Monday 3rd December 2012

Morning from a snowy West of Scotland.

Todays lyrics:In the drunk tank .An old man said to me: won't see another one

Fridays lyrics in case anybody is stilli nterested: Coldplay: It hurts like heaven.

What:4.5M Fartlek

Why: Mondays session Enjoyed running on the freshly fallen snow

Really busy weekend dog watching a neighbours black lab who is the same age as Geordie. A male dog amd they were both were out and about often for walks.

Catch up time, back later

Have  a good one.

Comments

• Morning.

Blisters - I don't think it's a glitch as it's fine during the warm up.

NZC - sorry to hear that the neck is still bad. You're spot on about my race though - I always said that it was just a way of running faster than I would in training and I managed to do that.

Snow birks? Hope it doesn't cause trouble.

OH - I didn't realise you had x-country races - is there a regular league?

I'd like to swim this afternoon but won't have time as need to stay at work late for some CPD so it's a turbo or nothing. As my legs can feel yesterday's effort and my RHR is slightly raised I think I'll go for the latter option and hope to be able to train better tomorrow - though that may change if I come home stressed!

What:          probably nothing
    Why:           see above
    Last hard:   2/12
    Last rest:     1/12

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning,

What: not sure yet, but something little as working from home.
    Why: the snow has all gone image  Though it's meant to be back again this afternoon...
    Lyrics: no

NZC  sorry to hear your neck is still bad
    LMH  take it easy!
    Birks hope it's not too snowy.  Do you have snow tyres?

Have a good one all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    LmH - don't beat yourself up over a poor race. As you've identified there are a number of possible causes, yet despite that you still ran a pb (albeit as you say an old one..) Take the positive and move on. If you do train today just take it easy with no goal/target
    Blisters - way to keen with Christmas...although I did say to the missus maybe we should get a real tree this year: we've had the same one for years, used to have to pick the kids up to reach the top, its now (at best) waist height. Unfortunately my youngest stayed at friends saturday and their house has more decorations than Santa's so she's come home with all sorts of ideas...I'm never going down the 'lights outside' route though..
    I digress, training today will be 5 easy, as recovery after the weekends xc races
    last rest - friday
    last hard - yesterday
    lyric - probably should, but not immediately obvious

have a good week

• Just wet and miserable here, that and with a cold, I'll take a rest.
    That's the what and why
    Last hard yesterday (1st XC)
    Last rest Friday
    Lyrics - no

LMH you really are your own worst critic!image
    fairly low key XC series here organised by Maxie (as of KHM)
    Think I was 3rd of 3 vet men! but not sure.
    Women were running same course and I significantly beat K who was neck and neck with me at Loch Ness.image
    Think the trainers may never look the same again!image

• Morning lovely people. Welcome to 1st full week of December and it has seen a temperature drop. Brrr
    Lyrics: Absolutely, all time favourite Chrimbo song
    What: Core session at the gyme
    Why: Signed up for the programme
    Last Rest: Saturday
    Last Hard: Last Wednesday
    OH and her daughter signed up for Embra half so now got to distance coach one and coax the other. Any ideas which is which?image

• c'mon guys, join in the Christmas fun image. I'm usually not keen on it either but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. You can't escape it so I decided to be very zen for once and go with the flow. It's hard work with them decorations, so I rather put them up early to make it worthwhile.

LMH: sorry you had a rubbish one. Sounds a bit like my 10k the other week when my HR went through the roof before we even started. These things happen.

Straycelt: good point re. core work. Must do more or it!

First day back at work after the xmas party and I keep hearing embarrassing things that I forgot about. Whoops. Memory of certain hours is rather patchy. Anyway, we all had a jolly good old time image.

I meant to go for a run this morning but last night's rain had frozen over. Can't be doing with another fall. Hope it's gone tonight so I can squeeze in some 3 to 5 miles.

• Afternoon.

we know and love the words

Well I ran 5 miles on Saturday. Calf still a bit sore. going to see the man on Wednesday.

Christmas - I was instructed to get the decorations from the attic on Saturday. 19 boxes later Mrs PM is beginning to agree that we dont need any more!!

Christmas Parties - now there's a thing!

Nothing today I think training wise - I'm not feeling 100% and tomorrow is another day!!

3 entries in for my race!

• Looks like I left Hamilton at the right time then, down to a cold but snow free south London.

Digs has a gym in it tonight so likely just 3 miles easy treadmill and some cycling and swimming. Hopefully has a sauna as my back is breaking with the cold.
  • Afternoon

Chick Know what you mean we  have it at work One who really loves christmas i mean really image for me it  has sad times but love the spirit of it all just not the commercial  aspect A few bah humbugs its funny  seeing the interactions

What: 21.19 miles on the bike
    Why: I felt like iti
    Last hard: The last  5-6 miles in the wind
    Lyrics: On the radio now it is amongst my favourites

Decided on a cycle this morning decided to cycle to lakeside and back around the  roads then decided to cycle to a nearby  town miles away fancied going further but hunger pangs 21.19 miles later

Got miss call from work. Guess where i am tonight image

• Afternoon

What 8 commute
    Why damage assessment
    Lyrics no

Assessment results were quite good, averaged 6:50 over 8 with splits of 6:30, 6:42, 6:50, 6:52, 6:58, 6:59, 7:07, 6:49. No issues with either knees or legs. Will try and just plod to regain some degree of form before serious training post Xmas for the big Spring campaign.

There appears to be a few new faces since I was last here so hello to all.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Pammie and postie some good sessions there

In the end I did: some indoor leg warm ups (lunges, squats, jumping jacks) then 3.5 km hill repeats, then back inside for core and upper body, a 45 min session in total.
    Snowing heavily now and our heating doesn't seem to be working...joy.

Chick he he, it's always slightly embarrassing when you can't remember things from the night out!

Have a good one all.

• Thanks for the wise words Dustin - you were spot on and I needed to hear it. No point in flogging myself through a bad session and yesterday was supposed to be my effort session for the week so doing an interval or threshold turbo the day after was a stupid idea. I went out for an easy 30 minute run instead and enjoyed every minute, even though it was dark and I had to stick to the lit paths.

Pammie - is that not now your longest ever ride? I save those for warm weather!

OH - will trail shoes be on the xmas list then?

Paddy - 19 boxes?!? Good to see you slipping a run in there, no ill effects I hope.

Oh dear chickadeee image

emzap - good improvisation there - hope you can get the heating sorted soonest!

Bah humbug.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH its got to be close did at least 18 once but would need to check it wa one of them lets go for a ride and see how far didn't plan to least it gives me just 49 miles to do now before the years out

• Evening!
    Just back from the East Midlands, having told my mother about my prostate...which she did not take on board yesterday (it was a classic dementia moment): told her again today when hospitals cropped up: "I thought your leg was getting better!"

What: rest
    Why: over 5 hours of driving today and yesterday...need to elevate my swollen ankle!

Lyrics: indeed. Must be Christmas.

Yesterday's lyrics were, "Let it Be", The Beatles.

Now where are those decorations, and the cards left over from last year. I think the cake needs feeding a little more brandy, also.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse - feel for you, it is very hard when your mother can't give you any support.

Don't tell me you've made a xmas cake! Very impressed.

Pammie - good long ride from you. I had to look twice as I thought it was a really long run from you!

postie postie - nice splits!

Dustin - your kids are going up! 

emzap/Little Miss Happy - going to the chiro this morning - hopefully he can sort me out! My lower back is out now too!

What: 5 miles including 3 x 1km efforts.

My garmin 610 is too much for me. I'm a girl who doesn't even use her mobile phone, unless it's an emergency! So definitely have difficulty with the swiping of the face of the watch!

I was all set to do my 1km reps on a particular road that I know has produced some nice fast times for me in the past, but do you think I could swipe the watch to get it to move to the point that  I needed to to take the programme! No way. So I just thought I was just going to have to wait still I got the buzz from each km and run like that.

So it was a different kind of run - up and down, and very frustrating!

• NZC:  I always make my Christmas cakes in August!! Kilometre reps!! Have you got track races coming up?!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Just sat down for the evening, bliss.

What: 4mile easy at 8min/mile.

Why: should be a rest day but boss is staying at digs tomorrow so likely won't get out.

Lyrics: thud, thud, thud, thud, thud. (No headphones lol)

Next hard: Wednesday 5k @7min/mile.

Christine ill take the watch off yeimage

Birkmyre, where you from in the west?

Alehouse: hope all goes well for you.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Rest day here as not long in from work....

Decs went up yesterday inside... we are boring as dont do outside except a wreath on the door.

Take care

• alehouse - I've got a 3000m on 16th Dec.

Spark - think I'll have to keep trying - expensive birthday present!