Lancashire Runners

Comments

• Central sounds like a good run out! Not sure about Vernons 4 mile, i might do the Lea 10K instead now.......hmmm!

I do enjoy Longridge, although one year i did it, it was freezing!! Still loved doing it mind you! And yes the bacon afterwards is a welcomed treat. I like to use the race as my final run of the year and unwind for Christmas.....although if I do central i won't get that this time.

I think ive had that lighting affect myself, near the reservoir on the fast downhill section? Just have to focus on the read and hope not to collide with any one.

• Well nearly weekend again and it seems a lot of us have races- hope they all go well. I'm tailrunner at Preston parkrun tomorrow, then Vernon on Saturday. Still doing core work (and it is less painful now) but sadly no sign of the 6 pack yet, but that may be due to cake

• hi all.did you do race today penguingirl?

i thought it was a nice run.was suprised at number of ppl in race.i finished in 28,44 that was my time on my watch. onto beat the reaper 10k next week then start next years marathon training.oh forgot my home race week after reaper race,accrington 10k. for once i dont have to drive far lol. but our wishes turn to sjpc in the dublin marathon. hope it goes really good for you.

• ps. i was in blackburn road runners top penguingirl. 

• thanks Rick. Not long now till the big day!! Got a bit of a thigh strain the moment, but i am staying positive that there is time to recover from it. What marathon you running then Rick, if your starting training soon, it must be one early next year

Any one else watch the Chircago marathong at the weekend. It looks amazing!!!

• Manchester marathon 1st in April then im in Edinburgh marathon end of may. Hey I came 1st in my age cat at vernon 4mile. Happy with that.

• Two marathons in one year very impressive going!!

Have you seen this guy :

http://marathonman.com.au/

Pretty amazing hey!!

And well done on being No.1 in your age group rick, thats pretty good going!!

• Just seen the Vernons winner did it in 21mins......now thats impressve!!!

• Sorry not been on here since Vernon- feel like I've not paused for breathe (and had to squeeze yesterday's run in at 6am). I really enjoyed it as a race- did it in 37.09 and think I was 6th non-vet lady! Admittedly there only looks to have been about 11 runners in the F category, but hey-ho. It was a good race for me, as it was the first time in a while that I really pushed myself, and I now think that getting my parkrun time down is a possibility if I keep working at it.

Well done on your prize Rick- did you pick it up? Some of us from Preston parkrun stayed for the results (as the RD Shane is a parkrunner) 

• 6am!! Goodness me thats early running. I wish i was more of the morning person, although saying that my average going to bed time of midnight probably doesnt help!!

6th place, even if there was only 11 female runners is good penguin, esp as i know youve been short on time and had stuttering training.

I ran 7 miles last night......pain free image

• My first time posting in here, but after a lot of lurking, I thought I'd say hello! image 

I did the Vernon run, too, and somehow managed to win the first price of my life for being 3rd in my age category (admittedly, there were only about 5 in it in total and I still ended up very much towards the end of the results table, but hey, we all had fun image).  Ended up starting off way to fast though and now my calves which had been niggly for a couple of months feel like they have completely seized up.  Not a very good start for the Green Drive 5 on Sunday, where I have a very realistic chance of actually coming dead last looking at the results from previous years. Eeek!  Can't say I'm particularly looking forward to that one...

• Welcome tantrumbean! Well done on your prize at Vernon- hope the calves have got better now! The first mile was quite tough as that incline was deceptive. I also went for the start too fast and then hang on approach. What time did you get?

Enjoy Green Drive- I know a couple of other people doing it and they are not fast runners so I'm sure you will be fine. 

Whereabouts are you based? 

• I got 39.26, which isn't great in the bigger scheme of things, but I was happy with it all things considering.  I think you might have paced my friend Jane round?

Calves still not very happy, but I suppose they've still got a couple of days left to settle and I might have to go for a more restrained approach for the Green Drive 5! At my pace, I don't think anybody would really notice the difference.

I'm based in Preston.

• Hello tantrumbean and welcome to the forum. The more the merrier!!! image

Try giving your calfs a good massage twice today and twice saturday that should speed up the recovery time and hopefully make them a little easier to run on, on Sunday.

• I know who you are now tantrumbean (in a non-stalker way, obviously...). I think Jane is doing herself a disservice saying I paced her- she started off quicker than me so I caught up with her after about 5 minutes to pace myself!

Hope the calves get on the mend quick. Have you run since? I find that the horrible recovery run does help with loosening up, as does warming up.

• Also I think you could probably claim 2nd in your category, as I know the person just in front of you (Kate) got the 1st prize as the 1st F35 was also the overall F winner so you were all bumped up one. I think at our pace we have to be grateful for any glory we can get! Similarly I'm always pleased after parkrun if I'm 1st or 2nd in my category- and then last week I was tailrunner and still managed 4th which has taken the shine off a bit...

• Dont let that take the shine of things Lou, your made some good progress in your running over the course of the year.

• Woohoo!  Second!  That's almost as good as the Fleetwood 5k where I came first in my age group (being the only one in it)! image 

The calves are still not happy, went for a run on Tuesday and fortunately it didn't make them any worse, but since then I think I might have overdone it with some slightly obsessive stretching, because even the one that didn't hurt before is now sore, so a lot of it is now self-inflicted I think.  But I'm happily massaging away at them, so fingers crossed...  Don't think it's anything serious, just need to be more consistent with warming up, stretching, etc.

• Well done tantrumbean!!! Thats excellent going!!

Have a look into Dynamic warm ups fro running. You might find it of interest.

• eek, hope you are feeling ok about it. How's the weather looking? I can imagine you pouring over maps of the course working out your pacing

• i may of looked at the map once or twice :P i also found a video of the route, which is pretty cool!!

I should be ok, but you cant stop that nervous excited feeling when a big event is coming!! Not sure about the weather, as long as its not as bad as the Preston marathon day, then that a be good.

• SJPC, thanks for the dynamic warm up tip, have had a look and am definitely going to give it a try!  Think part of the problem is that I gradually moved from a heel strike to a mid-foot strike due to constantly overstriding before and ending up with very sore quads.  I'm still quite new to it, but on top of that I also changed shoes recently and the new ones are a lot less build-up and more along minimalist lines than the old ones, so my feet and calves are still getting used to it - on the plus side, the quads are very, very happy! image

Good luck for Dublin and some half-decent weather!  We were marshalling at the Preston Marathon and I felt sorry for all the soggy runners with bleeding nipples going past, it didn't look like fun at all!  At least all we had to do is stand there in several layers of waterproofs and even that got quite uncomfortable after a few hours...

Penguingirl, I need to find out who this Kate is, she came in just before me at the Green Drive Five as well - will have to track her down and use her as a pacer! image

• Thanks tantrumbean, fingers crossed it wont rain. But the weather forcast didnt look good this morning!! I dont think i'll ever forget the Preston Marathon!! Luckily i took to wearing plasters over my nips some time ago.....others on the day clearly hadnt and yes....it wasnt pretty!!

Yes ive only just moved to Dynamic warm ups last week (There is a helpful video on my blog about it....here   . Still seems very strange to me , but i am slowly getting used to it. And it does seem to work, just have to get good at postrun stretching now. Which is something ive been a bit slack on in the past.

I am a bit of a heel striker myself and have been trying to change how i land my feet. Not easy unless i am thinking about it. Decatherlon have brough their own shoes out this year with one pair aimed at heel strikers. I cant remember which ones they are and ive not tried them out myself but the brand is called "Kalenji"

Be careful moving down to minimalist shoes, i believe the advice is to do it gradually, getting a thinner shoe each time. There was an artcile about it in the Guardain sometime ago. This might of been it :

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/the-running-blog/2013/jul/05/christopher-mcdougall-born-to-run-interview

• welcome tantrumbean, im also a vet of the preston marathon, and will never forget that wind and rain in my face on them back roads lol,all the best sjpc for dunblin, accrington 10k for me this weekend and for once im running in my own town,i did the reaper 10k in Liverpool last week,was really good but only found out after the race it was a fun run and there was no results, did anyone here do the York marathon?

• Unlucky rick, did you at least enjoy the reaper run ?

I know one person that ran York, but not from here , their blog is here :

http://tinyrunner85.wordpress.com/

Good luck at Accrington, ive thought about doing that one in the past let us know what its like.

Thanks for the good luck message, im number 1276

• Last post before Dublin :

http://sjpc14.wordpress.com/

Not long now and I cant wait!! Why is the last training run always a strange one.....maybe its me!!

Good luck anyone else who is racing this weekend other than me and Rick and enjoy ParkRun you ParkRun people.

• Hi guys sorry about the delay, didn't get back from Dublin till Tuesday. I did great ironholgs. 3:31:33!!! So happy with that a new PB and its a race I recommend to do. Huge crowd turn out and well organised

For more details about my Dublin adventure see my blog

http://sjpc14.wordpress.com

Other than the crowd being fantastic and on a pair with the Great North Run , not quite the scale of London, but then London is a big city!! The course is a nice course, but they throw in a few long climbs in the later parts of the marathon which caused me to hit the wall from the 19 - 21.5 mile points.

Oh there was also plenty of feed stations.

• well done sj,fantastic time,loved reading your blog.its got me in the mood now for my marathon next year.im going to do a few more 10k races till the end of this year then get my mind on training for Edinburgh,