Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• the pots which you add water to are disgusting.......I like the microwave ones but might not take the microwave this year.so will do amicrowave one on the hob image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

The pots with added water are pretty rank but if you add stuff to them they can be improved - I had one with a banana and a load of raisins and honey in it before Wild Boar as it was too early for a hotel breakfast...did the trick for me.

• If you cant get a microwave/,are camping my standby is weetabix, raisins and honey which is a nice supply of energy and sits easy on the tum

• Oh boo, sniffles and injuries and lack of mojo taking hold!  This lovely summer weather *snort* certainly isn't helping!!! Take it easy SA, and make sure you're keeping really well hydrated - that'll help as much as anything.  Hope the twinge buggers off pronto Matt - can you ice the area at all?  Apply a bit of R.I.C.E and that might help - also keep hydrated, will help the muscles. 

Ridgeback, my running mojo has also effed off, but i'm hoping to lure it back next week.  I've rejigged my training plan to give me just 2 weeks taper, as I feel i'm not progressing, so not sure I can manage 18 miles this weekend!  So moved everything back a week so I can do a bit less this weekend, in the hope 18 will come easier next weekend.  Hopefully a 2 week taper isn't too bad - at the mo I don't feel i can afford a taper, but not having one would probably be daft.

Glad you brought up the nutrition question Razor, as I need to think about it too.  Will be weird not starting a mara until the afternoon - need to work out what I ought to eat during the day before the race.....image

• Yeah, never had a problem with weetabix so I think I'll stick with what I know, thanks guys.

• 2k swim yesterday in 47 mins, should put me in about the 90 min mark so I happy with thatimage

• Now that we are the pointy end of training, how is everyone getting on with managing their heart rates?

I dont know if it is carrying fatigue from the long sessions at the weekend or the remains of a cold I have had, but on my mid week runs my HR is all over the shop.

In build I was in a place where i could regually maintain 155bpm at 13kmph, right now I am 160+ at 12.5kmph

Anyone else having the same

• morning....good luck to all doing the outlaw half.i'm off to do the enduroman half..looking forward to the race reports

• I must admit, I'm not paying much attention to HR and speed. I don't bother on long rides, and just focus on trying to get into z4 for the interval sessions.

At the min I'm just trusting that it'll all come together on the day and I'll still be smiling at the end. 

Wish I'd entered the half, though - really jealous of everyone (it seems) trotting off for weekend adventures!

• Good luck Seren - I'm off to outlaw half

My heart rate seemed to be lower than normal and I wondered if I needed to change the battery. Now it won't work with either a new one or the old one. imageGot a garmin 910. Is there anything special I'm meant to do when changing the battery

• Good luck to those racing anywhere this weekend, weahter looks like it is going to be perfect for it image

I am off up to Chester on Sat for a race on Sun, get to use the tent for the first time in prep for Outlaw

• I gave up on HRMs years ago I go on perceived effort instead

• Yes good luck to all that are racing the weekend, I feel like I've been neglecting my long runs in place of bikes, so i'm going to get a few in the next couple of weeks. Anybody else starting to think that this is getting very close, I'm not sure I feel fully prepared. 

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I've only discovered a HRM in the last month and was shocked to discover that if I go on perceived effort, my HR cycling is about 110 average (!!) and running is a very constant 130.

I am in the process of trying to push myself a bit harder. I've cut back a bit recently and feel a bit better for it I think.

• I used to monitor HR when I was cycling, but I found trying to get into Z2 nearly killed me, and everything I was doing seemed to be in Z4.  So then I tried it running, and found that no matter what i was practically in Z2 or Z1 all the time, lol.  If I tried to stay in Z4 i'd practically be walking.  So the upshot of all of that was that i've now binned the HRM.  Mind you, i'm not really improving, so I might rake it out again after the Outlaw mara (too late to worry about it now), and look out some HR training, see if it'll help.

Stanners, sounds like you might just need to ease off for a day or two - or are you sickening for something/getting a bit of a cold? 

• Oh yeah and all the very best of luck to the half Outlawers this weekend image  Sorry i'm not closer to come and shout at everyone, but i'll be down at Enduroman on Sunday shouting at people there instead image  and yeah, the weather looks perfect for both, excellent!!!

p.s. i should say, re above post, that i did use different Z1-4 for running and cycling

• Excellent!  Just in time EP

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

EP...I think you really should do the 100

You need to know how it feels, how to fuel etc etc

Any less will not be enough to 'know' at this stage...

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

If you cant manage a 100mile slow cycle at this stage with 5 weeks to go, then you need to seriously consider how you might manage the whole package etc

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
  • Ok Outlaw halfers, time to stop wibbling and get your acts together, its here and theres no going back, if this old buggar can get round thr DIY half in 7.19 then you young wipper snappers should nail it easily.

I wish everyone of you thats doing it the best of luck and hope you hit your targets,

4.5 mile run tonight at 9.13 pace HR was at the top end of Z2 but felt ok and it was great to run in the sun    image

• 2.5km swim done in about an hour, so happy for sunday's swim (except the cold)

May go for a little jog or somethign in the morning

Then its a case of trying  to fit everything in to the car, that could be interesting

• Swim time sounds good Matt, and remember you can draft on Sunday so you might be quicker image all the best for Sunday image