Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• i am planning on using my heart rate on the day which is why I'm using in it training........and will use it until at least the last lap of the run.if i feel i can pick up the pace then i might think about it........

but using the heart rate on the bike is what i am planning on making sure that i don't let the adrenaline take over and bomb off feeling on top of the world and then overcooking it and giving all kinds of issues on the run

• i did one of those as my one and only long swim for the double last yearimage

• want to get the turbo bike and turbo out for a quick brick session......but its hard to get to it with the other 5 bikes in the roomimage...if I'm not careful today will turn into a rest day

• Happy new year everyone!!

training has been hit and miss (due to the job!) but I am now able to run again after my achilles tear. It was the best christmas pressie ever! I was good and ran xmas eve and christmas day and also newyears eve and  newyears day (10km race) and I even ran to the doctors and back today for my asthma checkimage Now I need to get back on my bike...

•  did it...managed to get the turbo out and did the 30 min turbo ...15 min run.........feeling so pleased to be able to tick it off.i was very close to doing a CBA

• Great news Postie! Always good to see someone coming off the bench. I'm slowly recovering* from plantar fasciitis so understand your frustrations!

Thanks for the bike course info folks. Comes as a relief!

(* "recovering" = got bored with being injured for 12 weeks so decided to just run and ignore the pain for a while to see what happens)
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

Happy new year everyone - good to read what everyone has been doing.

PSC where do you OW swim when it warms up?

• I did the run-walk thing in training when going over 2 hours. Set my garmin to beep every 10 mins, then walked for one minute. This translated ok-ish to Outlaw. Running between feed stations was OK, then walking through them, but there was no real incentive to start running afterwards.

FF got me to count to 100 once we hit the feed stations, then run at 100 paces.

• Pixie many people use perceived effort as an indicator. i.e. what their body is telling them.

My view is that Fink's time/HR logic is a great training guide and gets us away from the distance/speed is everything mentality reducing the risks of illness and injury from over-training.

IMHO as long as you have put the training hours in and tapered down properly, come race day you can put it all out there (within RPE reason) and keep running if your body says you can.

The bigger challenge I have found is hydration/nutrition. If you run out of calories that will slow you down for certain.

• Supposed to have done a brick session on the bike tonight, but just as I was set to leave discovered my rear light as packed in, frigging thing, so 8 mile run instead.

Then into the local pool for a swim, low and behold they have decided that a week off is not enough so the pool is still closed image

EP my pace last year picked up in Z2 from about 8:30-9:00 m/m to about 6:40 - 6:50 m/m, it does get better. 

• Oooooh, I've missed loads!

I've been ill over christmas, jsut proper wiped out, so my plan started this week. Not swum for a while and the pools are closed, start again on Friday.

Nice brisck tonight, 30 min bike and 15 run, not as much as some of you, but I'll pick it up image

Spent chunks of today looking at the racing year, planning things to fit in roughly around the plan, looking at a few sportives, half marathons, maybe a full, diy HIM and so on

• can't believe how lucky we were this christmas with the pool.closed last year for the whole duration.this year only closed for 4 days in total........the 3 bank holidays and one other......

off to swim nowimage

• We're lucky as have gym membership and that was only closed on Xmas day and NY day.

Have Body pump and Spin tonight and come this weekend will staqrt logging my training and getting back onto Finks plan.

Now work calls.

• That reminds me, I need to cancel my gym membership! I've had it too long and never really used it. I'd much prefer to run / cycle outside, or turbo in teh garage. My friend has just equipped his 'shed' with loads of weights too. The gym pool is also a bit pants at 20m, so I generally swim masters elsewhere!

Tempted to put the money saved from the gym to an online coach, would it be worth it?

• 1hour reverse brick session this morning struggling to motivate myself to swim.
  • Ep I have to drag myself to the pool . I really hate it when its crowded. I am much happier in open water.
  • This week is not going well, my new years day was my over indulge day so no training (although a 2 hr XC walk might count for soemthing?) and then last nights club swim was cancelled as the school for got to open the pool for us.

Woke upat 6.30 am but wind was howling and it was chucking it down so skipped that to.

Total training this week = 0

Must do better!

• Hi Guys, new to the forum.

Kicked off the Outlaw training yesterday with a 1500m swim TT.  Day 2 is a rest day.  Which is nice.

Reading the past posts course looks fairly flat with a decent hill in the middle.  How exposed is it to wind?  I live in east anglia so I'm used to the wind, but wind and hills together are an alien concept.image

• for people from hilly areas.they didn't even realise that they had hit the hill.for people from east anglia it was probab;y like Ben nevisimageimage

I have swum and sauna and yoga........so going to try making the flapjacks from the tri 220 magaxine that i was reading between suana time

• 7755matt wrote (see)

That reminds me, I need to cancel my gym membership! I've had it too long and never really used it. I'd much prefer to run / cycle outside, or turbo in teh garage. My friend has just equipped his 'shed' with loads of weights too. The gym pool is also a bit pants at 20m, so I generally swim masters elsewhere!

Tempted to put the money saved from the gym to an online coach, would it be worth it?

I thought that was what the DF book was meant to be. Although it does require self-application. I'm trying to stick with the schedules and use the advice contained around time-management, illness, injury etc.

I guess it depends on what gets you out the door. Put the money saved into physical aero assistance - tri bars; aero wheels; helmet - maybe??

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Personally I enjoy reading up and making adjustments as I feel to my training so don't think I'd be tempted to get an online coach even if money wasn't a consideration.

Swim coaching, now that is something I'd benefit from, think I would spend there if I had some extra cash available.
  • Ok, I'm really struggling with getting my swim sessions in at the moment.

Bike and run are not a problem and I am happy to go out for a training run, jump on the turbo or even get out on the road with the bike when the weather is reasonable enough.

Doing the swim sessions at the moment is just not getting very far. I've been managing to get to the pool on a Sunday morning but its nothing more that a straight swim up and down for an hour. For some reason I just can't get myself motivated to hit the pool in the week when its possible to get a lane to allow me to do drills and swim sets.
    Any tips, suggestions as to how I can get over this would be really helpful.

• i reward myself with a sauna after the swim............can you find something you want and reward yourself afterwards......

• 45 min run done at lunch time, phew I have dome some training in 2013!

Now I just need to do lots more! image

Hagakure the Outlaw hill concerns me for exactly the same reasons and I don't even have a granny ring to help me out. I think I need to learn to turn course profiles into something I can understand.

My sneaky plan was to do the half first, however apparently the cycle routes are different so it's not going to help.  

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭
    Any clubs you could join jvr? I've been getting 2 swims in a week but find the one where I go on my own and swim hard going, I much prefer my other weekly swim session with the tri club, seems to fly past
  • Regarding the Outlaw hill.........

I am assuming it is the same course as last year and the hill is Oxton bank. Honestly, it is nothing to worry about. I am heavy and rubbish at hills and it is neither very steep nor very long.

I dropped down the gears and kept HR happily in Z2. No need for climbing cassettes or granny gears. The  decent is not technical and from memory very enjoyable couple of miles to Sothwell.