Couch to 5K support thread

Comments

• Hey, I agree with Scott, set yourself little rewards along your journey.

I completed teh C25K back in June 2012 and rewarded myself with a new pair of jeans and some new tshirts as my newly toned up figure meant my existing wardrobe had got loose.  I also promised myself a running watch if I kept the running up for 6 months so in November, I bought myself a Garmin 110.

It is great motivation if you know you'll get a reward at the end or at specific milestones.

• Hello all - I've just started C25K as well. Looking forward to getting back into running again without injury and feeling that long missed high image

• Hi All,

I've just started running again in the last couple om months having done nothing for the last couple of years.

I decided to enter Manchester 10k to have something to aim for, and then persuaded almost 20 work colleagues to enter as well and decided to run for charity to make sure I didn't pull out!!!

Been doing a lot of interval training and recently got up to 8k, but as soon as I try to run any kind of distance without stopping it seems to fall apart - I went out tonight and only did 3.5 k but had to slow to a walk twice. Not sure if it's a psychological thing or if I've just conditioned my body to stopping & starting. It's not a massive problem to be honest, but if anyone's got any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is getting on image
  • It's so good to hear the success stories on this thread! I'm on session two of my C25K and it's fabulous motivation to read that some of you were running 10Ks within a year of starting yours, thanks!
  • Hi all - I'm on week one of C25K, its good to know i'm not alone image I'm hoping that i stay motivated when i go back to work next week and start 'running' in the evening.

Good luck to everyone else !

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Chris: Keep it slow, very slow as your building up the miles. Should be able to hold a conversation with no problems. If that means just above walking pace, so be it. My first efforts at non-stop 5k resulted in 12/13 minute miles (walking pace or someone my age it 15m/m.

Good luck folks, there are a lot of people on here who started with c25k. Worked for me.

Keep the goals small: get out for next run, finish it, finish week... Make a mile, 1.5 mile, 3 miles... Remember that by the time you get to week 8 the first week will seem so easy it's silly. The progress you can make is amazing, enjoy it.

Oh, I run on my own (because I enjoy it). And the rain (makes me feel 'ard)... image

• Hi

I'm a newbie!

I downloaded c25k about 11 weeks ago.. I got to the end of week 8, then it was christmas... and then I had a cold and felt rubbish.  I went out last night with the intention of doing about 20mins and i failed at 15mins image   I'm hoping my next run tomorrow will be better and this is just a 'blip'

Bit of background...

I'm 5ft 2"  35yrs old  and I weighed 18st 1lb at the end of september, I'm now 16st 7lb.   so the weight is coming off  (you are the first people i have confessed my actual weight too!) I've set a personal target to lose 4st so I am getting there.   I feel a bit self consious about running as I have a 'belly'   is there any advise you can give me to help get rid of the belly?   my legs are starting to look quite nice.. well for a fat person anyway..   

I would eventually like to enter a 10k race.. but rather nervous about it cos I'd be the token 'fat' person! 

Thanks for reading! image

• Hi karen.

Well done on your progress so far. Hardest part was starting and your well on the way to becoming a seasoned runner now . Hopefully the progress you've made so far will spur you on further. Unfortunately (as im sure you're aware) there's no overnight fix for getting rid of the bits on us we dont want other than to keep doing what your doing.

l did read somewhere that if you can manage 4 sessions of exercise a week that is suppossed to work wonders. 3 is great but it's the magic 4th that really does blast away the extra pounds.

As for the self concsious image you have of yourself when you run, l've not used them myself as luckily i've never needed to but what about using them tight fitting under garments a lot of women wear on nights out now?

Dont know what they would be like for running in in terms of how restrictive they are but it's something to consider l guess for a few months until you have a bit more self confidence.

My guess is come the summer you'll be in a nice bikini by then anywayimage

• Aww thanks Gareth...

I'm guessing doing an extra run a week wont kill me! It is rather addictive this running malarky! Thank goodness for the dark nights!

Off to dig out my spanxs!!!
  • Hi karen, don't worry about what any one might think of you while out running, if you are unhappy about your weight, at least you are doing something about it, so well done you!
  • Hey all, I've been reading with interest.  I too am on the C25K plan.  I did it a few years ago, and then stopped running.  I'm determined to get back into, and have been putting it off (especially as I'm a few stone heavy than when I used to run - now 13.5 stone).  And now I'm ploughing through the C25k, and finding it easy.  The way I approach it is that when I run, I always run a tiny bit slower than I think I can run, I think that way, it never becomes endurance, but enjoyment, which is important to me in the early stages for my motivation.

I love the thought of running outside, but I have this ridiculous problem, in that I go bright red as soon as I do any exercise (like lobster/sun burnt red) so am soooo self conscious about running.

Last year I bought a treadmill (a motorised one for about £150) its fab! I can run in privacy, don't have to worry about what colour I'm turning, and it's two minutes from my bed, (so no time to change my mind about my work out).  I do plan at some point to do one of the runs a week outside, as I know from before its so different to running on a treadmill. I will just have to pick my time carefully.

Good luck to everyone, and thanks for all the encouraging stories.  Hope I can inspire people in the future with mine.  image

• Hi Stell, good to hear you're getting back into it!

I had a little breakthrough on the C25K this week: having followed all the instructions about running very slowly, after about 5 sessions my knees were starting to feel tender after each one. I realized that the effort of running as slowly as possible was making me "brake" on every step as if running downhill. It turns out my knees don't hurt if I SPEED UP a little and lengthen my stride. Dare I believe that I'm actually making some progress at this running lark?!!
  • Hi all - I've just started the C25K program too... today was Week 2, Day 1, which I found tough but good going (if that makes sense)!

My issue is not that I need to lose weight (I'm a 40-year-old male, 6'2 and 11 stone) but rather that I could do with putting some on - and despite being skinny, am actually rather awfully unfit. (Last did any exercise about 10 years ago.)

Just wanted to say this forum is a great motivator - whenever I feel a little silly/inadequate about plodding for 90 seconds before walking for 2 minutes (x6) I think of all the others doing the same from here... and those who started on C25K and are now happily running 10K, half-marathons and beyond!

On a motivational note: I set my alarm and get out for dawn to fit in a run before work. Firstly because I know that after work I'd be far more tempted to flop with a wine rather than go running, secondly because it is rather lovely to get out and breathing hard as the sun rises on these cold mornings, and thirdly (perhaps most importantly!) there are far fewer people to see me struggling along at that time of day!

• Dominho, have a look for a book called the looniness of the long distance runner, by russell taylor, I have jusr read it and it was like reading my diary in places.....
  • Thankyou Scott, I shall certainly check it out!

• I fell off the wagon for a while there but ran my first full ten minutes without breaking, so chuffed! Had to share! Slow progress is better than no progress. image
  • Jambellz, keep going! It gets easier!

The snow isn't an excuse to stay indoors, there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!
  • Can I join in???

I have wanted to be able to run for as long as I can remember but convinced myself that I couldn't because I couldn't breath properly whilst running!  and that stamina was a problem for me.

So, last august after my 41st birthday I decided to give myself a challenge to do a circuit of 7 miles (which my husband does easily a couple of times a week) before my next birthday.

I downloaded c25k and started in September.  I started with a couple of friends but they stopped at the end of week 3.  I did the first 3 weeks twice and then moved on weekly. I got to week seven by the end of October and then things didn't go to plan so I am still trying to get on with week 8 now.  I wasn't quite as motivated as I was in the beginning but yesterday I went home and got changed after work and went straight out and ran - obviously after the 5 min walk image.  I didn't have the ipod (it wasn't charged up) so don't know how long exactly I was running for and haven't 'registered' day 1 of wk 8 but I'm so glad I went.  I really enjoyed it and am ready now to carry on with week 8.  I'm going to clock the distance on my drive home today.

My in-laws keep commenting on my going out in the cold with short leggings on but its only the first few mins that I feel cold.  Doesn't take me long to end up hot and beetroot like!  I think I am going to prefer running in the cold to the summer....I'll let you know if we get a summer here in the West of Ireland lol. 

• Hi All

Can I join in please?  I have GOT to start exercising soon as i am really starting to run out of clothes to wear and i ain't going about starkers!! image 

I downloaded the Nhs couch to 5 K plan - i am assuming the is the same one you guys are talking about.  I don't have a fancy phone you see. 

I am planning to walk the route I plan to use this week as I do no exercise at all.  If I can do that for six out of 7 days I can then start the program. 

I used to do a little bit of shuffling before but I always used to get the worst blisters.. I have rubbish feet! I am hoping i can find all the blister spots on my feet while walking so i can figure out which bits to cover with plasters before I start running.  I am going to search for more info tho. 

Did my hours walk this morning and it has certainly made me a lot more awake today so I can't wait for a few weeks time - I miss my days of healthiness!!

Shaz

• Hi, not sure if this is the right place for me to post as technically I've completed C25K, but only just. I started in the summer of 2011 and got to about week 4 or so before going on holiday and getting out of the habit and then it was rubbish weather....

So, I started again in maybe may of last year. Fairly erratically got through the first 6 or so weeks over the next few months and then by August was actually managing to get out 3 times a week. Having been going out running pretty regularly since then, but repeatedly dropping back to week 7 - once I hurt my knee and had to rest a few weeks, once work got in the way etc, each time I restarted at week 7. Got my hubby into it in about August which helped me a lot and then we decided to book a 5k 'race' on 5th January this year.

Definitely a big motivator - knowing there's a deadline, and it kept us both running over christmas. That said, I only managed to actually run non-stop for 5k for the first time 2 days before the race. As everyone had told me, the race itself was great. Seriously, no one worry about being overweight - I'm 14 stone and didn't feel at all out of place. And there were LOADS of people who walked more than I did (completely unbelievable, there were people getting in MY way- really didn't expect that).

Anyway, now planning to get up to 10k - mainly so that 5k feels easier!

Motivation is tough. And I have the excuse of 2 kids (age 5 and 8), a job and the fact it's pitch dark in the afternoon-evenings with nowhere good to run round here after dark. Having got my hubby into it really helps though. Sunday morning, one of us drives 5k away from the house and runs back - the other then has to go out and run to get the car back! We couldn't run together as he's faster than me and there's the kids, but this is almost as good. Somehow I can get up and do it knowing I am forcing him to run when I might not do it for myself. And vice versa when I really can't be bothered!

Also, fit runs in when your are already out of the house. I drive the kids to school and run home (it's about 5k away) or drive to school and then down to the beach near the school where there's a good loop. I'm planning to try to run in the evening whilst my eldest is at karate - I take him there, then he's there for an hour, so rather than sit about waiting for an hour ( too far to be worth coming home again) I'll go out and run.
  • Hello all, love reading this thread. C25k is such a simple but clever programme and it really works. I'm amazed at the speed I'm improving.

I've decided to take 2 days off and I've woken p this morning desperate to go out! But I won't. Even though we have the most beautiful blue skies here on the south coast. Ill go out tomorrow.

I also understand being self conscious. I've bought some running leggings which really do not flatter my huge ass and thighs, but they are comfy and keep me warm and cool enough. I just wear a cap and focus on me. I forget there are other people in the world.

I'm also very aware that when I used to see fat runners, I didn't laugh at them, I used to envy them for their motivation. I'm sure that's what others now think when they see me. Thee are loads of runners on the seafront here, and I don't ever feel inadequate. Most of them give me a knowing smile. I feel like I've joined a club that only other runners get - even if they are way out of my league!
  • Well said Bella. Most people who see someone large out exercising tend to think - fair play at least they are having a go!
  • Exactly - and I also think there is a hint of jealousy too.  I used to wish I had the get up and go to do it! (and now I have)

Also, in my experience no 'runner' would ever criticise someone - no matter how slow they were going.   Any non-runner who criticises is usually a bit scared that you are giong to get fitter than them one day.....  its a bit like people who tell you that you dont need to lose weight when plainly you do!

• I still can't find the motivation to get out if bed early to run ! I either have to do it straight from work or late at night. I prefer running before dinner but sometimes I run better 3 or 4 hours after a decent dinner. How does everyone else manage?
  • I can't get up early and run - it's just not me. I can get out for 9 or 10 if I'm not working. Otherwise, after work. I loved running after the kids were in bed last summer, but it's going to need to get lighter for that!
  • well I managed my week 1 run 1 on sunday, I was hoping to get out today but i had to do some decorating today and now the painting is finished its raining - typical!!

Will try and go out tomorrow early - less likely to bump into folk!!

I didn't find it too bad but went incredibly slow.  I had been walking everyday for a few days beforehand.

• Just ran my first 15 minutes without stopping, slowly adding the minutes on image
  • Eek! I haven't been out all week!

Between between finishing up my classes and turning in grades for all 260 of my students, and preparing to go on holiday on Monday, I've managed to squeeze in 3 days in bed with a heavy cold image

Today is the first day my lungs have been relatively clear of gunk, but it's chucking it down and its the last banking day before I fly out, so been running around all morning.

On a positive note, the weather in Florida is looking fabulous, and there seem to be some nice running spots around my hotel, so hopefully I'll make up some lost ground next week!
  • Hi all, I'm into week 5 of the plan and loving it! Im 47 andwondering why I've not dobe this before...time for some catching up!
  • Hello all, this is my first time venturing onto here, so please be kind! I'm on Wk7, R2 tonight... I've done almost every run in the dark with my trusted head torch, trying to avoid pot holes and puddles! When I run at the weekends in day light I find it really hard... I think its beacuse i can see the top of the hill, whilst in the dark you just plod on regardless! I think I must be one of the few that isnt looking forward to the clocks changing... last run (Saturday - Wk7 R1) I actually broke and walked 4 strides for the first time since I started the C25k plan. image .

Does anyone else prefer running in the dark?