenty of rain is good for me, I'd been in two minds whether to turn up dafter struggling with a knee injury for the last 4 weeks. The softer the grounds the better! Good to hear there's a 70's party and bacon rolls at one of the later checkpoints!

• First ever DNF for me image. Was a great event with great people. I'm just going to have to come back next year fitter, faster and stronger.

• Managed to complete this, 2nd lady too in my first 100!! Really tough, tougher than I thought it would be, the overnight fog didn't help. Well organised with absolutely brilliant marshals also met some lovely runners, can't beat the ultra community image

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

And was it well organised?

• Well done HMS. Just checked out the results and race report and it looks like it was a proper tough race. Less than 50% completed - some pretty bad fog through the night and the toughness of the terrain, means that 30 hr cutoff is tight. I wonder if they'll stretch that a bit next year, or is that a requirement for the 4 UTMB points? I'm still seriously considering this for next year or the year after, if they do it. I will attempt 100 miles at least once in my life, and this is the race I hope to do it in. I'm sure this race will become a classic UK ultra in the years to come.

• Come on all you lot who ran this. We need more info!

• I agree with Matt.  Would love to hear some feedback on this, so please, if you ran this, let us have any blogs/opinions.

• As no one else is going to comment, I will again image Personally I didn't find the cut offs too tight, but I did think that one of the checkpoints was too far away from the previous one though. There were a few people that said they hadn't realised just how tough the hills were going to be. Fog was awful, couldn't see more than 3ft in front, light was just thrown back at you. Organisation was fine as far as I could tell, drop bags delivered to the right places, car headlights on to guide runners in to foggy checkpoints, food available at each one, I didn't stop long at but always got a cup of tea! Nice soup, rolls and a cup of tea at the Hilton too image

• Just saw you in an old copy of the local rag HMS!

• It was a great race, absolute beast of a course. Went into it way too tired after my daughter was in hospital for a couple of days beforehand. (Nearly cancelled because of this) Cut offs were fine but the CPs were just a little too far apart in places for me on race day. Would normally be fine, but as I was fooked I was drinking a hell of a lot more than I normally do. Think I went through about 16lts or so by the end. The fog was an issue during the night but as long as I kept my eye on the map I knew where I was. Which brings me onto another point. I was fairly disappointed in the amount of runners not using the map & just following people. No wonder I found out loads of folk got lost. Learn to read maps & utilise them folks, it makes a race a lot more enjoyable.

I came in dead last, just 8mins to spare before the 30hrs. That was a "first" for me, never been last in a race before. (Came 2nd in my last 100miler) I'm putting it down to absolute tiredness & smashed feet.

Personally feel that due to the terrain, it's not a 30hr race, more like a 33hr event.