Bournemouth Marathon 2013

12346»

Comments

• I ran the full today will not be running ever again as we came close to the finish tunnel to be sent back over 4miles or so to only come back and run through the finish tunnel and out for the next 6-7miles and to get a large t-shirt when it stated small on my race number image(

• Event done, bit of sunburn, but very good considering it was the 1st Bournemouth marathon. Seemed like the locals got behind it and give it some support. Potentially a quickish course if not for the weather. Hats off to the guy that did the 5km, 10km, half and full marathon, some achievement. Results are up on the website image Well done everyone.

• Found the top 10 from each race here.

Tempted to do the 5K next year, I could probably make it into the top 5. Guess it's meant to be more of a fun run.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Despite stories of doom from other events organised by these people, I thought it was well organised. Not sure about the route - wiggling all over and doubling back. Was good for seeing fellow club runners but... Don't know about it being a quickish course, there were three nasty hills with the nastiest at 18 when you can really do without it. Good medal and t-shirt, would have liked more food in the goody bag though! Marshals were great and plenty of them. Water seemed plentiful. I took my own drink in my camelbak as I don't do gels (and why did they wait until 18 before giving them out - too late surely?). Baggage people lovely! Excellent support on the course probably helped by the weather.

A good day out, a touch expensive and an age graded pb image

• Yep got a lovely sun tan/burn vest on the go now! Pefect weather really. My only negative was the lack of water station over the last 4 miles. One not enough. Was helped by the local shanding our water and oranges though, was much appreciated.

I didnt mind the doubling back personally. If its means you run along the front more rather than heading onto the town it gets my vote. Also means you get to see your fellow club runners and cheer eachother on.

1st and probably last marathon in 3.29.42. Couldnt be happier.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Yes, I thought there was supposed to be an 'energy station' at 24 and even half looked out for it and did think I must have missed it.

• Had a great weekend in Bournemouth arrived on Saturday supported the 10k and 5k ran the half then supported the marathon runners at the 18 mile point.

Helped by great weather but great organisation our hotel was near the finish so got a taxi between 4 to the start cheap as chips...

I thought the whole weekend was great fun.

• I enjoyed the course especially being able to cheer other runners on as the course cut back on its self. didn't enjoy the last down hill section at mile 20 though. Well organised and well supported, good fun all round. Only improvement would be to make it £20 cheaper.

• Yep, really enjoyed this. Bournemouth is a stunning venue, good atmosphere, good organisation, plenty of water/gels in conditions that will never be hotter and a good course.

Great job Bournemouth Marathon organisers! 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was a very well organised event in the end.

I was tempted to sign up when I saw there was an early bird offer, then I saw that you save a whole 2 pounds! When you add on the card fees that's 50 quid.

They nearly won me over but not quite.
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭

I've submitted a question through their website asking why it's not possible to interrogate the results as is usual eg how did my club mates do? What do they have to lose especially as yesterday it was possible to look up anyone's result by name or number and today not.

• Ha yes I was quite pleased that I came 32nd in my category however it there were only 32 in the category then not such a good day image

• Bit biased as I only had a 5 minute walk to the start but thought it was well organised. Admin could have been better on the run up as no proper route map printed so not sure where to run! Bit pricey for all races,  but signed up for Brighton Marathon next year and thats even more expensive! Good crowds and very well supported!

• Quite a bit of grumble early on about this event. For a first off, thought it was pretty smooth. Start was plain sailing, route wasn't to thrilling till it hit the coast, pretty pelasant thereafter. Felt very much like a first time event, support was sterling at the end. No real organisational blips. Far eclipsed Edinburgh in my estimation, which wouldn't be hard as I thought it was poor.

That said, probably wouldn't go back for a few years, think it needs to find it's identity and support base.

• it was my first real big running event at half it was well run maybe a few updates and other things could be improved. we where lucky with the weather the price is little high but it seems its about the same with a lot of others events i guess someone got to make their money some how. im going to do the full marathon next year. i came 109th out of the 2857 time of 1hr 35 mins 07 secs well happy even if i had to stop for a pee at 10k lol it helped i flew then for the next 10k. great to see lots of great photos seen lots of me so far. i got cambridge half next year with silverstone on the list hopeing to do the britghton full if i can find a charity as i missed out on london. see you next year bournemouth    

• Results are on the RunBritain website.

For some reason they seem to be chopped off after 1250 finishers.

• Hi everyone. I ran on Sunday. The marshal support and crowd were terrific. Not very impressed with the route. I expected to see a bit more of the town but it was just sea front which  is ok but the switching backwards and forwards was tiresome. The start was very congested. As was the the promenade. My wife tried to get to see me in Poole but there was traffic chaos. No water in the last 5 miles. 

We were lucky with the weather. 

The lack of communication from the organisers was poor. They ran out of small tshirts I now have a large which is no use.

I wouldn't do it again it's not worth the £50 I paid. 

Nor would I recommend a future race to anyone aiming for a time it will be a very big race one day. It reminded me of a giant version of Race For Life. I don't know if that is a bad thing or not?

oh well. I will go off road next time for my 10th marathon  maybe Dartmore Vale

• I ran in the HM and the weather was amazing which helped. The start of the race had a really good atmosphere. First HM I've ever raced and I enjoyed the experience, however, I appreciate there are probably better HM courses to run. Still great to have this event taking place in my hometown.

I'm going to run the 10k in the BMF next year and the Bournemouth Bay HM in March.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Fridgeraider: those are all the reasons I  transferred my number; I should have waited until the course was released before signing up but they did take a long time. Can you imagine the carnage down there with a South Westerly 6 blowing and a load of charity runners. It could easily have happened in October.

• It was a great event, weather was warm and hardly a breeze to be had. Very well organised, and the start and finish areas ran like clockwork.

Thought Bournemouth and the supporters of the event made us very welcome, going to do it again next year with an event on both days.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The race is featured in the Bournemouth Echo again today as they are refusing to publish full race results due to "data protection"
  • Go to the photographer's website and enter the surname of the person you're interested in. It'll tell you their finish time.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I was just interested in the total number of runners not particular people and also the spread of times etc.

seems a bit odd that they can't do that when 99.9% of other races can.
  • I wonder if failing to publish the full results is a breach of the event's UKA License...

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

Maybe they didn't have as many starters as quoted. Are there any photos of the start?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    The field for the half didn't look particularly strong. My PB from Wokingham where I was just outside the top 200 would have nearly got me into the top ten at Bournemouth. Supposedly similar sized fields.