Orthotics

Hi, my Physio wants me to add orthotics into my Asics gt2160s. I thought these shoes were already designed to help flat feet and I am therefore concerned that this would cause a problem, please could you advise?

Comments

• Yes but only if the orthotics are better suited to your feet than what is in the shoes off the shelf. Also I think the orthotics are what makes the 2160s so comfy, having switched to them from Nike triax a year ago. Is the physio recommending some off th shelf orthotics are are you getting some custom made ones? I'd be interested to hear how you get on as I may be in the same situation.

By the way when you say 'add orthotics' do you mean swap new ones in? That's the normal thing. You wouldn't put another layer on top of what is in there already (your feet wouldn't fit in for a start).

• Yes, swapping the insoles for some off the shelf which he highly recommended. So are you saying yes it's ok, or yes it's not ok? Please stately clearly or ring me for a chat on 07798838562, thanks
  • @nik Its not really for anyone to say if its ok or not.  No one knows your feet better than you.  If you've had problems when wearing the Asics and the physio thinks you need more firm/ higher support from an orthotic then you should try it

• Hi runners therapist, problem is I rang asics uk and even they are saying no. Also, a couple of years ago another Physio told me that the reason I had the problems at that time was because the previous Physio to her put orthotics into the gt2160s. My head is battered......
  • Hi nik,

Potantially any physio you speak to could give you a different opinion, not surprised the head is battered!  Generally, i would only use orthotics as a temporary measure and normally as a last resort (in non-surgical treatment/rehab).

Truth is, any trainer (even the most cushioned or motion control trainer) will be absorbing less than 10% of the forces created through your body when running.   Now, that 5% could be the difference between getting injured and not getting injured. 

But I think a better trade-off can be had by not just looking at feet but the rest of the body as well to see WHY you are 'over-pronating' or have flat-feet.

Feet are supposed to pronate when running, its part of nature's shock absorbtion in the body.   Trainer manufacture's and some therapists use the term over-pronation as a diagnosis, but I (amongst others) think its just a symptom for something else.

Tweaking your running style e.g.  shorter strides / less heel strike or getting treatment for stiff hips and ankles may do far more for you than any type of trainer or orthotic.

Hope that helps!

• 2160's have some control - they are not neutral. Orthotics (off the shelf) are cast in neutral and are therefore designed to be worn in a neutral shoe (Cumulus).

But, your physio may have given you a less prescibed and less posted off the shelf orthotic to add to the control the 2160 gives.

The insole in the shoe has no support, nada, zip, zilch.

• Off the shelf orthoses are not designed to only be worn in a neutral shoe as Six Physio have claimed.

When issuing an orthotic device (off the shelf or otherwise) the individual who has recommended/prescribed them for you should have in their mind what they are trying to achieve - It will usually be a case of them manipulating the reaction forces at the foot-orthoses interface in order to change the loading within the target (i.e. injured) tissue.

This can be (and is regularly) done in any class of shoe.

The concept of orthoses only being appropriate in neutral shoes is a myth.
  • Christ guys my head is even more battered!! BUT, can I say a big thankyou to all who have shed their opinion and tried to help (especially runners therapist). You know, I should have known better. Any question I have had with regards to anything linked with running, biking, swimming etc, etc since I've been really into it always have a wide spectrum of answers from one extreme to another. When the Jose mourinho of sports science appears, if ever, a man or a woman, who really can successfully definitively answer related questions... He or she is going to be a very rich man/woman. As George Harrison said, 'the farther one travels, the less one really knows.' image
  • @nik. Very true!  Don't think there will ever be a definitive answer as there can never be a one-size fits all solution (despite what people trying to sell you).  ''The path to true knowledge is not knowing all the answers, it's knowing all the questions''

• I wore orthotics and stability shoes for 2 years. I showed the podiatrist my shoes and even had gait analysis at the shoe shop. Both told me it was OK to wear them both. Both didn't know their arse from their elbow. Don't wear both, it is over kill. After spending about £300 on an Oesteopath and £hundreds on other investigative measures, a good sports physio, sorted my problem out and gave me a simple solution. Neutral shoes and orthotics. 

• many thanks Johnny, i think i might go down that route as I've been wearing orthotics and stability shoes and it hasn't sorted the problem as far as i can tell image