Options

Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yeah - it's Denbies wine estate. You run a little in Dorking but mainly on the trails around the estate. A really lovely day out, great marshals, fantastic aid stations (lots of wine!), great crowd to run with and couldn't ask for better. It's normally always the same weekend as Medoc (medoc is always on the saturday) and personally I think that Medoc has a better carnival atmosphere whereas Bacchus still keeps the 'race' element. There were a lot of residents during Medoc bringing out their own cakes and drinks (there was one homemade liquour stop at Mile 15 that was AMAZING).

• Options

Emmy - looking at the previous reviews of Bacchus, it sounds fantasitic everyone raving as a must do and best marathon ever!!! - did you prefer Medoc or Bacchus as they are on the same day!

• Options

Wenty - I would not get any further than the first aid station if I signed up for that oneimage

Emmy

M - Easy run 45mins.

T- Rest

W - 4x8:00 threshold intervals + w/u and c/d so 10 miles in all

Th - Rest/

F - 10 miler with some MGP thrown in the middle.

Weekend - Enforced Rest

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Goalpost - trust me - you move on knowing that there is better wine coming upimage Best bit of advice I received was: take an extended stop with the wine served in glasses as opposed to plastic cups - it means its a good one!

That plan doesnt sound too aggressive - i'd just make sure that you're recovering well enough (nutrition/sleep etc).

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

For those looking at what's available during the marathon:

TCS Amsterdam Marathon:
    - 5 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
    - 10 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - water – sponge
    - 15 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
    - 20 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
    - 26 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
    - 30 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - AA-Drink Energy Gel - fruit – water – sponge
    - 32 km – water
    - 35 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - fruit – water – sponge
    - 38 km – AA-Drink Iso-Lemon - AA-Drink Energy Gel - water – sponge
    - 41 km – water
    - finish – AA-Drink High Energy – fruit – water – sponge

• Options

Along with half a dozen friends, I am entered to take part in Amsterdam M this October. Unfortunately one member of the group can no longer make the race. There's no refund available but the organiswill age kindly offered to transfer bib to a.n.other freenof charge. I am happy to take informal offer of Dutch beer as compensation.

If anyone's interested please send me a message as I'm usually on Triathletes (not Runners) World forums.

Otherwise best of luck to you all.

• Options

Emmy,

Thanks for your response, looks like cups it is then!!

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Happy to help Gravesylad!

• Options

Still not sure due to moving house (countries!) if I'm going to be around for this.  I really hope so, and if not running then with a full support team and words of encouragement (or just a big stickimage)  Will keep you posted!  If so can hopefully help with picking up numbers and the like...

• Options

Thats a shame H - surely you can spare a few hours running then get back to house moving in ther afternoon image.

Thanks for the support.

This is the quietest marathon forum i have been on. I think Rome and Berlin had about 50 pages.

• Options

Ha ha... It would be if I wasn't moving to South Africa.  It was supposed to be the weekend before the marathon, but it looks like we'll have to delay due to paperwork issues.  I've moved tons of times before but nothing has ever been this complicatedimage I'd love to be around for the marathon though.  Run it 5 times, so it's kind of an institution.  You'll have a blast!

If I can help with anything in the meantime, let me know x

• Options

I have paid a deposit on a 2 bedroom flat right by the marathon start/finish for the race weekend but am no longer running. If you are interested, please email me at timothyakstone@gmail.com.

• Options

I'm coming into this massively down on training thanks to a knee infection I picked up about three months ago. It's been just one run a week for the past month but I'm getting to the point when I'm going to up it to two or three (though having said that I'll be tapering in three weeks!).

Managed 14 miles on Sunday fairly comfortably, so the plan is three more long runs over the next three weeks (17, 20 and 22 miles respectively) with a few tempo runs thrown in midweek (5-9 miles).

I've pretty much given up on my sub 4 goal thanks to the absolute disaster that my training has become, but I'm still hopeful of getting in under 4:30, maybe even 4:15.

• Options

Statt0 - you are in good company - I have only done 1 run over 10 miles in the last 3 months!!!!

aiming for 3:45 - could be fun image

I did Berlin marathon with only one 6 mile run in 3 months (3:50 time) , so dont worry providing you have done a marathon before you will be ok - it just hurts more afterwards (I could not walk properly for a week or so after berlin)

• Options

Good to have you on board Statt0. Will be interested to hear how you get on. Why not go with only a two week taper as you would have less niggles than some of us on here I'm sure. I would ditch the 22 and replace with 18 or 20 absolute tops though. End up something like 17/19/20/18 = 84 miles of long run. Then again I have only ran one marathon.

That is a very respectable time Wenty given the circumstances. Even with the training for Brighton I ended up walking like John Wayne.

• Options

H - great news you might be running it again image

Wenty - 3.50 with one 6-mile run in 3 months? Hat's off to you, that's incredible

• Options

Goalpost & Weedy - the time was still slower by 40 minutes than Brighton! However it may have been my most important race of my 2 year running career, as it gave me massive belief in what you can acheive if you have to. I am no longer scared by 26.2 miles. BUT I do still respect it

Saying that I'm not looking forward to Amsterdam at present, as i have done a couple of 10 milers and one around 14 miles. I am supposed to have a 10k race this weekend so that only leaves 4 weekends till amsterdam marathon.

What do people think i should do for these 4 weeks? Plan is

15 miles then 16 miles, 18 miles and 12 miles (weekend before marathon), with some 10 milers in the middle of the week. - Or is this looking for an injury!

Any advice greatfully appreciated

• Options

Four weekends, I thought it was five before!

Statt0 - please ignore my earlier post and just do three long runs and not four, I wouldn't want the 22 miler only two weeks out from race day though.

Wenty - with your training to date going into this race I would think time on feet is probably the best way to go: 2h15, 2h30 then 2h45 two weeks out cutting back to no more than 1h30 the week before. With your training to date I would prioritise endurance above pace. You can always up the pace towards the end of long runs if feeling OK. 10 milers in the week sounds good to me, I normally tag a few easy miles on the end of my intervals just don't increase the weekly mileage too much.

• Options

Goalpost - yes its 5 weeks but i have a 10k this weekend which will knock a long run on the head so only 4 weekends for me to do a long run

sounds like your plan is same as i thought  as 15 miles is 2:10hr then increase to 17 miles would be nearer 2:30 and 2:45 would be about 18 miles and 12 miles 1:30 so spot on - thanks! unfortunately running seems hard work at present so long runs are filling me with  dread.

I feel like a naughty schoolboy going into his exam with no revision image

• Options

Goalpost, my last long run is scheduled for three weeks before the marathon:

17 miles on the 15th, 20 miles on the 22nd and 22 miles on the 29th. My 15 mile tapering run will be two weeks out and the 8 miler will be the week before.

All the best everyone. It'll be interesting hearing the post-race stories. image

• Options

Statt0 - all the best on those long runs......I will be upping my game as well - but dont think i will get past the 17 miler, as I think that will be too much in a short time for me, as i have come to the training too late. are you still shooting for the sub 4:15? I might see you round somewhere.

• Options

Hi Folks,

I've come into this thread abit late, I'm running in my Morph Suit ( Charity of course ! ) so please say Hi & as for training, it's ticking over, very similar to yours.

I'm not sure on the AA drink Iso lemon flavour, not been able to test it out !   I only use lucozade sports, don't fancy being ill with the hood up, lol

Happy running all this weekend.

• Options

Berlin bolt - great morph suit!!! - I have thought about running in a similar type of suit, and wondered how much it slows you down?

what do you think it would add to a marathon time?

I guess we should see you alright in Amsterdam Marathon

• Options

Hi Wenty,

I don't think it adds any time, infact it slows me down! I do it for charity and it certainly catches the attention! I have to stop to take the hood off to drink, it's tricky to see out of, water cups, curbs, bollards ets all hard to see!

I'm not worried about time anymore, done my PB, I just do it for my charity!

• Options

Very noble of you Berlin - very impressive PB you have i am aiming for sub 3 next year in London marathon.

I presumed it did slow you down (which is what I meant  by adding time), just wondering if it was significant or not?

• Options

I'd say so, it takes a bit of getting used to and I don't think I would have worn it if I was running for a set finishing time. It's fun thing really and a bugger if you need the loo!!

• Options

Bagged another 20miles running the lanes of sunny West Lancs this morning.  All is good with the world.

22 miles next week, 20 miles the week after, then taper time.

• Options

Sweaty sock - sunny? It has been pouring with rain for most of the day in SW London and yesterday for that matter as well. The weather is unlikely to improve anytime soon.

Berlin Bolt - Might need that morph suit if this weather continues although I am not sure if it would be wetter inside than outside if it were to rain on race day.

Managed to sneak out for a brisk 4 miler which included the final 3.1 in 21:00 which was surprising, never ran that fast before in training. 14 miles for the week. Lots of stretching and foam roller work to aid recovery this week. 

Will be interesting to hear how everyone gets on this weekend, this thread is rather short considering only five weeks to go.

• Options

Goalpost - having been born and bred in Glasgow, lived half my life in Manchester and done most of my running in West Lancs, you are unlikely to find sympathy from me for a bit of rain.  Toughen up image.

• Options

Lol, Goalpost .. too right rain or no rain it's still a boil in the bag suit & cos I sweat so much running it becomes a tad uncomfortable. Still what we do for charity aye. 

Well done with the brisk run today. I was out this morning also & it was very wet & chilly but glad I went today managed 19.80 miles ( not as a morph ! ) as tomorrow here in not so sunny Berkshire is forecast bloody awful with high winds ect.. 

Yes agree this site is a quiet one ... not long now image