Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• AliBear30 wrote (see)

Hagakure the Outlaw hill concerns me for exactly the same reasons and I don't even have a granny ring to help me out. I think I need to learn to turn course profiles into something I can understand.

Please do not worry about this fabled mountain, since 'tis no more than a pimple. Genuinely, it lasts for about 300 metres and there's a feed station at the top. To all intents and purposes, Outlaw is a flat course. Good news!

• Slower in old fashioned language does it even rate a 1 in x type grading/road sign? Those I can just about understand.

• I did Outlaw last year and I am the first to complain when a hill is in sight as they fill me with dread but the Outlaw hill is easy peasy and nothing to worry about at all. image
  •  

Little sister posted thsi last year when the graident was debated. Concludes gradient to be 7.5% for 650m.

• Thanks that sounds survivable image

• Seren are the flapjacks for the ride on Sat? image

• yes..if they are edible.... have you got  a route planned or do you want me to do one.......and how far roughly are we thinking ofimage

• I have no idea of any routes down that way so would prob be better I let you plan the route. I'm easy on the distance. How far have you been doing on your last few long rides?

• just under 40 miles.but i'm esily pleased to go shorter or longerimage

• To be honest I'm not really worried about the bike course.  I did the Vitruvian 2011 and found that okay.  Also coped okay south of France cycling last year. 

Now running 26miles.  That is daunting......

• Well 30min turbo and 1hour of the dreaded swimming done. I too am the same with swimming but just telling myself that it's the new year and life's back to normal so get on with itimage

I also just swim up and down but 2 extra lengths today so that's good

• found a 43 mile route that could be lengthened or shortendedimage

• Hagakure if you've done the Vit, then if you blink, you would miss the hill at Outlaw. It is but a pimpled compared to the 'ripple'.

Slokey Joe I have had Plantafasciitis (nasty)and still managed a marathon, I used a cross trainer for my run sessions and cycled loads for aerobic fitness. I taped up the foot on the day of the marathon and got through it fine.

Sweetfeet if your going to stick to the plans that an on-line coach gives you, then yes it would be money well spent.If your a bit hit and miss with the training, then you would be better paying a coach at the local tri club for one to one sessions.

I have found myimagefitnesspal on I phone apps, how the hell did I live without it?!

• Quick Q? re Fink, I'm going to use the competitive plan for IM Wales & add in a lot of hill work on bike & runs.

I've read the book cover to cover several times & can see no mention of this basic numpty question.

A 30 minute run or ride for example in Z2 is nigh on impossible due to various reasons, so should I do a 30 minute run and try to keep to Z2, walk where I need to or should I do a 40 minute run that has 10 minutes at the beginning in Z3-4 that drops to Z2 for a sustained 30 minutes as I settle into the run?

Cyclings even worse esp as I want to put the climbing in to prepare for Wales.

• 30 mins in Z2 and walk where you need to ... its all about keeping HR down

• JvR - I have done drills during family busy family sessions, I tell myself the congestion is good practice for a mass swim start and sighting.

Yesterday I signed up for a hilly muddy 1/2 mara with Running Postie in Feb, the Swimathon and Snowdonia mara in Oct. Chuffed that there's more than just Outlaw in the diary but hills? We don't have any of those here - I'll have to drive somewhere to train!!!
  • SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

ive been too ill to do anything for so long, im worried ive left it too late.

hoping/planning to get the friday run in tonight. first bit of training since middle of december. the only good news is im carrying  less lard than i was in the middle of december. ( ooh, and new trainers and sports watch )

in dire need of getting back on plan to be safely fit enough to finish outlaw half ( amongst other plans )

• mysore throat yesterday had turned toi manflu today.............i had the same 2 weeks ago..............never normally suffer.........i blame the swimming pools..........hopefully will be fine tomorrow.....didn't hang around long last time

and today is a rest day so good timing

• Swim #5 again for me last night which is the straight 2,500m hit. 44 mins again which was exactly the same as swim #5 first time around (about 2.5 weeks ago I guess). I did stop after one length to briefly chat to some fellow IMA participants and suffered badly with cramp in the last 10 lengths so net slightly faster I think. Hopefully swims #1 to #4 are actually helping with their combinations of drills and sprints.

I think the cramp was partially due to my legs having done that 45 min 100+RPM session on the turbo in the morning. That is not the breeze the book suggested. Banging out that cadence consistently despite a lower gear does take its toll. Or i am doing something wrong.image

• Dragged myself to the pool and did an hour swim.
  • Pixie more than one post on here has said the hill on Outlaw is nothing to worry about. Is that what you are referring to?

With you on chains. My plan is to get mine replaced sometime in the spring and keep the old one to practice on. I carry the tool but I dont know what to do with itimage. It is the mechanical failure I also fear to ruin my day.

Flatpack is a penalty for something you did wrong in a previous life.

• Seren: The leisure centre does have a sauna and steam room that I’ve never used. I have managed to get down for a swim on a Sunday morning. Think I might use going into the sauna on a Sunday morning after swimming as a reward if I manage to do my swims in the week, at least until the long bike rides mean I haven’t got time to get to the pool on a Sunday.

HONK: The local tri club have a swim session on a Thursday evening but my other half goes out that night which means it’s usually the one night of the week that my son and I get to sit down and watch some of the programmes we both enjoy in comfort and not have to sit in the kitchen or upstairs. They do run a coached swim and a sea swim when the weather gets warmer on a Monday and Friday evening which I might be able to get to, especially the sea swim.

Britrisky: It’s been a while since I went a family session at the pool, might have to look at that as an option if I’m still struggling to get the swims in.

• Hey Pixie, vans? Do they have support vans on the course? What will they do for you?
  • Seren - strange that. I went swimming yesterday and had the most amazing cold when I got home. Sneezed and blew my nose all evening and felt like s((t. Took a lemsip and am fine today. Weird.

EP - I was reading the fink book the other day and there are checks one should do every time you get on the bike. Headset being one of them. I haven't got a clue what a headset is. In fact I only ever get on my bike and rideimage

• 1:50 min ride this morning. Did some of the first loop including the hill. Ep is really isn't bad. Remember Wild Boar? That course is probably ten times tougher than outlaw. You will storm it with your special tyres !!