Ultra Trail - Tour du Mont Blanc

Comments

• Spoke to friends over weekend and they're up for a weeks break in Cham over the summer so looks like I could enter this. They also have contacts of Cham locals so accomodation should be ok.
    Bit worried about this altitude chat though. Suppose I could get there a few days before the race. How much effect will the altitude have?
  • agree with FM on the altitude thing - go high, sleep low - any time at altitude will help, but just to turn up and do it is not a good idea.

Matt - you will notice the altitude almost as soon as you start climbing quickly - you will wonder where your strength has gone - purely down to the altitude as you are not getting as much oxygen with each breath. acclimatisation helps your body to get used to this. I think the highest cols on this route are about 2700m so these will be very hard without acclimatisation. that's why locals tend to win these events - they are used to working at these heights.

you will also dehydrate more at altitude - so take more fluid than you would at sea level. probably twice as much if exercising hard as you will be.

use walking sticks as well to help
  • Don't like the idea of using walking sticks, are they a necessity?
  • Have you seen the terrain - its pretty full on.

Quite a few of the competitors last year seemed to use them.

I will probaby take one with me - I find 2 very cumbersome
  • I think I would rather rely on my feet, especially if the terrain is diffcult. I'd end up triping myself over a cliff with sticks, too much info to process.
    Normal trail shoes?
    Whats the cut off?
  • walking sticks are not a necessity but you will find (with 2) that they help to give you a good rhythm on the uphills - on running downhills they may not make much difference apart from using like a 3rd leg for stability on very rocky sections.
  • Matt the cut off is 44 hours, though the average time seems to be around 30 hours.

On the face of it if seems generous compared to other races of comparale distance - but there is 8000m of ascent!
  • Sticks will allow you to consume from 10% up to 20% (depending on technique and strength of arms)less leg muscle power when walking uphill (cos' believe me you're not going to be running). This might not sound like much but after 10 hours or so you could notice the difference.
    If you use the foldable sticks they can be put into your rucsac when descending. Personally I think that after some time when you're legs are getting tireder you could really appreciate them also for the descent, but then again you need to know how to use them properly.

If you really want to know what you're letting yourself into try a mountain marathon before taking this on. To give you an idea my marathon PB is 3.20 while for a mountain marathon I would generally shoot for 5.30 (when I manage to finish!). The difference between road and mountain over the same distance is quite substantial and the longer the race the bigger this difference becomes, and don't forget that part of the race will be at night on terrain that you do not know and only the light of your headlamp (and maybe the moon) to help you.
    Concerning shoes I would suggest having different pairs waiting for you at each of the cut-off/check points (Courmayeur and Champex) so that you can change them if wet or whatever. Also would suggest a change of clothes and above all socks, not to mention your energy bars etc. and powders to add to water.
  • I am so glad I am not doing this!!!

fm - good idea on the gear drops
  • I had notied that there are several gear drops which is going to help
    I was plannig on having a set of shoeshalf a size bigger for the second 'half' as I reckon my feet will have swollen by then.

I'm assuming that good trail shoes would fit the bill over fell shoes like walshes on this event?

I was planning on using a trekking pole - maybe I should try with a secnd one to see if I get used to it.

I just hated them at the MDS.
  • Still undecided about this event.
    Idea of poles is growing on me. Have been skiing before so should get used to them quickly. Running down a scree slope with them might be fun.
  • Caspar, the idea of having a pair of shoes half a size bigger for the second part is a good one. In fact this was what I was going to do when I was still planning on doing it. Trail shoes would be the best, though I realise that not everybody might have three pairs of trail shoes handy. A pair of robust road shoes (i.e. Gel Kayano) could also do the trick. I've used these before in mountainous terrain without any problem.

Matt - I don't think there will be any scree slopes, unless of course you lose your way in which case you may as likely be going up as down.

Btw I don't know if you've thought about what you take with you but you're certainly going to need a sun hat, a warm hat, a pair of gloves, a lightweight waterproof/windproof jacket, a light running shirt and a heavier layer. Most runners will be wearing running tights but it might be worthwhile carrying a pair of running shorts or cyclist shorts if the weather gets hot. All of the above when not in use should be carried in a small pack together with energy bars, compass, suntan lotion (the sun can really burn in the mountains), sunglasses, maps, headlamp, drink etc.
  • FM

Thanks for the advice. All of the above are noted. I had planned for that anyway.

The shoes wont be a problemas I will probably buy specifically for the event (obviously wear them in)

Looks like I should hit Cham on Tuesday now, so that is a little longer than I thought originally.

I am really looking forward to this now - especially the dawn after the first 10 hours or.

The one one thing missing from your list which I wont forget is my camera!
  • Reading this thread makes me excited, and then I think about my running experience, cost, negatives which makes me think I should wait until next year to venture up to 100 miles. I'm sooo undecided.
    Running over the mountains in the dawn would be amazing.
  • caspar - re: the dawn - that's assuming there's no cloud!!! sorry

From Tuesday on make sure you get some high level training in - there's a lot of trails in the Cham valley to train in from valley level to high level. I would suggest you start with some high level flattish trails to start (maybe with a downhill at the end) rather that crack straight into a uphill as the altitude will knacker you (Cham is at 1000m)

try parts of either the Balcon du Sud or Nord:

Sud (cos it faces south)

take Brevent cablecar and run along the trail to Flegere and take cablecar down or run down depending on how you feel. a nice intro. this can be extended towards Argentiere/Montroc. fab views (if clear) of Mt Blanc.

Nord (cos it faces North)

take 1st stage of Aiguille du Midi cable car to Plan Midi and run to Montenvers and take train down or run down. no way to extend but at least you get to see the Mer du Glace which comes all the way from the top of Mt Blanc along the Vallee Blanche. spectacular.

or later (unless you are tapering) run from Cham up to Argentiere to La Tour and then up to the Col du Balme and back - progressive climbing until La Tour when it gets steeper. will give you a feel for a col climb (although this one is not in the race)
  • I should have said that should be Grand Balcon - there are also Petit Balcons which are lower level. and both those suggested are over 2000m altitude - Col du Balme is at 2200m.
  • have just been looking at the course maps

errrmmm - you'll love this - the last couple of hundred metres before the finish are on a cobbled street (Rue du Moulin). just what you need to finish the legs off!
  • fb - stop it, you're going to discourage them. Anway they're going to be crawling by then so it will only hurt their knees.

I approve your choices of trail runs. I would suggest however that after running Brevent to Flegere you could continue upwards to Lac Blanc where the views of Mt.Blanc are out of this world. Only thing is that you would want to do this early in the day before the lake gets surrounded with tourists.
    I often run Flegere to Lac Blanc but passing over the crest higher up (can't remember the name of the peak)- pieces of easy climbing and descent on the snowfield down to the lake - then down to Flegere scaring all the tourists by jumping over their heads - great fun.
    There is also a good trail which follows the MTB path from Cham or Les Praz towards Argentiere on the north side but then deviates sharply upwards and you arrive at the arrival point of the Argentiere cable car - descent by the same route - which is better than the piste which I tried last year and is really steep and not much fun.
  • Thaks guys

I'll check of these out.

I owe you both a beer.

• I might just take you up on that.

Btw I'll be in Cham until 21 august so if by chance you decide to arrive earlier (more acclimatisation) we could meet up.

My back problem is getting much better now and my doctor said that I might be able to start running again at Easter. This is encouraging me to think about a mountain marathon in mid June, after which I could judge my fitness for something like the montblanc trail (the idea just won't let me go). But then again I still have to try a run before judging to see what my level of fitness is now, after two months without running and only swimming. Anyway will keep you informed.
  • Good luck

if not this year there is 2005!
  • fm - the route you take to Lac Blanc as at the base of Belvedere I think. or maybe l'Index - not quite sure! nice all the same.

and I do know the one up from Les Praz to Lognan - not frequented much either - you can head up to the base of the Mer de Glace that route as well.

I think I have done every trail in the Cham valley now bar one or two minor routes and most on the Vallorcine/Buet side. still love it.
  • and FM - forgot - good to hear the back is improving. we must meet up in Cham sometime
  • fb - route starts at the base of l'Index, traverses east towards Lac Blanc but then veers up sharply half way to reach a very narrow col and then traverses east again across a quite sharp ridge with climbing and scrambling - not for novices as most people I see on the ridge tend to be roped up. It then descends from the peak down to the col between this and Belvedere, and so down to Lac Blanc. Belvedere is also nice and easily climbable while ascending but you need a harness and short rope for the descent.
  • ahhhh - I know which one you mean now - can't remember the name. my book of these things is in Cham - seem to remember it is suggested that scramblers rope up. haven't done it yet. is a little like a short, lesser version of the Traversee du Aiguille de l'M.

Belevedere is easier in snow as you can cut some nice steps to descend on - but would still rope up for it. Col du Belvedere is a nice route into the Buet valley on touring skis - rope descent to start but then an nice open glacier field down to the Pierre a Berard refuge.

anyway - we must stop boring Caspar & Matt with these things!!
  • Casper - didn't notice this thread before, but have thought about doing the event in passing, and did the Chamonix marathon last summer.

I can't emphasise enough how important it is to get out several days before the event to acclimatise. Last year I did the marathon at the end of a week out there, with two or three longish, gentlish runs (and some climbing) done during the week. I finished in 4:54 against a normal marathon time at London a couple of months earlier of 3:08. The winner finished in 3:21

(The first half of the race, which was around the valley floor and did not involve any climbing at all, took me about 1:40 against a normal time of about 1:30 - I think it is reasonable to put that down to the altitude)

I met some English guys at the start who had arrived the day before, and normally ran around 4 hours for marathons. I saw them on the plane home later that evening. They had taken something over 7 hours to finish the race, and had clearly not found it a pleasant experience.

I am tempted to do the UTMB at some stage, but not this year, as I have enough on already.
  • FB & FM

Doesnt bore meat all - just inspires me to get to cham - keep on trading routes!

Nick
    Thanks for the advice, I will be getting to cham on Monday now hitting the trails Tuesday.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    hi CK

how's the planning for this going??