Sub 20 minute 5k

Best time in my only 5k race ever is 22.52. Target is to beat 20 mins by the end of Feb 2013 in the Poole Park Run. I'm currently running about 20 miles a week including a long run and interval training. Going to up my mileage to 30 miles a week Drink less lager/wine Improve diet - more fruit/veg and less pizzas and take aways Gl me

Comments

• How long had you been running when you did the 22.52? It is possible to improve dramatically in the first few months of running but even so,  3 mins by Feb is a big leap. Even allowing for your current diet and low mileage. image What is your BMI?

• Was your PB at Poole parkrun as well? It is, apparently, the fastest parkrun course, so you might benefit if it wasn't.
  • Did 22.52 after 3 months running and I know 3 minutes is tough but I'm allowing for knowing the course and increasing my training intensity.

It is going to be difficult.
  • Yes the 22.52 was at the Poole Park Run and I went off so slowly because I was chatting to a friend. Could probably take off 30 seconds with more conviction in my run.

• 1st part of sub 20 min 5k done.

4x1k interval run.

Varying between 4.20 - 4.30 min per k with 3-5 min rest between each k.

• That's fairly low intesity for a sub 20 5k. (which is good at this point in your running).

6 X 1k @ 3:45 with 90 secs recovery would be better. (as an example)

You're only starting out I know but just to show what a sub 20 5ker would be doing.  You should aim for your k reps to be 4 mins with 2 mins recovery.

Do you run the parkrun weekly? Doing so would help you reach your goal. Or at least get a few more parkruns under your belt.

Progress at this stage should feel like it's comming on in leaps and bounds. Don't fret if you don't go sub 20 in three months, that really is a big ask. It may take you 2 years but that doesn't mean that that is the end of your potential. It's just that you should really aim lower to begin with simply to avoid injury. If you over stretch yourself now you may set yourself back more than 3 months, so do take it easy.

• Great post thanks.
  • Ran Poole Parkrun yesterday and ran a new PB of 22.30.
  • Upping my mileage to 35k+ per week with 1 or 2 interval training sessions on top. Need to do this training for a few weeks to improve my endurance. I didn't run much over the holidays. I've run 13k so far this week and I will run 10k tomorrow.

I can run a sub 6 minute mile which according to the McMillan Calculator equals a 20:25 5k which I'm 2 minutes off.

So IMO my general fitness need to improve and my weekly mileage must increase with quality runs included.

After a few weeks training I will run another parkrun and see if there is any improvement.

Anyway, let's see how it goes. Enjoying the journey.

• Tony,

See attached training schedule

http://www.209events.com/file/251.pdf

I followed the sub 18 plan but couldn't do the days with 2 runs per day due to work etc. also missed the odd session due to work or pub.

Managed to get my 5k down from around 23 mins to under 21 mins.

Hope that helps.
  • Combination of weight training, ab workouts, hill and interval training had produced a 5k PB of 21.10 at the Poole Parkrun. Sub 20 min 5k getting closer.
  • 4.71 mile run. Slow mile warm up.

3x1 mile repeats with 2/3 mins rest between each mile.

Mile times below -

6:50

7:00

7:24

First time I've done this form of training. Might be a while before I do it again. Intense!

Next few weeks I'm going to continue the weight training and up my weekly mileage.
  • Hi Tony,

Good luck with your challenge.

I started running last January to lose some weight and improve my fitness, but only did my first Park run in the June - coming in at 22:06, followed by 20:50 a few wees later.

I was training to run the Liverpol Marathon in the October, so I gave Parkruns a bit of a miss for a while, but came back to them in November and had by the end of the year had run 20:26, 20:37, 20:15 and then out of nowhere came a 19:51!  All of that was really on the back of a long run each week and everything else easy, more about getting used to regular Parkruns.  I've had a couple of 19:45s since, but not done a park run for about a month.

I have since done interval sessions each week for 4 weeks and had tempo finishes to my recent longs runs, so I'm hoping for another decent PB in tomorrow's Parkrun.

Hope this proves you can do it Tony, keep working at it!!

• David Falconer 3 wrote (see)

Good stuff Tonester, let us know how you get on ....... do you have any kind of long slow run in your training?

Every weekend. I tend to post the quality sessions because they are the most painful'

Martin King 8 wrote (see)

Hi Tony,

Good luck with your challenge.

I started running last January to lose some weight and improve my fitness, but only did my first Park run in the June - coming in at 22:06, followed by 20:50 a few wees later.

I was training to run the Liverpol Marathon in the October, so I gave Parkruns a bit of a miss for a while, but came back to them in November and had by the end of the year had run 20:26, 20:37, 20:15 and then out of nowhere came a 19:51!  All of that was really on the back of a long run each week and everything else easy, more about getting used to regular Parkruns.  I've had a couple of 19:45s since, but not done a park run for about a month.

I have since done interval sessions each week for 4 weeks and had tempo finishes to my recent longs runs, so I'm hoping for another decent PB in tomorrow's Parkrun.

Hope this proves you can do it Tony, keep working at it!!

I enjoy the speedwork which I only do once or twice a week and I am looking to increase my mileage to 25 - 30 miles per week.

• Thanks for the posts David and Martin. image

• Tom Rendell wrote (see)
    Nice one tony.

Thanks Tom

• I would like to say that marigold is an inspiration too. I follow him on twitter and his training for the London marathon is immense.

• Coming in to this thread late, sorry! It caught my eye as I'm also trying to break the 20 minute barrier for a 5k.

Tony - firstly well done on your progress! image to make that improvement when you've only been running a few months is excellent. What is your current average weekly mileage? ...Find I need to run 30+ weekly to see any benefit.

I've been running for 20 years and my journey has seen me improve my 5k from 29 minutes as a teenager to 20:30 last year - also in a parkrun.

Am following this thread & your journey with interest & it's good to hear all the good advice and suggestions too.

i'm definitely going to make use of local parkruns (2 have just been set up in my region) to try and get that elusive pb. Ran a 5k last weekend in 21:58, which was a bit disappointing, but it was on the back of a very hectic week.

Am doing my next parkrun Easter Saturday.

tony - when is your next 5k planned for?

All the best in your quest for sub 20! image

• Too short thanks for the feedback. I run the Parkrun when my wife isn't working because I'm looking after my kids.

Gl with your training and goal. Ran 6 miles at 8.31m/m this morning and felt very comfortable. I'm running 20m+ a week plus 5 a side football.

Gl Easter Saturday
  • Tony - thanks! good luck to you too. Well done on the 6 miles this morning.

I also mix another sport in with running - it seems to work well. I play badminton fortnightly and we do hill walking and go to the gym. Footy is a great work out...I can imagine there's a lot of running about with 5 a side. image

• 25 mile week and an hour of 5 a side plus 2 weight training sessions. Decent week! Can't wait to run in another Parkrun and see if I can beat the 20 minute barrier.
  • Disappointing week in terms of mileage because of my kids being sick. Not enough spare time to get the miles in.

On a side note I measure my waist about once a day (OCD) and it has shrunk to 34" from 37". No real change for months and now I'm really seeing a difference. When I started running my belly was around 37" and now first thing in the morning I have measured at 34".

Probably because the visceral fat has reduced and I am now seeing my stomach get flatter. It has taken regular running since July of last year to start seeing a difference. I can understand why people give up losing weight because it can take a while to see the obvious effects of a healthy lifestyle.

Anyway, going to up the mileage again and I should be running a 5k parkrun April 6th. Sub 20 min 5k?

• Just bought Adidas Adizeron Adios 2 off of Amazon. Hope they make the differenceimage

• Completed my first 200m interval training session today. Session done on a treadmill with 10 x 200m at 17-18kmh with jogging for 200m after each interval.

It was an intense session and once I'm used to it I'll run faster. Great way to get the legs moving and keep the workouts fresh.

Running Bournemouth Bay Run 10k this Sunday. Looking for a time of around 45 minutes.

• Didn't run the Poole Parkrun toaday as racing tomorrow. Didn't drink last night and obviously not tonight. Really looking forward to the race. 

Race plan is to start at 4.30m/km and then see how I feel after 5km. If I'm feeling good I'll look to run faster for the 2nd half of the race. A negative split would be ideal!

• Ran a PB in Bournemouth Bay Run 10k. Neat my previous PB by over 6 minutes. Waiting for official chip time. Great feeling. Race went completely to plan. Started at 4.30m/km and then in the 2nd half I felt really good.

Ran a negative split for the 2nd half. No exact figures but my preparation was spot on and it shows.

Brilliant feeling!
  • Official chip timing 43.11 secs.

Every second counts!

73rd out of 1200 runners.

15th in M40 age group.

• Well done on the 10k Tony, all heading in the right direction! image