Options

First 100 mile race in 2013

13»

Comments

• Options

Uggghh. Seem to be having a complete lapse of confidence this week and starting to wonder whether I'm going to bite off more than I can chew!  Training's  gone somewhat doollalah with Xmas coming up and I need a serious kick up the bum!

WackyRacer - sorry your Garmin didn't seem to work with the charger, that's very odd. I've got a 305 and it really worked brilliantly. 

• Options

Okapi - Must be a Garmin improvement!!!

Get yourself out for a good long confidence booster, I can see you already have a 70 under your belt so am sure you are very capable of going the full 100. As for staying motivated over the Xmas period... the Country to Capital is good for that. Knowing I have a decent run coming up just a couple of weeks after all the parties helps me dodge the odd bit of pudding or glass of wine. Still enjoy it but without being the glutton that I otherwise would be image

• Options

Thanks Wacky, that's' very kind! You're right, I've got get myself out for a long run at the weekend and also need to put an earlier goal in my diary. Hopefully, come Sunday eve, I'll be back to my non-jittery self after having gotten rid of my very guilty conscience! 

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Lots of people doing a 100 in 2013.  I'm doing to do the SDW100.  Can't quite believe it.  I have hardly told anyone as it sounds way too ridiculous when I do.

• Options

TCP know what you mean, used to think saying I was running a marathon was bad but now even other runners shake their heads. Usual is not in one day? really? cue stunned silence. Thing is I'm just as scared but the hell with it, I'm not fast but I know I can keep going image

• Options
    TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Exactly JeremyG.  Most don't even know people do this kind of madness.  "All in one go?" is the usual response.  I'm not quick either (I was stunned and delighted to get under 1:40 for a half marathon for the first time this year) but it seems a have a bit of mental strength to keep going.

• Options

Ran 10 miles in the North Downs today covering Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill & Pitch Hill - the thought of doing it ten times in a row seems insane.  I suppose the object of training is to get the level of perceived insanity down a little by August...

• Options
    Ahemm..... i havent told my better half about my 100 yet and its her birthday weekend. Need to pick the right moment. And find a very nice hotel for a few days....

There is a 45 mile trail run in Essex Feb 24th if anyone thinks that fits their training plan - St Peters Way. Bound to be fairly flat. Entry link via RW event search but limit of 50 places so don't wait too long. Local for me so feels compulsory.
  • Options

image I'm doing the SDW 100 too..first 100 for me and like TCP, I find if I don't tell anyone it isn't really happening!

I have 'worked' the check points for SDW 100 and NDW 100 so know how inclusive they are and what a great experience..but hell I am scared! image The worst bit for me is going to be the night.

• Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Slow suck, my advice is not to think of the bigger picture! Break it down into small chunks and just concentrate on getti.g through those small races. Looking at the whole thing, ie 5 down 95 to go is just too daunting to me! However, breaking it into 10 mile races or races to the next checkpoint allows the numbers to seemingly pass more quickly. It's a bloody long way whatever way you look at it, but that's hist something that works for me!
  • Options

I've also entered the SDW 100 without telling anyone (including the wife) image

Previous best is Brecon Beacons 40, so a bit of a step up, gulp.

• Options

I bit the bullet and told the other half about the TP, seeing as I didn't get in to WS100. All went very well, as she wants to pace me as part of her London training. She later looked at the website and said it was a shame but it was full - entries closed. Ahemmm. I acted surprised and told her not to worry. Lets hope that works, or I will have to explain how I'm one of the first few on the list, and it can't be because my name is Albert Aardvark....

• Options

Just entered Enduroman! The 100 mile option. June 1. My first 100. Done three 70 milers...image

• Options
    Mr. X wrote (see)

Im tempted. Im not making it my specific goal, because the Wall Ultra in June is my main goal, but I might add the Cotswold 100 in September depending on the state of my knee.

Signed up for the Cotswold 100. Its just too lovely a round number not to aim for!

• Options

Well, definitely the NDW100 for me as I didn't get picked in the UTMB ballot...

• Options

Ok, so Country to Capital done. I've entered the UTPD 60 which is 13th July and now thinking that I can maybe use that as a training run for NDW100 a month later.

To date I've never been further than 50 and most of my running has been on the flat so need some serious hill training for the UTPD and even more so for NDW100 otherwise I'm thinking I will be in serious strife!

My battle plan is to use 3 or 4 recce runs across the NDW, hopefully covering the whole course as training for the UTPD and then the UTPD as final training run for NDW100. When I hear that inside my own head.... it doesn't sound like madness image

• Options

Right then... it's on image First 100 miler. Entry is in for NDW100, now I just need to find a hill to train on lol. 

Will be looking at a full course recce over the next few months split into maybe 3 or 4  sections with at least one as a night run, so if anyone is interested in getting together for a training run.... give me a shout.

• Options

I've got the White Cliffs 50 mile in a few weeks followed by The Wall (69 miles) in June and then I'm thinking of The Thames Gateway 100 in August ... that would be my first 100 miler and also my first three ultras.

Is it insanity to try and earn the qualifying points for the UTMB in my first year of ultra running?

I've also added the Snowdonia Marathon at the end of it all just for a rest, my girlfriend does actually think I might be having a mid-life crisis at 35 ...

• Options
    paulkrunner wrote (see)

I've got the White Cliffs 50 mile in a few weeks followed by The Wall (69 miles) in June and then I'm thinking of The Thames Gateway 100 in August ... that would be my first 100 miler and also my first three ultras.

Is it insanity to try and earn the qualifying points for the UTMB in my first year of ultra running?

I've also added the Snowdonia Marathon at the end of it all just for a rest, my girlfriend does actually think I might be having a mid-life crisis at 35 ...

If it is then Im insane too because Im planning the exact same thing! Albeit the Cov 40, Wall 69, Cotswold 100. 

• Options

Mr. X ... isn't insanity good fun?

• Options

Hopefully...as long as I dont get injured anyway!

• Options

Insanity is relative....

C2C - 1pt in the bag

UTPD60 - 2pts

NDW100 - 4pts

• Options

Entered NDW100 - first one! image

• Options

I also entered NDW100 in the end image Cotswold seemed too far away

• Options

Wacky..I'm no expert so can only go by what I have read but think carefully about a 60 mile training run..it's quite close to NDW100 for a good recovery. I've played around with a few training plans and the most they go up to is around 30 miles a time, favouring long back to back weekends.

I did a 100k event off the back of not much more than a decent marathon training season so I am approaching the 100miler  with the same mentality...with more miles obviously.

• Options

Hi Dips. I know it's not ideal but had already entered the UTPD before deciding on adding the NDW100 image 

If I'm honest, I would prefer a couple more weeks between the events so will certainly be taking it as easy as possible in the UTPD with plenty of walking practice, it wasn't a planned training run lol... it just turmed out that way.

There are experienced ultra runners that advocate long training runs in the 30-50 mile range rather than back to backs due to the added adaption benfits for the body. Training is such an individual thing and I'm certainly no expert either but personally I favour longer training runs (30+) to back to backs although I use both. Either way, a tough 100K is pushing it but I'm hoping that by being sensible with my effort, I will recover quicly enough to give a good account of myself in my first 100.

• Options

different waccy i see.

• Options

wonder if this will help.image