2012 report cards.

13»

Comments

• LOL I'm going to have to google that concept as previously I had ignored it due to inapplicability to my gluteus maximus or so I had thoughtimage

• Well Debra you have made my day: maybe I can call myself steve c fatass ultraboy after all. I claim my prize http://connect.garmin.com/activity/152851741. I just did a search on my Garmin Connect and this was the only outing in 2012 over 42.2 km done in a very strict 10:1 run/walk trying to keep my HR below 74% just to be sure I could complete. It was around this time of year and my water drinking tube kept freezing but so long as I took a sip at every walk break it kept flowing.  Ah the memories are flooding back. Maybe I should repeat it soon to maintain the fatass status for this year.

• I ran the Manchester marathon and felt worst at the end then i did after finishing the Thames Path 100 in sleet and with hypothermia.  You had to keep up the Ultra spirit to find your baggage in that muddy tent

• Catherine: I was lucky: my stepmother had driven me there and hung around so she had my clothes etc. and helped me to get them on when I was standing by the finish line, shivering violently within seconds after I'd stopped running. Sympathies for you and everyone else who had to contend with the baggage fiasco as well as the weather!

Meanwhile, having finished 2012 with a week's rest followed by four weeks of low mileage (less than 30 miles a week), I've started 2013 with 59.9 miles in six days, including 21 miles on New Year's Day and 22 miles yesterday - on legs tired after a tough, muddy 8k cross-country race on Saturday. Had the sense to rest today except for cycling over for a sports massage, which actually found very few tight areas of muscle. So, a good start to 2013.

• Yeah, Catherine, it took me 2.5 hrs to find my baggage and I was way colder by that time than when I finished the race.

Sounds you're off to a good start, Debra. (Was it you who is doing Boston this year?) I haven't run further than 29 km in Granada on a holiday recently, but managed to get 110 km in the last week of the year giving me my third highest mileage month ever image
  • No, not doing Boston - don't think I'm fast enough to qualify. I was going to run VLM but I've had to put that on hold due to a clash of dates. My plan now is for five 50-milers during 2013... also for more than 2000 miles altogether and zero weeks off due to injury (a occasional day to let a twinge settle down I'll be okay with, but no full weeks off. Consistent running is the key!)

• Nice plan! I'm aiming for 2013 miles as well, but the 50 milers - hmmm! I am tempted to try a Norwegian one though, near where I live called (in translation) the Ultra Birch Legs at 57 km trails.

• Steve C.: Sounds lovely. I'm moving more and more to trails rather than road (although I had the sense to stick to road to allow my posterior tibial tendon to heal).

And congratulations on your 110 km week to finish 2012!

• Thanks image For the remote chance that anyone's interested, here is a list of ultras in Norway this year. Each one has a link which may have an English option, or at least one could run it through google translate. As I said, I'll probably go for the one on 8/6 and if that's OK I'd love to do the stage race on the old railway-builder's route in the mountains on 20/7. Also I'd like to do Kristin's round on 3/8 but that 50M trail course scares me. We shall see on next year's report card image