Windsor 1/2 Marathon

2»

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Even though I ran a (for me) disappointing time 3 minutes slower than the pb and 5-6 minutes slower than my goal (after 100 day training plan) this was wholly down to illness for the preceding week. In training I ran Burnham quicker than I ran at Windsor and did the GSR sub 70. So all things considered I was pleased with what I pulled out the bag on race day given how I felt.

I think the course at Windsor was excellent, no more hilly or 'undulating' than my training routes and I don't think we can blame the weather (it is in fact as hot as that most of the summer).
    If water did run out for slower runners then that is indeed a shambles, but as WWR identifies there is no excuse to be under prepared or dehydrated if water was available.

I will run it again but next year I'll probably do New Forest instead.
  • I run a PB (1Hr 32Min) at Windsor after following the RW 100 day plan (thanks RW)
    . The only other half I did was the Wycombe in July (1Hr 43min) having taken up running in
    May of this year so a PB was a bit inevitable, however was a bit disappointed not
    to run sub 1:30. Did anyone else feel that the finsih line was getting further away as you run down the
    last mile or was I suffering from heat stroke? Having a rest this week and im not sure what to have a go
    at next other than London (If I get accepted). If anyone could recommend a nice flat 1/2 Marathon resonably
    close to South Bucks then I might give that a go!

• I can really recommned the Hillingdon half for fast times, it is two laps on the flat around a square of roads around the outside of the University, just to the east of Uxbridge, so just off the M40. I did 1 47 when my previous best was 1 50 and I was not really pushing it as it was part of my training for another race, so I suspect that anyone really giving it a go could really take some time off their best at this one
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Fleet (Hants) half is fairly flat and is run in March.
  • Me and the good lady both new to forum and to long distances. Took up jogging in may and thoroughly enjoying the new lease of life. Bit dissapointed to hear that Windsor was such a poorly organised event as it was our first, nevertheless we thoroughly enjoyed the occasion. we crossed the line together in less that 2hours and were delighted. (romantic or what)
  • I too found the Windsor HM tough.I've no complaints with the weather - just right for me and dehydration wasn't a problem either. You just have to accept that some courses are harder than others. My time of 1:35 was almost identical to last year's.
    The course is attractive and its hills are
    a challenging price to pay for this benefit.
    I'm doing the Great North Run this Sunday for the first time. I'm told that the route
    includes long straight stretches on main roads. I know which I prefer to run. Never
    mind the time!
  • As a plodding pensioner this was the first time I had run Windsor so unable to comment upon previous years..I thought the whole event to be fantastic. I much preferred the atmosphere to the Great North Run ( which I will be running Sunday)Nice to see so many people supporting the runners.My time was 2.01 hours so not too bad, although I would like to improve upon this next year. The run was well worth the 500 miles round trip.
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    Oldtimer - good luck at the GNR - they obviously don't make them like that any more - not many would run 2 halfs only one week apart, I sure wouldn't - southern softies ehh!
  • I didnt get a PB either, but was only 1 second over my Southend Half time from June, which I am well chuffed with as Southend was pretty much as flat as a half can be, maybe will get a PB this weekend at the Felixstowe Half then :)
  • I hope you took it easy this week then NN.
    Best of luck for Sun
  • Cheers PM, yes very easy, had trouble with knee until Wednesday, only decided to run today once I had driven round the course with Long Legs
  • I did a hard session on Weds & since then have had tonsills the size of golf balls. I'll try an easy run tomorrow.

• No race this weekend then? What else have you got lined up for the rest of the year?
  • I'll just get the calender .......
  • ....... Sun Oct 13 Shaftsbury Gold Hill run
    Sun Oct 20 North Thames X-C league
    Oct Sun 27 Ricky road run (9)
    Sat Nov 2 Chiltern X-C league
    Sun Nov 10 North Thames X-C
    Sun Nov 17 Herberts Hole X-C challenge
    Sat Nov 30 Chiltern X-C
    Dec 6/7 ................ rest?
    Sun Dec 8 Chiltern X-C
    Rest of December I'll take it realy easy to recuperate & then do the
    Sun Dec 29 Cliveden Manor 10k

I like cross country.
  • does anyone know the website for the Reading 1/2? I typed in readinghalfmarathon and the British 10k came up!...strange!
  • At the moment my schedule up until the end of the year is,

Sun 6 Oct Feixstowe Half
    Sun 13 Oct Martlesham 10km
    Sun 20 Oct Tiptree 10 mile
    Sun 27 Oct Intersport X-C League
    Sun 10 Nov Stowmarket 7 mile
    Sun 17 Nov Hadleigh 10 mile
    Sun 1 Dec Intersport X-C League
    Sun 15 Dec Intersport X-C League
    Sun 29 Dec Intersport X-C League

I hate cross country, but it is good for the team so I sacrifice my preferences for them, arent I kind!!

I like to try and find a race a week to keep at race speed, you seem to do the same.
  • snilmot, sorry mate .....I know nothing.

NN. I quite like cross country running. I feel a lot free-er
    No mile markers, No official distance, No watch ......... No pressure, running for the love of running.

• I am still in the watching that I am not going to quickly stage and trying to hold back a bit in case I might go too quick, I will need to have an idea of the distance of these xc races that I am in otherwise I am stuffed, as I run completely different between races 5 miles and under and races 10km and over, I avent the confidence to go for it quite so much on those yet, have had too many hanging on races so far!!
  • Snilmot
    You are right. I had a link saved for the Reading Half and now it takes you to the British 10K....weird
  • Snilmot, this is all I could find, not much help I am afraid, http://www.reading.gov.uk/culture-leisure/halfmarathon/
  • Thanks, it gives the date at least!
  • No problem, I would think the Reading link that you have will point to the Half again (as opposed to the 10km???) a bit nearer the time, so it would be worth keeping note of that url, best wishes, NN
  • 20 mins slower than last year! The heat, and running the previous day did me, I think.
    For the attention of Nobby et al, Marlow 1/2
    03Nov - hilly (I'm afraid), but cold, very cold @ 0930! See you all there.
  • Snoop...I get your point about hydration (I actually posted a suggestion that people drink loads!!)but I'm afraid to say that even I was very hot....and some people just don't like running in the heat...give me a cold frosty day with a 9am start anyday...time for Windsor half was 1.39....8 mins off my PB set at Hastings last year.
  • did a pb - 2:15:57 - also raised lots of money for charity mate - Prostrate Cancer Charity

thought that the hills and lack of water was a bit tough, but a good challenge for my training

thought that getting home at 6:45pm was a bit poor as it only took an hour for me to get to Windsor :-)