Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Its 12% gradient whatever that means it curves around but is only really steep towarfs the end. You will be fine trust me.
  • I 've not seen one but have heard it will be the same as last year with the exception of doing loop one twice rather than two loops of loop two. Does that make any sense? lol
  • manflu felt better when exercising.............shouldn't really have gone with raised HR but the chance to have a bike ride in company in the dry somewhere different was too good to miss...........maybe racing the park run first of all wasn't too good.............average hr on the run 171.............average HR on the bike 160imageimage...not what fink ordered

thanks to BBT for waiting for me on the hills.......my park run was so much faster than i could have hoped for at this stage of training........and the bike ride was nice and scenic............i believe we were just a couple of miles short of 50...........

i am ready for bed now to recover and try and get my HR back to normal

• PB in the park run this morning - 20:22 (although it was my first one image)

Great ride after with Seren, although a little to warm almost thought it was summer for a minute, and I would recomend Serens flapjacks image

• There are repair vans on the course but bear in mind it's 112 miles , you could be waiting for well over an hour before you even see one !
  • Thanks for that. Here's another newbie question... How do the aid stations on the bike leg work? What do they provide, how do you collect?
  • Hold your hand out and grab, or stop. water, banana, gels etc
  • Approach to the station will have signs saying "throw your empty bottles here" or, if it's the Pirate Station, some vguely amusing abuse. So you slow down a bit, you chuck your empty bottle(s) in the net. Ahead of you will be a line of friendly faces (or Schmunkee and her evil henchmen), holding out full bottles and shouting "High 5.... High 5". Make eye contact with one, give them a clue you're incoming, grab the bottle and push it in your cage. After that you'll have a repeat line shouting "Water... Water". If you drop your bottle, grab another. If you're going slowly enough, you can get two. After the water is another string of helpers holding gels, half bananas and energy bars and shouting to let you know which. Grab what you want, stuff it somewhere, and get yourself moving. There's another opportunity to jettison empties or litter at the end of the station. They also have a little mech station for any fixes you need to do, and some chemi toilets.

They're good as gold, Slokey, as long as some tee-wat doesn't come screaming in like an exocet on his TT bike at 22mph shouting for a refill of their speedfill image.

• Seren....got the OH to make those flapjacks from the 220 mag today, arnt they very moorish ( there goes the waistline again) image
  • 1hr swim done last night followed by bingo today.

Park run new PB then 1hr swim then 1hr turbo this evening.

I'm loving my swim counter got the combo one fir Christmas. I can see how many laps I do and how slowly i do them. Gives me a good boost as I did 4 extra laps today just to get to 70 . image

Knackered now though.
  • New parkrun pb today, great to see SA at AStbury, then out for 30 steady miles with a friends lad, which included Mow Cop twice, once to get there and once right at the end of the home trip. I did manage to avoid Killer Mile though

• Thanks RDC and slower, they sound like great fun. I'll have to rig up some kind of practice with the kids!!

Well done AliBear and Matt on the parkrun PBs. Always nice to see a bit of progress.
  • No worries Slokey. Have a look at getting a tri bag for your bike too. You can fit gels and co2 in. Did 45 min hilly run this morning. Roll on Sunday lunch !
  • its ok to stop but its all wasted time........best not to

• mine only has one bottle as its small...........i personally think on IM  that its nowhere near enough............you will have to think of a way of adding another one...........i have one that goes between my tribars...........there are others that  will fit onto the back of the saddle.........

sort it out now as you will need to use them for the long bike rides

• Well 50miles done and dusted. Quite chuffed as it felt ok. Stopped half way for a quick coffee and flapjack (too cold to stop long) Need to sort my food and hydration out as that was all I had. Alright when you're just going home but not when you have to double that and add a marathonimage

• definitely and you have to practise eating and drinking on the move................i took my flapjacks with me and stupidly forgot when i put them in the bag not to do my normal double knot..............a right pain in the arse to undo when riding on roads........remembered for next week

• pixie.....i would say that learning to eat and drink on the bike is one of the most important things.......find a flat road and just keep on practising until you can be totally confident about it.........then on bike rides keep on doing it even if you have to get jelly tots out one at a time to get the practice...............

you really do not have the time to stop for anything on the bike leg unless you have to go to toilet...........

there just isn't time to be honest

early morning done in zone 1 ..happy to start the week off right

• Has anyone had an information pack for either the half or the full. I've 'heard' a few people mention they've read them.

• SS - They've got them online, I think they're not updated them from when we entered yet.

If you go here

http://www.onestepbeyond.org.uk/the-outlaw-triathlon.php

In red on the right hand side are links to the info pack, swim pack etc.

• last year at Outlaw,I waited to the pirate station for my pee stop, the lovely pirates held my bike and restocked whilst I went to the loo, they were brilliant!!

• Morning all - got back from a few days off in the sun yesterday feeling exceptionally guilty - despite managing to fit in a 10K run and some pool lengths whilst i was away.  quick half hour in the pool this morning done, back to running in the cold tomorrow image

• First rest day I have actually looked forward to since the plan began.

End of week 5 so halfway through BASE phase already. I think I did my bike ride too fast on Satutrday. HRM was broke and I was trying to keep up with a mate who is a much better cyclist so I know I over-exerted. I was actually falling asleep during my 1hr run yesterday.

Highlights the need to stay in the lower zones during this period. I did a couple of sessions last week in higher zones and I'm paying for it.