2012 report cards.

Comments

• WiB you know me, feed me some jelly babies and the world will look like a different place image

Pmo you seem to have taken this to heart a little, for me this thread feels a little like showing off and one upping others achievements and that's not for me. We've already seen comments like 'my list is nowhere as impressive as yours' and to me that's not what ultra running is about. I'm not 'mad' or 'crazy' to run ultras and I don't run them so I can stand out amongst my crowd or tell people I'm an ultra runner.

I run because I love the challenge of it and I love to be outdoors. That's it. The runs I'm proudest of aren't the races I'm done they're the ones when I took myself off with a pack and a map and fecked off for a day on a new trail. Just me, no one else and certainly not a need to track it with a Garmin, post the route to a website or list it for others to see.

As I said that's just me, each to their own that's what makes us individual
  • Those solo adventures long or short are definitely what makes me tick. I plan to do far fewer organised events next year and spend more time exploring new places solo and with friends.

I am however more than a little attached to my Garmin, part of the enjoyment for me is to upload the GPS data to Strava and see how I faired against others who have run the same route / run the same ascents. 

• Has anybody else managed to come last in a race this year. I am the proud final finisher in the sdw100. Next year hoping not to come last in any races.
  • 4th from last, best race of my year, ran every step of a 10k with a pal, it was his first ever organised run, 5k further than he had run before and pretty much the only thing in recent years he has set out to do and stuck to. He lost 3 stones to get to the start line, seeing him cross the finish was a fantastic reminder it is not about how far or fast you run and certainly not how far or fast you run compared to others.

• so as we were saying jelly babies CAN make the world look like a different place-especially if the middles are injected with ecstasy (promise i wont Mr Lirishimage-much)...imageimage

• Dont know about a report card, LLB but I think you've just bought a week's detention!

• Might as well lock the whole forum down!   

• I'm going to do what I did at school, destroy the report before my parents saw it and gave me "construcitve critism" image

However as for 2013, I have entered my first 100m (for motivation / fear)

• Getting Faster: good luck! I'm still a year or two away from that, I think.

• slaneuk wrote (see)

Dont know about a report card, LLB but I think you've just bought a week's detention!

i was always sent out for talking too muchimage

• pmo

Since October I have basically been slingshotting each race off the last, recovering just in time for the next event.  It worked for a while, but it caught up with me at the Winter 100, and I ended up with a strained IT band and sub par performance. 

gee bee

I have not come last in an event yet, but I have come close in a couple of 100 milers.  I thought I had last place in the bag when I worked as a numbered course sweeper at the Stort 30, but even there I slipped past somebody. 

• Getting Faster: good luck! I'm still a year or two away from that, I think.

Thanks Debra, not really ready at all but figured what's the worst that can happen.....

• Getting Faster wrote (see)

Getting Faster: good luck! I'm still a year or two away from that, I think.

Thanks Debra, not really ready at all but figured what's the worst that can happen.....

They could replace all the cola drinks at the aid stations with Dr Peppers. Then they'll see how really grumpy I can get! image

• Gee bee, slane, your two performances were incredibly gutsy and gave me that spine tingling feeling as much as any of our winners from this year. The final finisher spot is just as impressive as winning, on a different but equally significant level.
  • image aw shucks, thats very kind.

Personally, I think the picture of the little boy in his crew t-shirt at the end of the report is wonderful and sums up the whole atmosphere.

• Slane, have you got a final finisher spot that you want to share?
  • Nope, I'm not one for the whole rambly blog report though happy to chat about it in person image Malheureusement, I can't stay that anonymous as you can read about it on the Winter 100 race report (not sure I deserved so many words but it was a kind write up for something that left me ripped to shreds under that wet clothing!)
  • 3 minutes to spare. That is superb pacing, I had 8 to spare so could have slowed down a bit near the end.
  • slaneuk

If you can finish that race under those conditions, you can have as much of my respect as you want.  The Winter 100 had a higher attrition rate than the Lakeland 100 this year.  The 40% of the field who finished, were generally the people who wanted to most. 

• Absolutely! ANYONE who finished is highly deserving of respect. Nearly 30 hours out in those conditions - amazing stamina and determination on show there.

• Ok, thx guys image Onwards and upwards I say.

• Debra Bourne wrote (see)

Absolutely! ANYONE who finished is highly deserving of respect. Nearly 30 hours out in those conditions - amazing stamina and determination on show there.

i agree with Debs, respect to everyone who even started ,never mind finished in those awful unrelenting conditionsimage

• Cheers Lou, I would have finished but apparently I just didn't want to.
  • The word "generally" was inserted to allow for people like yourself, who had an injury that made them physically unable to continue. 

• Gee Bee 2 wrote (see)
    Has anybody else managed to come last in a race this year. I am the proud final finisher in the sdw100. Next year hoping not to come last in any races.

Does joint last count? I hobbled 14 miles with a rather undignified pulled butt muscle rather than DNF. After a bit of huffing I pulled myself together enough to trot the last few miles and caught up with other stragglers. Three of us and the sweeper guy finished together which was quite sociable. I don't mind being last - I'm sure it'll happen again!

• In the spirit of a report card for the ultra forum:

Connemara Ultra 2012: DNS
    "Steve said this year he would complete something longer than a marathon but has not. Matron advised him not to start the Connemara due to an attack of real flu that lasted until almost the day before but I think he took that advice to cover his fear. The fact that he completed 50 km in training cuts no ice. Nor his three marathons in four weeks, nor his six in the year and other races, nor his 3000 km for the year. His attempt to classify Manchester marathon as "ultra in spirit" is bordering on the pathetic. When will he grasp the nettle and complete an ultra, is what the headmaster keeps asking me."

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Epic list of races Ben, very impressive.

Can't believe people are getting snippy with you, as if you can't be proud of the races you've finished, with no boasts about finishing times at all, on the ultra section of a running forum...

well, then we all might as well pack it in!

• Steve C.: Completing a 50K training run does so make you an ultra-runner - it's a Fat Ass, rather than an organised race, that's all! And greatings from a fellow Manchester survivor!