Fink for outlaw 2013

Comments

• Great training Britrisky! Bagels on your aerobars is inspired. Think i'd rather have a donut though.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, donuts image image

• Lee thePea wrote (see)

Great training Britrisky! Bagels on your aerobars is inspired. Think i'd rather have a donut though.... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, donuts image image

Now that's inspired!

• With the length of those aerobars, i reckon they'd be good for about 6 donuts each image

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Bagels on the areo bars - hilarious!!

I need to do that - I seem to have lost weight over the last few weeks.

I'm a bit surprised as exercise generally = huge appetite and I'm pretty good at keeping up with it. In fact I seem to be eating constantly, to the point where I can't really think of what to eat next, despite feeling hungry.

In the past when I've done a lot of training I've usually gained weight, but lost fat...

Anyone else finding this??!

• Matt,

Youre times a very good for a relative beginner, 42 min swim isnt at all shabby, especially with a mixture of breaststroke.  Your bike speed is good.

Just keep doing what youre doing now and get yourself to the start line fit and tapered, youre not going to make any massive advances from the last 5 weeks training.

You seem a bit down on your swim time, would 35 mins have made you ecstatic?  7 mins quicker (overall 15 mins on a full distance swim).  15 mins over the day can be made or lost simply by hammering through transition, feeding problems on the bike, a puncture etc etc. 

Sounds to me like youre quite ready, I wouldnt worry about run speed either, the run will be what it is and come together on the day, its just a case of keep moving forward.

HTFU image

• re nutrition / drinks.

I have a bottle of high5 zero and a bottle of sports drnik on the bike.
    I drink the high5 for the first 15 minutes post swim, (let the stomach settle a bit) then swap to sports drink for the rest if the ride.  just grab what they provide and drink it.

i use the remaining high5 zero to wash gels / solid food down.  when its empty ditch the bottle and grab water.

I agree with a couple of wees over the ride - any more and slow the drinking down.  The volume of drink you need really depends on temperature.  I used to recon a bike bottle an hour but I did the chiltern 100 (6 hrs) on 3 bottles, as it was only 15-18 degrees ish.

simples

EP - gels in a bottle is the way to go, just don't get bored of the flavour you plan to use.
    In lanza I bought along 15 torq black cherry yoghout gels.  I have used these for the last 3 IMs.  However I had one on a training ride and it came straight back up so had to buy 15 banana high 5 gels.  They were lovely image

• re the final weeks.....

biking beats running (but then I can't run any more so I am biased)

How about a big day?
    Swim for an hour
    eat, recover, sit around for an hour
    Bike for 5-6 hours - 120-150k??
    eat more, recover, sit around for a bit
    Run for an hour.

if you are worried about your run endurance then I would not bother with a run 2.5 hrs, (as LMH said).  Again I would use run frequency to build volume.  ie why not throw in some extra 30 min runs on those days you are not running...?

again only if you have no injuries and are not fried.

Taper - really personal, and going long / fink has some good ideas.
    final big bike 2 weeks out (5-6 hrs) - you have lots of time to recover from this.
    reduce the long run down to 90 minutes 2 weeks out - running beats you up and you need to recover
    3 hour bike the weekend before - use race kit - practice and make sure there is no chaffing.  no race number or chip though please.
    race week - back running right off esp the last 4 days.

swim a couple of times a week, and don't worry if you have not swam the distance, I had not done more than 3k before my first.image

enjoy

• I know Matt quite well and believe me, he is ready

If I have to tie him up and drag him down to HPP to get him to the start line I will.

We did a century ride together and i struggled to keep up with him most of the time.

If we could all remember what we where like before our first one, I'm sure its just the standard I haven't done enough feelings we all had

• Yep its all first timer nerves treat your first one as a long days training with food provided and you will not go far wrong snd as Barley said accept what you have done if its to little ....tough its to late tomake it up you will just have a longer harder race day if you have done the majority of the training great you will be fine judt focus now on getting to the line fit , rested and get some good quality fodder and sleep sortedand the jobs a goodone 

• Isnt the training and first Ironman just a practise and a base to build on for your 2nd and 3rd image

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Isnt the training and first Ironman just a practise and a base to build on for your 2nd and 3rd image

Usually yes but I've never been as fast as my first, until this time that is image

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

Isnt the training and first Ironman just a practise and a base to build on for your 2nd and 3rd image

Hopefully.  1st = DNF. 2nd = Finish image

• It is okay to be a little nervous - who wouldn't be?  Taking part in an IM is huge, and because so many people do it on here, it almost becomes run of the mill.  It is a major achievement though, and it'll be so fantastic to watch everyone cross the line image Well, I say watch, I mean hear about it afterwards as i'll probably still be out there running, hahahahaha. I'm not sure anyone EVER feels like they've done enough, and especially when you get to taper time, you worry you'll lose all your fitness, but you won't.  From what everyone has been posting on here, the training you've been doing looks great, and I have to say the volume/quality of training by folk is much higher than I managed, so you're on for a much better outcome. 

The main thing is just to soak up the atmosphere on the day, stay in the moment and enjoy ever second.  It is going to be MUCHO FUN!!! imageimageimageimage

• Just reading back and catching up as I have a day off.  Thoroughly enjoyed the Outlaw half at the weekend.  Over the moon with my time.  Wanted to pop on here and say a mahoosive thanks to Mr SA and the pirate crew on the run, made me smile each time I passed which is unheard of whilst I am running. Kept me plodding so many thanks for the great support.

Matt, you have no need to be worrying, I saw you on the run and you still looked strong to me.  You will be fine, don't be daunted by the full, it's just two halves image

I am looking forward to the 7th as in a relay and doing my favourite bit so it will be smiles from me on the day. image

• The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

I'm not nervous at all *lies through teeth* and I'm full of confidence in my training and fitness and abilities *crosses fingers firmly*

Just mailed LBS and they are going to do a priority 24hr turn round on bike service for me - this makes me very happy image

Give your bike a good test ride after a service, useful to try out any gremlins, e.g. brakes could be off centre, cables may need adjustment etc (if required take it back)

• Do we know yet what the run route is on 7th? Was it EP saying it's now 2 x 13mile loops. I think it's a shame if it is because we won't get to see our families supporting as much. I know small loops can be boring but I thought it made 2 hours pass quite quickly on Sunday and I saw my husband lots.

• love it SA I think you'll be behind lu in the queue to drag me there image

The pirate support is amazing, on the course and off the course, there's always someone with the right response, even if it is HTFU image

MrsSA was funny shouting 'its not a knitting club' at me through a mini loud hailer, picked my pace up a big then (until they were out of sightimage )

I'm hoping the run isn't two long loops, I think I'd prefer 4 loops of what we did at the half, at least you get to see everyone more 

What will be will be image

• the map doesn't seem to talky with the race guide  the map looks like 2 laps whilst the guide says 4 (3 3/4)

• What the fook is happening on that run route? Lol can't quite work it out. so loop of lake, head out to river area, do lots of back and forths then head back?

• Looks nice though, lots of running* beside the river.  Just noticed the 15 mile marker back at the lake, so two bizarre loops it is. It'll be good though because you'll see folk all the time with the switchbacks, which will help with motivation and support image

*jogging/walking

• 7755matt wrote (see)

the map doesn't seem to talky with the race guide  the map looks like 2 laps whilst the guide says 4 (3 3/4)

The Race guide is last years course, it is two laps now.

• I can understand why they have done it to stop the congestion on the tow path but seems a bit of a mess when you cross the bridge near the football club.

• i am going to get dizzy with that.....

do we still get free camping as a participant..?

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

OC...what's with the kona-7?