Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

just had to look up "percy pigs" will have to try them.

personally i think that 2 weeks out is too close for another 100 although recovery from cycling is fairly quick just not sure how much benefit it will give you other than as a confidence boost.

although some weeks ive exceeded the Fink recomendations, during the 3 week taper period i intend to use it as a guide to the maximum I should be doing and may well take extra recovery days.

• I would start to bring it down a bit now all this 100 malarky its just a number sounds like you had a very good experience so bank it call it your longest ride 

/100 whatever and move on with the training plan

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Nice one EP....well done

• nice training people.

EP - it depends on how long your 100 miler takes. 
    As rbm says there is not a massive reason to do more than a 6 hr ride...  You will get plenty of training benefit from that, without potentially putting you in a bad place.

then the next weekend nock out a 3 hr ride - and see how easy that will feel in comparison image.

Its good you still have energy - and its not surprising your legs are fried..... if thats your longest ride to date then well done.

Im getting excited by this now image

• oh chiltern 100 - i recon that was harder than Lanza image 

slower bike time by 12 minutes for about the same amount of climbing. 
    Meldy eome of the roads were indeed shit, esp one big downhill with crap tarmac for 10m long and 4 m wide.  How I survived (at 50 kph) i have no idea.

• Came back from Aston Hill down into the village today and those are some huge holes on the left ... good 12 inches deep in places
    Its a tough course!

• Had to jib the long bike this weekend after getting my bike out of the shed and feeling a twinge in my back. That put the frightners on me so spent the next few hours icing it. By Saturday afternoon felt ok so went for a run instead and managed 17 miles in a little over 2 hours which  was great. Then managed to sneak in my longest OW swim today, 3k in 61minutes.

EP, I m, going to get my second and last 100m bike in next week then start bringing the volume down, if it is not in the legs now, it never will be!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

I did my max ride last week and longest run yesterday.

No more runs over 13 from now, and after today, no major really long rides either, though will have a few days in the alps on bike next week....hilly but not too many miles.

Cycled 90 today.....mostly in big gears as my rear mech had seized up again and the chain kept falling off in the small chain ring.

Trip to bike shop again tomorrow.

• morning all

i have enjoyed my half yesterday despite slow swim and run.i forget how drinng the course is.......

really enjoying the sunshine at the moment,.i'm carless so hopefully teh garage can mend it soon as I realy need it....if they can mend it i will have to cycle or run the 9 miles uphill to get it

• Well done Seren

I had a fab time at Outlaw half yesterday. Weather fab though a little hot on the run and I had a grin on my face most of the day. OW demons were slayed but those bouys were a long way awayimage  6hs 47 much better than I thought but did take 13mins in T1image but I was so cold my fingers didn't want to function

• well done SS.....briliant result..........just the time and confidence booster you nedd.......nearly an hour quicker than my half yesterday image

• It's strange though isn't it. Can't quite imagine doubling that in just 5 weeksimage

• Don't think about having to double it SS!  I ran 11.5 miles yesterday and can in no way whatsoever imagine being able to do a marathon in 5 weeks, lol.

Congrats to all the half Outlaws!  Glad you got good weather for it too.  At least now you have a taste of what's ahead in July image

Great day supporting at Enduroman yesterday!  Seren did so well, as did Soupy who did the half too, and Doner who finished the double.  I walked a lap of the run course - jeez it is tough.  The lap itself isn't too horrific until you think you've got to do loads of them.  I even managed to get 2 blisters just walking it!!! 

• EP

you cant go wrong with Park Tools website

http://m.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/category

and Sheldon Brown

http://sheldonbrown.com/

• Outlaw half was great yesterday but it was also a bit of a moment of reality 

its 5 weeks to go. Take two weeks off to taper and there's three weeks of training 

I've been slack and missed a fair bit of what I should have been doing, I've also got a fair bit on for the next month.

what should I do to give myself as ,much chance as possible? I'm realistic enough to see that it will be a case trying to hit cutoffs, and risk being pulled at some point.

Longest ride so far 105, longest run 13.1, longest swim 3.5k (once)

Stuff I'm already booked for: this weekend Berlin Velothon (120km) 3 days of travelling); 15th working all day 16th kilotogo Lancashire hotpot middle route; 22nd working all day 23rd kilotogo flat out in the fens 112. Fitting long runs in is going to be tricky.

Any suggestions for the final 3 weeks? just lots of runs as and when I can fit them in? I don't have easy access to open water so I'll have to put pool time in.

• Matt my view is do not go mad try to make up for lost time and get injured accept what. You have done carry on with your planned programme you will be fine on race day if you just accept you will just have a longer tougher day than if you had stuck with. Your program

• Told you SS image So glad it worked out - well done!

Matt - you seem to have the bike miles, what is your average speed like? My coach wouldn't have me run for more than two and a half hours max when IM training, he thinks that increasing run frequency, even if the extra runs are only 30 minutes, will do more good and have less risk of injury. If it were me I think I would fit in as much running as I could handle around those long bikes but all at an easy pace. Is the swim an issue or were you ok at the half? If the former - pool time - if the latter and you need to sacrifice something make it a swim.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • I averaged  about 18 mph at outlaw half and 16 on my century ride. The swim was 42minutes, but that was half breast stroke and half crawl. The thought of having to go the same distance again fills me with dread!

My problem with a 2.5 hour max run is that takes me non more than half mara. Guess I can walk the rest.

• plently of time Matt..with those bike times you could walk the whole marathon so stop worrying.just keep going without doing anything stupid and you will be fine........

so will your swim.you will keep going as you have no other choice on the day and your times are well quick enough

• Yeah Matt sounds like you'll make the bike cut off fairly easily with those times, and even if you just made it through the cut-off, you'd have 7 hours for the mara, and could walk it. Even if you ran half and walked the rest you'd make it, but i think you'll do better than you think image just don't go mental and injure yourself

• Matt / EP, I think we are all at that stage where we are thinking "crap, 4 weeks and 5 days...panic." You have put plenty in over the last 26 weeks to get you through on the 7th.

Trust the training (as I keep saying to myself)

• I'm not sure why drinking water would be bad, so long as you are taking on some salts etc, so electrolyte tablets/powder would be good if you like them.  Or mix them up - you might not want sweet stuff all the time.  What did you eat/drink on your longest ride EP? If it worked, stick with that. Don't try too many new nutrition things on the day, in case something doesn't agree with you. test out what you're going to eat and drink on the day, then go with that

• Matt - with those swim and bike speeds you'll be fine, only those at the pointy end run the whole marathon anyway. May be an idea to determine a run/walk strategy that you'll stick to once you cannot continue to run - much faster doing this than randomly walking and running bits - or you could try the run 200 steps walk 100 steps strategy that works really well for some.

I drink more water than anything when racing and don't need to pee on the bike - though I do usually want one as soon as I get off it! Never used salt tabs/sticks either. Electrolyte drinks and gels would contain sodium.

Sore knees on the bike usually means your saddle is too low - no idea if that's the case for you obviously EP but may be worth considering?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • EP I use water and Nuun  it takes seconds to stop and put in tab and gives you an excuse to stretch your back image

• i prefer the salt tabs purely because i began to dislike the taste of nunn  and similar drinks so i was finding i was not drinking enough.so i drink water or squash or energy drink and pop the tablets in.just whichever is your preference

• on yesterday's 100 miler I had less porridge for brekkie to simulate being hungry after the swim, and after an hour of riding had a wholemeal bagel with peanut butter. That was great, so on the day I'm gonna put one on each aero bar to refuel after the swim.

drink-wise - had 2 x 750 bottles of High5 and peed twice, but not on the bike!!!

12 Miles into today's long run/walk I was completely done in, but then met up with my running club and got a real boost, finishing quite strongly after 16 miles, so pleased with that ... Legs are really trashed now, though