Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Broke.i have entered the blaenavon tri to get some hills in........will have to practise my breast stroke so that i can complete the swim though...........have you looked at itimage

• Just a perspective..... following the "Beginner" plan properly and consistently will see you over the line at Outlaw. Don't worry that you need to stay "Intermediate" once the target hours mount up. It's easy to do it now, but Beginner will get you there, and I reckon it'll get 99% of people round Nottingham in less than 15 hours image

• is that most men or most women around under 15 hours,, image

i honestly think us women have to work extra hard to try and fit in all the sessions .. especially the long ones.because in general i think we are naturally an hour or so behind the men............but it can be done if you want it enough and you put the training in,...............and crossing the line is worth all those bike rides and runs in the wind and the rain

• Last training sessions of the year done.

Went out for a 2 hour cycle yesterday which turned into a 3 hour 10 minute afternoon of pain after the weather took a turn for the worse and I got caught cycling 20 miles straight into the pouring rain and headwinds.... 30 minute run today to get my mojo back.

Happy New Year all!
  • Happy new year all image

• Blwyddyn newydd dda..now where are my bike shoesimage

• am i the only one up....WAKEY WAKEY........2 1/2 hours on the bike.it was beautiful out............I hope 2013 has many more days like this

• 4 hours extreme tea drinking DONE!

Well done Seren for getting out...image

• Cooking dinner and using today as a

rest day image happy new year
  • 7 mile bike done first thing this morning and then followed up with a 5 mile run. Feeling really pleased to have managed to do both of those.

I do need to get used to going down hills on the bike at speed though, even if I don't need it for the Outlaw. Kept using the brakes to slow myself down going down one hill, which is fairly straightforward to descend, this morning. No traffic at all while I was going down it, wide bends, but it was still a bit damp so I held back.

• i always brake on hills.i blame my age....as i know i won't bounce as well as when i was young

I'm really keen on having a recce of the outlaw course.but can't make the half weekend......anyone else having a recce

• Good question!

Is the bike and run course fairly flat then?
  • i believe they are the flatish out of all the uk irondistance courses

• definitely worth recce.... if you know the hill then you can find a similar one to practice on

• I probably will try and go up to do a recce one weekend if I can fit it in with all the other races I have 

• I'm also carp on hills Pixie! Will you all be using tri bars and pointy hats?
  • I live on doorstep of outlaw. Did it last year too and the course is pretty much the same. One hill a few slopes but mainly flat. Run is flat as a pancake. When cycling time increases with fink plan i tend to do the loops. For some odd reason I always get lost on the 2nd loop. One day I ended up in lincoln! I have poor navigation lol. I dont have tri bars and wont be wearing a pointy hat either. image
  • H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

Happy new year, what a lovely morning, did 20 something miles on bike then followed it with 1.5 hour run done as a brick, all in the sunshine.

I'm hoping to do a recce weekend sometime, preferably combined with a swim in the lake on the Friday night if i can arrange it.

I seem to be good at climbing hills compared with others at the tri club, still a bit cowardly on the downhills but getting braver / faster.

Ive just fitted tri bars so will be using those but a pointy hat is a step too far at my level.

• got tri bars but recently its been a bit windy so haven't used them.didn't use themlast year much but my race was hillish

• Happy new year all. We move into the year of the event...

Managed to keep with the program for week 5 rest day yesterday and a lovely sunshine 45+ min run this am followed by swim session #4. With all the shit weather recently I wished I was on my bike. Hopefully we will have more days like today in Jan.

Nice family walk down the beach this pm. It was packed down there. Runners and cyclists didnt have a chance. Swimmers would have been fine it was a mill pond albeit only 10.3 degrees. Brrrrr.

• Happy New Year everyone.

I've kicked off with a day of laziness and done nothingimage

Have they sorted the bike course yet. Thought it was changing from last year.

When does open water swimming start? Am I going to get some done before the half in May?

• there are some who are OW swimming already.. brrrrr.  For most it won't be for another 3 or 4 months!

• I would keep running if you can. My plan is to use the HR monitor for training but I didnt intend to use it on race day. I'll just keep going until I can't go any further. Then review strategy.

• 55 min brick session and an hour of weights done. Last of the festive food is almost gone thank god lol.
  • SlokeyJoe wrote (see)
    Good question!

Is the bike and run course fairly flat then?

Run course is pancake flat and on nice, friendly surfaces. Can be an issue if it's a hot sunny day, as it's pretty exposed.

Last year's bike course was very flat other than 1 short, relatively steep hill. There was a strong headwind on h2 of the course though, which screwed with a lot of people. The year before had 3 climbs of that short hill, but you should consider it a flat course image.

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

Oh and I also realised that I have to not think when trying to potter in Z2. I started thinking about Outlaw (read the pack yesterday) and slowly the HR went up. Stopped that and thought about lessons I have to do and again slow increase

So I need to remove my brain when I leave the house.

BTW I was thinking on the day is it OK to ignore the HR in the run and JFDI? I'm just thinking I'll be exhausted by then so will potentially use the HR as an excuse to walk when I could keep pottering on

slowest time last year was 16.48

HRM can be your friend, Pixie, especially since you look like you might be out there for a while, judging from your comments. You could afford to ignore HR for the last few miles, but if you ignore it from step-1 of a 5-hour marathon, you could end up suffering big time.

No thought of run-walk strategies, folks? Best way to maintain a consistent pace and achieve a strong finish unless you're planning to go sub-12 on this course. The majority of former finishers on here use them, I think. I certainly did. 10-1, 9-1 or anything like that will keep you moving.