Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• OC - I might be in the pub! I may have dinner.

going for bravado over training.

• I've got plenty spare salt tabs if you need them Razor

• Cheers Matt see you later

• Monaco all the way Darkness.

K9 - swim in your bike shorts, they'll dry quickly enough and you'll save time not having to wriggle in to them whilst wet. You can add chamois cream in T2.

Stay off your feet and in the shade today and hydrate well.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I will have salt caps with me so feel me to ask if you see me.

• Darkness wrote (see)

I will have salt caps with me so feel me to ask if you see me.

• Oooooops please ask me, no feeling involved! image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Good luck today everybody. It's a beautiful day. image

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

11:28:50 today.  Very very happy.

thanks for all the help and advice on this thread (and humour) 

hope you all coped with the heat !!!

• Dont think I met you yesterday but tough break EP. It is especially hard not to finish your first. You are definitely not the only person who has had that experience, it is no fun. Dont give yourself a hard time. Recover well

• EP it was really tough out there - many people did it really hard and that was just out on the bike let alone on the run.  I second Mellifera's 'don't give yourself a hard time'.  

(((((Hugs))))) 

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

(((Hugs))) EP

I was in same position as you, got pulled just before Southern Loop and Alibear was pulled in front of me.

Anyone know who was the pirate girl / lady I swam with right and back and just made cut off, said thanks to me as we got out? 

• Commiserations to all those that didn't crack it take some time out do not beat yourself up not many peeps could do a 2.3 mile swim and back that up with 60 miles of cycling be honest with where you went wrong address that in your training and you will cane it next yearimage

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

I was just too slow. Fink was 317hrs training and I did 294 so really don't think I can knock myself there. I turned up knowing I had done everything I could do but on the day i just fell  short by 10 lousy minutes. But can't blame them in that heat they couldn't take risks.

simple thing is I need to be faster I was pleased with my swim and fine on the bike just not quite quick enough.

I did chanel the Captain I've never met as I had my own personal kayak guide on the first half of the swim yelling left! Left! Made me smile. Pleased with the swim inside the cut and the bike felt good just on the day my speed was too slow.

Bit sad I haven't earnt my pirate colours yet but I'll be back but think perhaps shorter and faster needs doing first for me. I knew going in that not everyone finishers and couch to ironman in a year is a challenge that I just couldn't meet. So I think next is plan b couch to ironman in 3 years.

I will be back and I will earn my colours.

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

OK now I'm miffed including the fact that I sat up and peddled back easy I averaged 13.5 mph for 78.5 miles. So close yet so far! 

Anyone up for a long term mentoree (sp?) Current possible plains the half again next year and the full in 2015 either outlaw or wherever ship sails then.

also is it weird that I really don't want to loose the fitness I have now but no idea how to keep it

Seriously well done to all finishers I'm glad I went back and cheered in the final ones home. Seeing Cake and Sid and all the others come home was fantastic. Also  a big thank you to the pirate relay lady who commiserated with me in the finishers hall and the rest if the crew on the feed station really sorry I didn't get to you a second time. 

Ps Sorry I'm winging now I shall go away and HTFU

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

well done AliBear for what it's worth I thought you looked strong on the bike, pedalling easy and relaxed.

Great attitude, how are the family with plans?

oh and really sorry but did you feel as much as a fraud as I did riding back those last few miles with people cheeringimage

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Oh yes TJ that's was excruciating didn't want to tell the other competitors and spoil their joy at being nearly finished nor spoil the spectators fun and everyone was having such a wonderful time. Stil oddly enjoyed the BMX track that's the last mile though glad I got to do that bit. 

But yep total fraud! 

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

feel for you but glad it wasnt just me feeling like that.

that last stretch has given me my motivation to be in that position for real next year.

went and got showered after and stood by grandstand seeing all the fantastic support, just made me well up. so met up with family in the end and went to the pub for some food.

left them after as they could see i needed some space and went back and had another watch, welled up again so went back to tent and listened to announcer then fell asleep.

as EP said a fantastic bitter sweet day and one that I will definately be back for.

wife not too bothered about failure, but knows I am doing it again, but got a fantastic text from my sister having dragged her and others to Nottingham to support me, telling me how proud she is of her big brother and that she will be there next year to see me finishimage

• at least you can all put the Fink books down, you can burn them now, if you havent learned how to formulate and adapt a training plan after 30 weeks of following one theres not a lot of hope image 

congrats to all that got their first long distance finish and commiseration to those that didnt. For those that got timed out you should now see how important it is that chasing cut offs and training to just beat the cut offs is a dangerous game. anything can happen on race day and on sunday we had a scorcher, this however would not have made a massive difference to your swim or bike split - just IMO, i found the bike hot but the lack of wind compared to last year made it an easier ride, i believe it was the run that killed many off so if you didnt make the bike split you would have found it even harder to run in those conditions -  theres always next year or another race. recover well and despite the soaring temps its still better than pissing it down image

• As above know it was going to be a problem this weekend and got very very lucky for those that won't ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Sunday was the hottest race I've ever done (checked) it was not easy and wouldn't have been even under perfect weather. 

If any use and hope this works?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1006252_10151710286170901_192134171_n.png

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I'm in aww of those that finished whilst still being a little tiny bit peeved at being pulled.

It was one of the worse and best days of my life.

Loved being there to support right to the end whilst spending a lot of the day wanting to cry

Same time next year folks?

Count on it to close to the shire not to turn up but probably as a feed station bod next year I've ran round that f****** lake to many times. Thank you so much for putting up with my swearing sunday and thankyou for the water bottle on the first lap of the run it did save my race. Frankly I was dieing on my arse at that point.

• For the love of God, can somebody tell my body clock to have a word with itself. Fink is dead and I do not need to be awake for my Tuesday morning run!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Morning Stanners. I have run out of clean kit so am currently in a tent in a field feeling very bored. 

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I'm awake too Stanners.

Not slept properly since last Thursday night!

• I have been on and off since 1:30. Paranoid that someone was trying to steal my bike. 

Im sure someone was skulking about the campsite so I kept getting up and checking. 

Back to normality later. It's going to be odd. It's been a great weekend. All I have to look forward to now is interview prep image

• I am always awakeimageimage