Lancashire Runners

Comments

• Great thread and feel like I have found my new RW home.

Based in Longton and have been running races for the last 7 years, since my body decided it didn't want to do what my mind was telling it when playing football.

After a five year absence I ran Longridge 7 mile race yesterday. Managed my 2nd best time out of 4 races there so was very happy. This is a cracking little race. Plenty of car parking, bacon or sausage butty and a coffee for 2 quid and a cake for 40p and pleasant marshalls. No frills but a top race. It is a tough old course with hills from the start. Big climb from 3.5 to 4 miles but last 2 miles are a great long downhill.

Next races for me are the Central Lancs and Inskip Half Marathons.

Toying with doing Anglezarke Amble, 25 miles run over Rivington Pike, Winter Hill, Darwen Tower and Great Hill. Organised by Long Distance Walker Associateion, and when I did it two years ago it was very well run given it is very cheap to enter. Also, being a walking events that tehy are happy for runners to enter there is cake and biscuits on route, and hotpot and rice pudding at the end.

•  penguin there a Blackpool half marathon, which is really dull and just does two loops along the front. But I think that there is a second HM in Blackpool or im making that up.....so that other one if its real might be more interesting.

Hey max well done on Longridge, i was there too. I got a PB which im pleased about! Quite a few too many cars on the course this time round, im sure it didnt used to be that busy, previous times ive done it! I think we got lucky with the weather hey!

And i think i will be at the Inskip too, not entered yet mind, but want to.

How did everybody else's races go ?

• Morning Folks,

Managed to get 45 minutes in this morning before 6am with my mate and then speed walked to work as a warm down. Was bloody cold and a lot of black ice about.

No need to apologise Paul for mentioning the book, I'm fine with that. Seriously glad you enjoyed it and thought it was worth mentioning image
    Your job sounds "interesting" to say the least. The offer is always there is you fancy a run at any point.

There is the Blackblackpool 1/2 mara in April and Great Northy West Half Marathon. in February

Well done Max and SJPC on your performances at Longridge.

• Well done to you IronHolgs, up before 6am for a run!!! very impressive dedication!!

And its the Great North West HM which is the really dull HM i did in Blackpool, not sure about the other one.

• Hi everbody.id like to wish u all a very merry xmas and a great new year.day after xmas im going back into training for blackpool and manchester marathons.i know im getting a cpl of marathon books for xmas so hoping to get some good tips from them.anyone here planning to run layland run on boxing day? might have a go at that.anyway have a good xmas ppl.
  • Happy xmas to you too rick and to everyone on here. I couldnt do Leyland, id be too full of xmas dinner from the say before lol - but good luck.

Did any one do the ParkRun today ?

• I did parkrun today- it was very wet and was hard work given my recent lack of training! It was made slightly easier by my friend giving me a piggy back up the hill the 3rd time round!

I've decided on the Liverpool HM in march and a couple of 10ks on the way, so the training starts on the 7th Jan! I think I need structure to my running again so I'm looking forward to it.
  • I'm over in Penwortham for Xmas. I'm planning to run 8 or 9 miles on Xmas eve then have a couple of days rest. The last few years I've clocked 10 plus miles on the big day but not this year. Hoping to do Inskip HM.
  • Hi everyone. Brilliant to see a local thread on here talking about the races that matter. I've been running about 6yrs but a knee injury put me out for a couple of years and with 12months back and just getting back near form...which is slow and steady btw.

I'm doing the Wall next year which is a huge step up from my my 1 ill-prepared 5hr VLM this year. Greatly looking forward to Ribble Valley which is one of my annual highlights...always good race. Next race I'm planning to do is hit the trail on jan 6th followed by either Great NW half which yes, is boring but also fast, or Liverpool. Haven't decided between Manchester or Edinburgh yet...

All parkrunners come and visit Burnley one sat morning. Lovely flattish course in Towneley Park with a great bunch of runners.
  • Howdy all, I've been running since March 2011, mainly as a way of burning a few excess (ale) pounds. I'm based in Blackpool.

Upcoming races for me are Inskip half marathon in January, Trimpell 20 mile in March and Blackpool marathon in April.

I did the Freckleton and Blackpool half-ms last year plus a few 10k and 10 milers.

• Hi rick from another rick lol.thats really good running plan u got.i started running a yr ago.i did preston marathon in oct and a fell run in nov then stopped running.ive restarted my running this morning with a 8.50mile run.time was off a bit but putting that down to small dog with me lol.im wanting to do blackpool and manchester marathons in april.i need to find myself some hm though in between i think.anyway good running to you rick and everybody else on here.ps. if anybody runs around accrington on here ide be up for some running.
  • Back in Sheff after sojourn in Penwortham. Maaged about ten in Xmas eve on the Liverpool road.
  • Eh up northerners! Struggling to get excited by either Manchester or Blackpool marathons. Need a spring marathon as part of training for the wall. A NW mara would be most convenient/cheapest. Can anyone sell one of them to me?

Also anyone do the Ribble Valley 10k? New pb for me despite the rain...yippee!
  • Afternoon everyone I'm Maria based in Bolton, what a great idea for a Northern thread, well done to ET.

RRR - do you like hills? what about the Bolton Hill Marathon March 10th, beautiful surroundings (okay hilly) and cheap too. Someone told me yesterday that Manchester Marathon is £52 this year - ouch!

Good luck to everyone with their racing. I am just waiting for the club races to be loaded online so I can plan my running year. So far I have cross country, Parbold Hill, Wilmslow Half, Man v Horse and Rivington Half. Central lancs half already done (loved that & the bus) so looking forward to another great running year. image

• Well done Maria. Disappointed to miss the Central Lancs for the first time.

Not sure when I'll be over NW for a race. My first race back after stress fracture should be the Dewsbury 10k next month but I might look at the ST Anne's 10 miler in March, I like that one.
  • Was just checking the Inskip Half thread and there was a note on it about the cold weather about to hit us. Thought I would share my route for when the weather with icy and you really can't risk running on the roads/paths.

I drive down and park at the Dolphin pub at the start of the Ribble Way and follow the route to Penwortham Bridge (6 miles) turn and run back. The route is either on dirt track or moss paths, and when it is frozen is pretty good under foot. If you are in Preston there is plenty of parking on Broadgate so it is easy to do the other way round. It is a great route and you usually only have birds and sheep for company. I have avoid so far this year as it will have been a bit boggy teh last few weeks!!!

• Sorry that is 6 miles there and another 6 back for a good old 12 miles!

• I keep on canal when its bad.planning 14 mole canal run tomorrow morning.nice and flat and noone abt in mornings.me my music and

the ducks.
  • I keep on canal when its bad.planning 14 mole canal run tomorrow morning.nice and flat and noone abt in mornings.me my music and

the ducks.
  • Another 13 mile run planned for tomorrow.whos doing manchester marathon on here?
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Another lancashire lad here. Burnley parkrun is a lot tougher than it looks. 3 times up the avenue takes its toll.
  • I'll second thart Mattl! guessing you're another East Lancashire runner.

Enjoyed the delights of Langdale 10k, Ribble valley 10k, Burnley parkrun on Saturday and Inskip Half on Sunday. All part of the plan leasing up to Boston in April.  Looking forward to Standish Hall Trail and the Stan Bradshaw round on beautiful Pendle.

Nice to have a little corner that is forever Lancashire on the forum!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    I sure am. Got a PB at ribble valley and hoping to do the Grand Prix this year. Roll on hendon brook.image
  • I managed all 15 grand prix races last year but won't be attempting that again! Unfortunately I'll miss Hendon Brook this year but good luck with that one!

• Nicola Nuttall wrote (see)

Looking forward to Standish Hall Trail and the Stan Bradshaw round on beautiful Pendle. 

Hi Nicola, I was just wondering if you'd done Standish Hall trail before? It is very local to me and I'm thinking of doing it, but am a bit nervous as I've never done a trail race before (although I do run around the local trails quite a bit)  Looking at last  years results I would definitely be in the slower end of the race (my 10k PB is 60mins6secs), but I'm tempted because it's so close

• Double half header of Central Lancs (Catforth) and Inskip now done and dusted. Really got to big it up for these events. Both are well organised and flat courses on good country roads. I have done the Inskip event both years it has been run and the organiser took on board all feedback from the first year and for £14 this year you got good parking, plenty of toilets, 2 water stations, very flat course, a hat, huge bar of chocolate and hot pot with crust and red cabbage! Will aim to do both again next year as it is a great way to make sure I get the winter miles in.

Next up for me is the Muddy Bottom 17 mile in March and gearing up for my A race which is Fleetwood 10 miles in April. Happy running.

• penguingirl wrote (see)

Hi Nicola, I was just wondering if you'd done Standish Hall trail before? It is very local to me and I'm thinking of doing it, but am a bit nervous as I've never done a trail race before (although I do run around the local trails quite a bit)  Looking at last  years results I would definitely be in the slower end of the race (my 10k PB is 60mins6secs), but I'm tempted because it's so close

Hi Penguin girl, I haven't done it before either but I used to live very close to the start so I'm looking forward to exploring it. My sister is also running it for the first time and her 10k PB is the same as yours so I'm sure we'll all be fine, See you in the Almond Brook for a drink afterwards!

• Not long now till my first trail race,Lakeland trail cartmel 18k. Anyone else doing this one? Went for another run today whilst working here in Pittsburgh. Been -11 for last three or four days so bloody cold. Gave the mix masters a good work out running in fresh fallen snow, foot deep, uphill and it was awesome fun. Hard work in the snow and cold but good training for cartmel. Despite the conditions still managed 7 mile in just under an hour so happy with my little sell despite needing a dunkin doughnuts to warm up !!! My escuse and I'm sticking to it !!!!!!!
  • Just done 13 mile around blackburn and back into oswaldtwistle.1hr50mins.bit down about time.anyway i think im all ready for blackpool half marathon end of feb.lets hope this snows last.