Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• I'm doing the advanced but even on that the bike on that looks so short........so i'm doing loads more.,.i just can't imagine doing so little bike miles as he suggests and not coming off the bike totally dead.......after missing the bike cut off at IMW I would never ever underestimate a bike section againimage

for get around you should still need a few more rides more than 56 miles.........surely

• I felt the Int. was just right, though I can see that if I was going to go faster I'd need to do some more work.

Don't forget you've got the Chiltern100 too image

• chiltern 100 is on the 2nd june.........so the same weekend as my enduroman half........image....they were 2/3 weeks apart last year

• +1for nurse ratchet's approach, I need to be comfortable on race day and will make up the time rather than slowing down because I'm shuffling like John Wayne on the run!

Still no swimming( pool still shut!) but all sessions done ( all slightly longer than fink) +2 slow run sessions to make up for the swim ones as I have a 30 km race in 4 weeks. Jantastic also done
  • Guys if you are not happy with the amount of biking in the plan. Then bike more. You have to be happy with your training plan and you know what you are capable of better than a generic plan.

My experience was that having a 100 miler in the bank come race day was psychologically important and gave me a clue how long the race day bike leg would take. Other than that have a few 70/80 milers in there and you should have the miles in your legs. It's all about having something left in the energy banks when you get off the bike.

The lurgy has got meimage. Throat/shivers. Man down. Missed yesterday's long run, today is REST day and will have to see what I think I can cope with tomorrow. It's only week 7 no need to panic. Heavy on the meds and see what happens.

• I did 'just fnsih' last year with some extra miles in the long bikes thrown in. That ended up being 1 century and 4 x 80. I would also add in some bigger bricks, short runs offf the bike dont replicate it for me.

Seren, I agree that although Fink talks 'time' he has expectation of a fast pace.

• The lurgy has got me too. Been going down with it for several days but full on now and hurts to breathe. So, it's a rest day and will just have to see how it goes.

I know fink works on time rather than distance but I find, being at the back of the pack that I would come up short on everything so I have bike worked out in miles and runs somewhere inbetween. It does end up being more time of course so as long as I don't feel like I'm going to burn out I think I'll stick to thatimage

• I'm more or less doing Just Finish, but it is a guide rather than being set in stone.  I know I need to do more biking than is in the plan, so that's what I'll do.  
    Have entered this, and will plan a few more 80-ish rides.  

Then all I need to do is work on my running

And my swimming

• REst day after an entire week off with the lurgy, really hoping that I'll feel well enough to start again tomorrow.

• hope you clear soon Ali......

swim done and it was a new PB........seems like getting regular sessions in does improve your swimming

• seren nos wrote (see)

Just been looking at finks just get around plan and notice there is only a couple of bike rides over 4 hours in it....does anyone know if it has ever been done by following that bike pattern........that would only be about half the distance......image....I like his ideas but wonder if he is coming from a fit cyclists point of view ......meaning emphasis on the swim and run

Hi Seren. Just checked my spreadsheet from Outlaw 2011 when I broadly followed Fink's get round plan. Looks like I bottled following the plan and went longer on the "long" rides. 7 rides longer than 4 hours.... mostly 5-hour jobs, but one 7-hour biggie on which I "practised" my bonk skills. I think it would be an uncomfortable race day without training beyond 70 miles minimum.

Somebody asked "what to wear under my wettie", I'd advise minimal mucking about, unless the weather is VERY cold and wet. Tri kit's designed for the job. Having complicated kit plans for T1 and T2 does not just add time.... it adds complication, risk and stress, which you can well do without if you're doing your first IM and worried about cut-off times and such like. Honestly... just worrying about a race belt, sunglasses and a hat can be enough when you're stressed. Do yourself a favour if you're new to the distance... get dressed in a single race kit for the weather, put your swim stuff over the top, race. One less thing to worry about image.

• thats what i thought slower re Fink..........I didn't want any newbies following fink to the letter and then finding that it didn't get them enough bike practice for the day............

If no one has successfully done it then i would recommend that they all think about doing more on the bike than he says.........

The majority of people who fail in ironman fail on the bikeimage

• sounds like good advice seren and STIL. am going to have a look at my plan for later in the year and see if i can 'up' some of the bike times - maybe even do a couple of 100 mile sportives as practice

• Swim #18 and 30 min run done this afternoon.  And a big pot of lentil soup made beforehand so it was all ready to come home to.

• SgtLardSgtLard ✭✭✭

loving my rest day. and the kids made cake..... image

• Seren do you reckon the intermediate plan has sufficient cycling hours? I have registered for a few sportives over 70 and one century in the Cairngorms. I just wonder if that's enough...
  • Loads of cross training ...clearing snow off the drive
  • Les Boules ... consistency is the key and consistency of hours rather than mileage

I would be happy with a lot of 5-6hr bikes rather than 1 x 100 if that makes sense, get used to being in the saddle for a length of time if you are likely to be on the bike or 7hrs plus

• thats what i was thinking for all levels.lots of 5-6 hrs rides.maybe a 100 or two sportives to give you the confidence and help with nutrition...

just fink only had the majority of rides under 4 hrs

• The 100's are only needed from a mental point of view IMO .. to get in to that magic 3 digits

• Thanks M...eldy, that's v helpful. I'm going to stick to the intermediate cycle plan as much as I can as it progresses up to 5.5 hour rides (but one will be a 6hr + with the century ride, and you're right, that's more psychological than anything).

I most fear overtraining, as I've done it so many times before for marathons and my only half IM, that I fecked myself up pretty badly. I will try and trust in the Fink plan. I suppose he wouldn't have published if his plan wasn't successful..

• Was just kindly informed by my colleague that he guessed today was my rest day, as I didn't have frizzy hair, an unkempt appearance and red swim goggle impressions around my eyes all day. Charming image

• Most definitely .. and especially in the early days I would keep to the structure of the plan, fit in the sessions in the time given if you can and dont feel pressured to do the sessions if they take you over the time
    Once you are further down the line and into the training then you may find what your levels are and can start to build on bike hours ... its usually bike hours that fall short of requirement and swim hours that go over

Trust in the plan and listen to your body

• Huge thanks. This is such helpful stuff for someone who has a tendency to panic over-train image

• Remember back to marathon plans .. they didnt jump in with 3 hours at marathon pace   image

I read somewhere recently that these base hours 'are not training, its exercise' and I think that this is a good way to see it

• yes frozen snow looks icy here..long bike looks like it will be prosponed..might do long run instead 

• I couldn't even open the garage to get to my bike this morning because the lock had frozen hard, so doesn't look like it will be coming out to play for the next few days, and the weekend looks like it will be getting worse image