Asics Watford Half Marathon

Anyone done this before/thinking of doing it?

Comments

• I do it most years even though it is Watford (Sorry Luton Supporter).

Good event, well organised and always a fairly big field. Starts in Cassiobury park i nthe centre but heads out into the countryside and is largely a rural run.

Not an easy course it is somewhat hilly in places but I would recommend it.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree with BtB. Watford is hilly but very well organised and you get a t-shirt. Have done it a few times and will do so again. If you ask nicely I might tell you where the lesser queued toilets are!
  • My 1st half this year and agree with comments above. But there is a b*stard of a hill at mile 9 if memory serves me correctly, its only short but very steep.
  • where does the course go then? Towards Croxley/Ricky, or Garston? And where are the hills?! Can't believe it would go as far as Scots Hill, which is the only one I can think of. Certainly wouldn't want to run up that!

Womble, are you doing it this Feb? If so, we may meet again!
  • boing

found the course map, got v confused, thought Sarratt was further away!

TL - thanks for the warning. That's a horrible place to put a hill...

Sent off my entry form this morning...

anyone else doing it?
  • i did this as my first ever half, and managed just over the 2 hrs. would love to do it again next year. i didnt think the hill was that bad. quite a big field, which means always someone to run with/race
  • Did it for the first time last year as part of FLM build up (and is still my PB). A couple of hills I recall, but well organised and will be there again next year.

Womble, I'll give you the day off litter collecting if you tell me where those facilities are!!
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Snail,

Watford is definitively a half marathon to do. It is undulating on the first half but still a great (the best) half marathon. And it is on my do it every time again list.

And this time it will be our club championship half marathon, so enter it and don't forget wear your sepie vest.
  • Snail, i am thinking of doing it.

Dr Galah, what a beauty you are!
  • Just entered Reading but I think I might do this too. am hoping for a sub 2 half mara next year which I'll really have to work at!
  • Lars - didn't realise it was a club championship. Doh! Presumably, though, the speed I run, Serpies would rather my result WASN'T counted? I think I'd be a negative.

I have to buy a serpie vest first! Have been too embarrassed to do so yet, thought I was too slow to wear club kit! I do believe that I was officially the Slowest Serpie in Amsterdam.
  • Did this event this year( 2003)and was impressed with the course. Yes there is a steep hill at 9 miles along with a few others. A very pleasent scenic route. Can get a bit congested in places ( to leave the park you go down a narrow pathway). Well organised with pleanty of offical ( and unoffical) drinking stations ( those don't open till midday on Sunday). My advice to any one thinking of doing this event is to make sure you include some hill work in your training as you will need it on the day. As for me I can't do it this year. Doing the Tough Guy on the same day, but if I chicken out of that then I will see if I can get a starting place in Watford.
  • Snail, I am in. Sent my entry form off this morning.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Yes, Snail, I'll be there. Dr Galah, speak to me nearer the time about the loos!
  • Snail, are you local to Watford then?
  • Does anyone know the nearest BR station to the start?
  • Watford junction is about 1/2 a mile away but the tube is only a few 100 metres away.
  • Cheers for that pizza man i'll enter today.
  • not for many years pizza man!

grew up in Chorleywood...
  • .......... Small world! I grew up in Ricky and live in Chorleywood now.
  • Pizza Man,
    Small world......Just saw this thread. I almost bought a house in Brushwood Drive but the seller pulled out on me at the last minute.Then I just missed a house in Quickley lane and I am now hoping to buy in Carpenters Wood Drive, so hopefully I will be living in Chorleywood soon. The Chess valley looks a great place to run.
    I will be runnung the Watford Half next year.
    Are you running the Ricky 9 on Sunday[if you have never run it, it is a good race going out along Dog Kennel lane].
  • Hi Pete, neighbour.
    I'm in Whitelands Ave and run the Peppermill Restaurant in the high st.
    Chess valley is a great place to run with so many footpaths and trails I live not too far from the footpath to Whitelands woods so it's a great run for me pretty much all off road.
    Are you member of a running club? If not look me up and I'll intoduce you to Chiltern Harriers in Chesham.
    Best of luck with the house.
  • Pizza Man,
    I,m already in a running club over in Hatch End. It's a small club called Metros, you may have seen a few of us out and about at local races. A couple of weeks ago I ran one of Chiltern Harriers races, the Amersham 5 [what a hill] and I may well be running Herberts hole.
    If your about on the course tomorrow,it would be good to meet you, I will have a yellow Metros top and running no.227.

Regards, Peter.
  • Another local. I live very near to where the Ricky 9 started. Done Watford the last two years. Great race! Did 1:36 last year. GOT to do better this year.
  • Just sent off my entry and hoping to get a place. Bit nervous cos I'll need to get some hill training in by the sound of it.

Do you get much support out on the course? Some of those roads are a bit long and rural!
  • Hey Chorleywood people. Don't forget the run down old shire lane to Newlands park across to J17, along the aquadrome and back along the chess.

Great run (and if you fancy it a few reps up north hill)
  • Hey Pizza - missed you at Amersham (yes it is a hill). Looks like I am going to do Bishops Stortford 10 this weekend rather than Heberts Hole. Herberts was a swine last time I did it. Very hilly and Muddy.

Did you do Watford last weekend. I did but found it tough due to having been to a fortieth birthday party the night before !

This run is good. Not entered yet but will do. Actually Snicks 1:38 is a good time because I think this is a toughish course
  • Neil.
    As you can probably gather the course is mainly rural and doesn't lend itself for ease of access for supporters. Most of the support comes at the start and the finish, however the course passes a few pubs so expect a few cheers and raised glasses as run past. Hope this helps.
  • Neil - I ran this last year for the first time and its still my PB (that was with doing Silverstone a few weeks later which is completely flat!).

I think there were 3 challenging hills in total, but then coming back down them was good too!
  • although this is a course with a couple of hills, they seem to even themselves out with the down bits being equally as long. The large field also made it easier. i managed 2.02.5 and my pb since then is only 1.55 on a very flat course, so i think that this is a good all round course.

sim