Halstead marathon

Comments

• and by right things, DS2 means right energy systems...image

• That makes sense image.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

You're right, DS2 - I think I've been so hung up on the concept of "more=better" in terms of mileage that I neglected to note that in fact the overall quality of my training in 2010 was better than it was this year.  Now I know that, I can make some changes - and try to run a bit slower on most days of the week!  I might even go back to 4x a week instead of 5 (my husband would probably be happier too!)

I don't actually think that it did any harm to run the long runs a bit quicker on that schedule.  My running form is better when I run faster and because I was only running on 4 days and the training was well spread out over the week, I got away with it and still felt fresh enough for the tempo session.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minks - my running form is much better as well when I run faster. Also, last year I started feeling really sluggish running my LSR's too slow (for me). I think training 5-6 days was wearing me out and I was struggling to run any runs fast even though before embarking on P&D I was already doing 18 milers at sub 8mm.

In the end, for the final 7 or 8 weeks I dropped the mileage and enjoyed it a bit more. I don't think speeding up a bit did me any harm. This summer I'm going to be fresh for my key sessions and the filling days can be very slow (maybe 9mm).

Therefore, my week may look like this:

Monday - rest

Tuesday - 9 miles with 5 at Tempo pace (7mm)

Wednesday - 6 miles recovery (9mm)

Thursday - intervals including 4 x 1 mile at 6:30mm

Friday - 6 mile recovery (9mm)

Saturday - rest or 5 miles recovery

Sunday - LSR - 16-18 with 6-10 @MP

Perhaps you could do something similar but without a couple of the recovery days,

What do you think?

• Minks wrote (see)

Need to check this year's schedule now to see the relative paces of this year's runs but this already confirms that much of my training this year was done too fast.

Ermmmmmmm, I suspect this probably applies to me too image

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

That's pretty much along the lines I was thinking of, DS2 - thanks for that image  I think I'm going to go back to 4 runs a week for a while and see how I feel on that.  I know 5 runs isn't much in reality, but it's the way I have to structure things to work them in around our other constraints that's the problem.  For me, running on four consecutive days just isn't productive, especially when the first of those days is the Sunday long run.  So I'll ditch the Monday recovery session (especially as I rarely ran it slowly enough to be of benefit anyway) and have a rest day instead.

So looking at your plan above, I'll do something similar but take out the Wednesday session.  Liking the idea of the long run with some MP miles - that would be a really beneficial session I think.  I'll probably do 14-16 and not push it up to 18 for the moment, and will probably have to do some 10-12s on Sundays or I'll never get to run with my running buddies who don't usually do more than that.

Did my first post-Halstead run last night.  Calves tightened up mid-run and still feel a bit stiff now, but otherwise OK.  Averaged 8:22 but was struggling to keep the pace down.  I am really going to find slower running a challenge I think, especially when I'm so used to running faster.  Then again, maybe by restructing my week I can still do faster sessions but just recover from them better by having more rest days.

• Congrats on your first run back Minks- shame about tight calves but I guess that's to be expected.  No run for me yet though I think I will this evening.  I did manage a 40 minute bike ride and at halfway had finally managed to clip both feet into the clipless pedals... Having done it once with both, the difficulty getting in and out vanished and I feel fine with them now- looking forward to 40 miles tomorrow image

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

Actually, thinking about it, I'd be more keen to try to sort out doing my recovery runs at the right pace than ditching them altogether.  So will aim for 5 runs per week still, but not get too stressed when I can only manage 4.  It's all a bit up in the air with hubby's rowing at the moment - if he changes to a different squad his days will change which will mean rejuggling all my running days - but until things do actually change I think I'll try to continue on as I've been doing.

Well done Angela on conquering the clipless pedals - they sound a bit scary!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That sounds about right Minks. I think the thing to avoid is getting stale. Running four consecutive days at a similar pace is not good practise in my book so I try to run only three hardish runs a week whatever. if I'm tired I cut it down to two of three. These runs are the long Slow run, the tempo run and the interval or fartlek session.

Angela - well done on the cleats. You are obviously more of a natural than me. I fell off a couple of times when stopping at first!

I will probably alternate Sundays with LSR and a long bike ride of 50-80 miles once I get back familiar with the bike. I will probably commute to my office twice a week as well which is a 35 mile round trip. Hopefully, I will ride a total of 5-7 times totalling 150-200 miles and, also, run 4 totalling 35-40 miles per week. That should get me fit!

Two runs completed since Sunday for me. Did 5 miles at 7:57mm - way too fast but I felt so easy. Today was far easier than Wednesday. P&D have a great post marathon recovery plan over 4 weeks or so. I'm just following that - but too fast, obviously!!!!image

• Thanks DS2!! No run for me, alas.  Today we went to a thanksgiving in southwark cathedral.  My dad passed away just over a year ago and he donated his body to the London anatomy school.  There was a service ttoday for all who donated in the last year.  It was amazing! Over 300 people in the last year. Still looking forward to the bike ride tomorrow, despite plenty of wine and cheese I've just consumed!!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Oh wow Angela. i'm very sorry to hear about your Dad. It must have been a very emotional day and I imagine you felt great pride today.

glad you had plenty of cheese and wine- enjoy the ride tomorrow!

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

That's an incredible and worthwhile thing for your dad to have done, Angela.  Sorry to hear you lost him so recently.  Mine passed away when I was 18 so I know how hard it is to lose a parent - at any age.  Enjoy the ride tomorrow.

My dad always watched the London Marathon every year and it was one event he really enjoyed.  It sounds a bit weird, but there was a point during my first London when I felt myself flagging a little.  It was then that I swear that I felt a hand on my back, pushing me forward.  I believe it was my dad, there with me that day (and I am really not one to believe in any of that stuff).

DS2, slow down!  Your next marathon isn't until October - take it easy.  You can afford to run slow for a couple of weeks.  I am hoping I am learning my lesson about the pitfalls of too hard running!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minks - you're so right about slowing down. Today felt strangely easy but I need to be careful. Might have a ride tomorrow.

As you say, losing a parent is tough anytime but very sad to be so young. I'm sure he was there pushing you onimage

• Thanks Ds2 and Minks, yes we do feel very proud- he was always a scientist first and looked upon his illness in quite a philosophical way.  I was quite surprised by quite how many people do this, even in a big city like London! 

Minks, I know I really struggled with losing him at 25, but I am always grateful ThT it wasn't sooner, so sorry for you.  Was ur dad a runner? ORa happy spectator?  My dad loved to walk and when I'm doing my long runs I often trot Around some of those trails and footpaths we used to wander on together image. after my first London when I was struggling to walk, dad held me up and made a comment about how young and healthy it made him feel, having to support me despite his illness.  I was quite apprehensive about today, but actually it was really nice to give thanks and remember him when the emotions weren't quite so raw!

• Hi eveyone got my appointment for 12th july image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

That's not too bad Jason. Just don't overdo it until you have the all clear! Now where did I put that Vaseline??image

• Yeah thats all i keep getting at the moment. Done such a good Hard session on wednesday, most reps below 7m/m pace and got told to slow down image.

Vaseline?? that sounds painful.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I was referring to some strange bloke offering me Vaseline at Halstead!!!

• Haha, that's an awesom photo Jason!

i got a Parkrun pb today and first woman in my age category image. Then went for a 38 mile bike ride, mainly in Suffolk.  Absolutely beautiful.. A tad sore now though image

• Well done Angela on the P.B image 

Not so good about the ride though image

Well I'm up early this morning partly from the noisey neighbours and part pooch needing toilet image

But all good news for me as last night was our running clubs championship dinner, bear in mind I've been part of the club now for coming up to 7 months.......I got an award for coming 3rd in XC this season image well happy.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Well done Angela on the PB less than a week after running a marathon - impressive stuff! Also, that's a solid ride. Nice going. You deserve to be a little sore!

Jason - congrats on the award. That's excellent news. Life isn't all about marathons.

Eldest daughter is 17 today! Had her first driving lesson. God, I feel old! Just ran a progressive 6 hilly miles at 7:21 average. Legs feel incredible. Was meant to be recovery run but lovely warm day on the downs and I felt so good I couldn't resist. Out to dinner this afternoon but hoping to get back early enough to get out for an hour on the bike.

• Thanks guys I didn't put in the caveat that it was a parkrun pb- was 18s slower than my 5k pb but I reckon when I'm fully recovered that is easily smashed even though the park is a bit hilly image

happy birthday mini ds2

its a lovely day to be out on the bike- I ha planned a 5 mile recovery run today, but rather tempting to ride instead, though something tells me saddle sore will put an end to that idea, that and I need to clean the gears and chain from yesterday...

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭

That's rather speedy for one week post-marathon, DS2!  Just be careful not to get carried away on every run.  That's happened to me in the past - I've flown for a few weeks post-marathon then get to the point where I just can't sustain the speed.  You need to keep a few slower runs in there too - but I understand the need to reaffirm what you can do on your oldest child's 17th birthday!

Well done on the Parkrun PB Angela, excellent going.  A lovely day to be outside yesterday.  I did 10 undulating miles at 8:33 average pace and really enjoyed it.  Better still, my legs didn't even feel as though they'd been for a run afterwards.  It was nice to slow down and take in my surroundings for a change too.  I've run yesterday's route a few times at speed and didn't realise until yesterday that it goes past a pig farm - all the pigs were out rolling in the mud!

Well done on your award, Jason, you must have been chuffed.  Loving the photo - I think there might be a caption competition in there somewhere ...!

• Nice recovery Minks!  I think I've overdone it on Saturday!  When I went for my run on Sunday it was like running thru treacle, and my heart rate was very high for such a slow pace for me.  I felt a bit fevery when I went to bed last night and now have a sore throat and slightly swollen glands, so I think that explains it.  I'll have another easy week before my races at the weekend.  Hopefully I'll be all better then!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Minks - 10 undulating miles is good only a week after a marathon!

I was a bit more sensible this morning and did 5 miles nice and easy at 8:13mm average. It actually felt like a jog.

• So, how is everybody's post marathon recovery going?  I haven't run since Sunday image Had a cold....

But I have a 10k to look forward to on Monday- decided I probably wont bother with the Westminster mile on Sunday given how I've been feeling and the faff it will be to get there...

• Hi angela, cant report on post marathon image. hope the cold didnt bother too much image.

been training hard for the last week.

Tuesday 4 miles easy

Wednesday 6 miles with 4 miles consisting of 4 & 800m splits with 200 recovery (very good tempo session, sub 7m/m average)

tonight easy 4/5 with a friend, might add some miles race pace in there but see how i feel after work image

Saturday 5 miles steady with strides in between image

looking forward to HBO on monday now sub 40 here i come image 

• Haha Jason, you're telling me you don't need to recover from being 'that weirdo holding out vaseline'???image 

• im still waiting to get a good talking to by some poor ladies husband on monday.

"you offer my wife vaseline did you?"   erm.....