Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That's a great tip. Thanks EP!

• You can buy a small gel flask/ bottle for a couple of quid, look on " discount supplements " some good cheap High 5 on there plus other stuff.

• Thanks Ridgeback

The instructer said to do some deep breathing then get in again, then star fish on back, then on front and breathe out in water, then deep breathe again. I did that and then did a little swim on the edge. was better and nearly thought of going round again but didn't.

In a strange way I'm looking forward to going again Tuesday. I think as you say I need to submerge my head more. Glad to have got the first session out of the way. Was feeling a little sick as I arrived - nervesimage

• You soon get used to it and i much prefer it to the pool last year me and 2 training buddies were about 1/2 mile off shore in a huge swell bobbing up and down just chilling out and  starfishing and the girls were comparing toenail varnish colours image totally at ease it just takes a bit of getting used to, got a sea swim planned tomorrow its gonna be chilly image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

SS - I agree - you just need to get used to the different feel. I'm a very confident swimmer but myfirst OW experiences were hideous! My first tri was an OW oly and I had a huge panic attack in the water, couldn't get my breath and couldn't put my face under water...

With a bit of practice in an unstressed situation, I'm now fine and even the first session of the year doesn't induce panic at all. Cold yes, but not panic.

Itll go from strength to strength, don't worry

• you survived the first one and things will only get better......you know what to work on and you have a plan........sorted 

i have a tri tomorrow.......its a really tough one and it has me worried......

a pool swim........i will be splashing like an idiot for 32 lengths.......an incredibly hilly 28 miles on the bike and then a 7 mile run which goes up the mountain to a folly......more nervous than before an ironman I think

• You'll be fine Seren, just keep pedalling til its time to run    image

• You can do it, Seren - I have faith in you!  image  

• You were fine on those Hay hills Seren image

I'm helping out on the swim tomorrow so I'll be shouting you some support!

• I'm going to need a lot of adrenaline to get me through this swimimage

• Extreme gardening image

2 hour run done then sea swim . The sea was so cold today only did about 20 mins then it took me about another 20 mins to change as my hands would not co operate image and that was with gloves and bootees cmon summer where the feck are you?

• That is amazing EP, there's no way in this world I could be out training at 4:30!

• Impressive commitment EP image

• morning,.......and its stopped raining.not sure for how long though...

good going EP...

• EP same with me when IM training i do my main sessions before work then usually any other stuff at lunchtime which frees up the evenings

• Probably helps that i am a bit of an insomniac and wake naturally around 4:30 most mornings image

• Terrible weekends training, illness from the son put paid to most of it, managed to get out for a swim on Saturday but had to cut that short as unbelievable cramp at 2.825K

Quick blast on the bike on Sunday28 miles treated like a TT so gunned it all the way, quite blowy out there and nearly ended up in a hedge on more than one occasion

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Saturday OW swim but it was so cold 13 degrees is a lot colder than 14 degrees did 1000 meters but need to double that ASAP. On the bike rain stopped play for me, 20 miles out and a  heavy down poor so quick 12 mile scuttle home again. Sunday was a repeat except I looked at the rain and canned the run. I got up at 5am today and did it instead.

Seeing as we're in for a wet summer I'm starting to wonder about wet weather gear for Outlaw as I really do not cope in the rain. Despite overshoes my feet were soaked and shoes sloshing with water, my waterproof jacket plain quit on me, even the inside pockets were wet. Life saver was I took a 2nd pair of gloves with me and despite getting wet finger tips were mostly dry so once the down poor slowed to rain I changed over gloves. Without them I would have been stuck as still lost a lot of feeling in my hands which made changing gears tricky.

So what can I take on the bike to stay warm and dry enough to finish it even if we have a summer storm?

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I have a pocket altura light weight rain jacket that is properly waterproof. I got caught in the rain 48 miles from home yesterday and although I got miserable, I didn't arrive soaked - at least not my top half anyway!

Tights and shorts were pretty soggy

• Nice riding k9.....

As you are on this thread..... are you outlawing????image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Undecided!!

I have an entry, but haven't run properly for years now and have had loads of injuries!

Anyway my  niggling injuries have meant the training has been a bit ad hoc and stop-start but haven't completEly halted me (yet).

Still a few weeks to break myself though

• Well my excitement at completing my first century ride yesterday was tainted by the worst ever long run today - managed 11 miles in the end, but a lot of run / walking, or not even walking sometimes. It was not pretty ... I guess that's what its going to be like on the day.

A good exercise in mental toughness, at least ... 

• Same here got up at 5 to ride into work its vile outside and i am tired gonna mooch around getthe trainand call this a rest day